Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 08:53 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
I agree, I was baiting our ACLU poster.
The definition of a troll post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Seemes to be the favorite phrase thrown on those opposing gay marriage----------"and just how does that affect your marriage?--
There's a reason for that. Namely, the opponents of gay marriage (or even civil unions) are constantly claiming that same-sex marriage will destroy the institution of marriage.

If you're admitting that argument is bogus, so much the better.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
I wonder if the best answer is to conduct a survey with the current troops. Gathering results will cost a lot of money but it might produce the proper course of action?
How would that be relevant?

I would bet that if we had conducted a survey with current troops about racial integration of the armed forces the day it happened it would have been overwhelmingly against it.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:06 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
We have a system of civilian control of the government in the United States. It's served us well for over two hundred years. The idea that a general, or anyone in the military, would simply choose not to follow orders because he doesn't like the Commander in Chief is intolerable.
--"because he doesn't like the Commander in Chief"

Nice twist, accusing of military people who are opposed to a proposed major change in military policy as doing so because they don't like the Commander in Chief.

This is the kind of junk that keeps popping up everytime Obama's proposed ideas get challenged-------accuse people that the only reason they are opposed is cuz they don't like Obama.

That "horse" is getting old and getting tired.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
--"because he doesn't like the Commander in Chief"

Nice twist, accusing of military people who are opposed to a proposed major change in military policy as doing so because they don't like the Commander in Chief.
You should have read my post.

I'm not accusing this general of anything. What I am doing is accusing the author of the post I quoted of saying that a general would be justified in refusing to obey the orders of a commander in chief he doesn't like.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:03 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,306,635 times
Default Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
The military is not a democracy.

The UCMJ was written by congress, not by the military.

We can not allow our military to begin making up it's own rules.

Our military is the enforcement arm of the government, controlled by elected officials. The day that our military takes up the reins to control itself, to decide for itself what it will do, is the day that 'freedom' ends.
I am not trying to being rude but apparently you retired awhile ago. They do conduct surveys.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:08 AM

Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
jbub22 wrote;

I think you would see a very wide divergence based upon age and background. Younger troops were raised on TV shows like "Will and Grace" and probably knew kids in high school and college who were "out". OTOH you have some who were raised in families in very strong denial.

I served with guys who were widely acknowlegded to be gay, but were also known as the most squared away troops in our group. No no asked, no one told and no one "acted out" in a way to get anyone in trouble. BTW, this was in the late '60s!
I agree. This is a very tough scenerio for any generation. But, I think a survey could maybe test the waters. Like I said in a prior post, I am sooo glad I am not a decision maker for this situation.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:08 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
3-star not reprimanded for gay ban letter
By Anne Flaherty - The Associated Press
Posted : Wednesday Mar 31, 2010 21:59:31 EDT

"WASHINGTON — A high-ranking Army general won’t be formally reprimanded after urging troops to lobby to keep the ban on openly gay military service.
President Barack Obama supports lifting the ban, and an active attempt to keep it in place could be considered insubordination.
But Lt. Gen. Benjamin Mixon’s civilian boss says the three-star Army general won’t receive a letter of reprimand or be forced to step down. Army Secretary John McHugh told reporters Wednesday that Mixon has been told by Army Chief of Staff Gen. George Casey that what he did was inappropriate.
“The chief and I believe that he is now prepared to lead in the very distinguished manner in which he has led in the past and that brought him to a very, very high level three-star position,” McHugh said.
“So we will consider the matter closed as of today,” he added." The story continues here: 3-star not reprimanded for gay ban letter - Army News, news from Iraq, - Army Times

Old 04-01-2010, 10:09 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
I am not trying to being rude but apparently you retired awhile ago. They do conduct surveys.
Which surveys have actually caused a change in the UCMJ or Presidential Execututive Order?

Old 04-01-2010, 10:16 AM

Default Racism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
How would that be relevant?

I would bet that if we had conducted a survey with current troops about racial integration of the armed forces the day it happened it would have been overwhelmingly against it.

Now you are accusing our AD of being homophobic (sp) and racist. I served 20 years and only recently retired. I know for sure, with 100% confidence, that our current AD force is not racist. But, I will agree, just a little, because there are RARE incidents. You are wrong, my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues