Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 07:23 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuckNDill View Post
For exactly the reason I stated...safety and privacy, not to mention Equal Opportunity. You cant protect the privacy of a female soldier from the peeping eyes of a male soldier unless you afford that same protection to a straight male against a gay male. EO flags would go up all over the place.

bottom line is...you dont know what you dont know. I consider my self to be understanding and tolerant but I still would not want to bunked in a 2 man room with a gay male soldier. The policy is fine as it is now.

let me ask a question...what is the benifit to the soldier to be openly gay? There is NONE! will the freedom that soldier feels for not having to hide his/her sexuality outway the backlash from other soldiers? I dont think so.
your post is quite similar to what the Commander of the Marine Corps stated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 07:25 PM

5 posts, read 6,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
your post is quite similar to what the Commander of the Marine Corps stated.
I havent read that. Do you have a link to it?

Old 03-30-2010, 07:38 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:
For exactly the reason I stated...safety and privacy, not to mention Equal Opportunity. You cant protect the privacy of a female soldier from the peeping eyes of a male soldier unless you afford that same protection to a straight male against a gay male. EO flags would go up all over the place.

bottom line is...you dont know what you dont know. I consider my self to be understanding and tolerant but I still would not want to bunked in a 2 man room with a gay male soldier. The policy is fine as it is now.

let me ask a question...what is the benifit to the soldier to be openly gay? There is NONE! will the freedom that soldier feels for not having to hide his/her sexuality outway the backlash from other soldiers? I dont think so.

Where is the benefit to the Army to keep it all under wraps? There isn't any. All the things you fear "might" happen won't. Virtually the same arguments were advanced against ending segregation in the military and they never materialized either.

The benefit to the soldier? I don't know if you'd call it a benefit or not, but if he's good enough to risk his life for his country, and sometimes lose that life, he ought to be good enough to be who he is openly and freely, just like every other soldier. It's not so much an issue of benefit as it is one of fairness.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Where is the benefit to the Army to keep it all under wraps? There isn't any. All the things you fear "might" happen won't. Virtually the same arguments were advanced against ending segregation in the military and they never materialized either.

The benefit to the soldier? I don't know if you'd call it a benefit or not, but if he's good enough to risk his life for his country, and sometimes lose that life, he ought to be good enough to be who he is openly and freely, just like every other soldier. It's not so much an issue of benefit as it is one of fairness.
Just becasue there is NOT a benifit to the soldier does not automatically mean that there IS a benifit to the Army. As an NCO my priority is to look out for the soldiers well being, not to speculate whether certain actions will or wont materialize. If one of my soldiers is gay and he feels the need to come out once the policy changes, i will support him...but it is also my responsibility to keep him from uneccissary harm. I would ask him "what is the benifit to you?" then let him make his own decision.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Just becasue there is NOT a benifit to the soldier does not automatically mean that there IS a benifit to the Army. As an NCO my priority is to look out for the soldiers well being, not to speculate whether certain actions will or wont materialize. If one of my soldiers is gay and he feels the need to come out once the policy changes, i will support him...but it is also my responsibility to keep him from uneccissary harm. I would ask him "what is the benifit to you?" then let him make his own decision.

That's it in an nutshell. Whether the policy changes or not, command influence can, and will, shortchange any adverse reaction. At the end of the day, it's up the NCO's and Officers to enforce the policy and keep their troops under control.

I have no doubt they can do it.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
That's it in an nutshell. Whether the policy changes or not, command influence can, and will, shortchange any adverse reaction. At the end of the day, it's up the NCO's and Officers to enforce the policy and keep their troops under control.

I have no doubt they can do it.
I do belive that the policy will change in the near future and when it does, my responsibility will be the protection the new policy will provide those that decide to come out. As of now the policy is still in effect. Its my responsibility to enforce it and I will do so.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:15 AM

Quote:
I do belive that the policy will change in the near future and when it does, my responsibility will be the protection the new policy will provide those that decide to come out. As of now the policy is still in effect. Its my responsibility to enforce it and I will do so.
Drive on Sergeant!

Old 03-31-2010, 09:32 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,032,466 times
Another factor is that if the military extended benefits to the partners of the gay service members it would cost millions of dollars $$$

You ready to pony of the extra taxes stillkit?

Old 03-31-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
Another factor is that if the military extended benefits to the partners of the gay service members it would cost millions of dollars $$$

You ready to pony of the extra taxes stillkit?

That would only happen if they were allowed to marry, which they aren't yet. Right now, the service doesn't extend benefits to unmarried heterosexual soldiers either, so that's not an issue.

In the future? Yes, I'd be willing to pay for that. We don't kick about paying for benefits to married hetero soldiers, so what's the difference? Besides, with a multi-billion dollar defense budget so loaded with weapons systems lard and paid "consultants," I don't think the money would be hard to find, do you?

Old 03-31-2010, 05:12 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,306,635 times
I wonder if the best answer is to conduct a survey with the current troops. Gathering results will cost a lot of money but it might produce the proper course of action?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues