U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 09:28 PM

63 posts, read 157,068 times

Advertisements

Son #2 ETS'd on 10/15/15 and has been on terminal leave since mid September. We drove cross country (mid September) and visited the Flight 93 Memorial in Western PA Flight 93 National Memorial (U.S. National Park Service) . We spent time at Gettysburg PA, and did a haunted walk. The battlefield is untouched. We sat out by General Lee's cannons overlooking the battlefield where Pickets charge took place. Sitting in the darkness on a hot summer night, listening to the hum of the cicada's, and enjoying a cigar, we realized that something spectacular occurred there July 1-3, 1863, 153 years ago. I will never forget that night. We sat on huge tree that was taken down. A great memory for the two of us. Son #2 is glad he finished what he started. He told me being a 31E is a struggle. It is a default MOS for individuals flushed out of other MOS'. As a result the 31E MOS does not have the espirit de corps that other MOS' have because a lot of the soldiers there don't want to be there. He wished he did another MOS and thought that being a 31E, that it was every man for himself. He is glad that he is finally out. His final night at Fort Leavenworth Kansas, we sat on the banks of the Missouri River and had a nice chat. If you have never been to Fort Leavenworth, the base is pristine and there are lots of statues and cannons everywhere depicting the history of the base. So now both my boys are out of the service. Both were 31E's yet both had very different experiences. Son #2 has been accepted to a State University in Massachusetts. He had 60 college credits from a prior Associate Degree. The University gave him 16 college credits for his military training. So he is 3 semesters short of a Bachelors degree. He will take advantage of the GI Bill.

Last edited by sgttrunk; 10-17-2015 at 09:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 08:07 PM

Son #2 got hired by his hometown Police Department. Massachusetts has civil service, and veterans during a declared war receive veteran's preference. They get placed above civilians on the civil service list, and below disabled veterans and sons/daughters whose parents are killed/maimed in the line of duty. He is in the second week of the police academy. Both son#1 and son#2 will work on the same police department, and followed their dad's footsteps into law enforcement. Son #2 has the GI Bill and will complete his BS degree after completing the police academy. He was accepted to Worcester State University but withdrew this semester once the police department notified him they were interviewing him for a job. Son #2 could not be in school, and attend the police academy at the same time. Tough ride in the military for son #2. Reflecting back in time, he realizes the opportunities after the service were directly related to being in the service, and being honorably discharged. As a parent I can not tell you how grateful I am to the United States Army, and the opportunities that both my boys got after their time in the service, which were directly related to being in the service. Son #3 just turned 15 last week. The story never ends.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:49 AM

11,987 posts, read 10,678,285 times
I really enjoyed reading through this thread, sgt. I'm glad things worked out so well for your boys. I wish them the best in the years to come.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:21 PM

Thanks WestCobb! I hope the dialogue helps some young man or woman make a decision on whether or not to be a 31E.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:40 PM

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Old 11-11-2016, 08:37 PM

Son #2 Graduated from the Police Academy in mid October and is riding with his FTO https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Old 02-04-2017, 08:30 AM

Son#1 transferred from Hometown PD to Amesbury MA PD because of education incentives. Here he is pictured on the right on the 2nd day on the his new job! Amesbury police charge man with trafficking more than 100 pounds of pot | News | newburyportnews.com

Old 04-07-2018, 06:11 PM

Son number #3 expressing an interest in going into the military. Other two boys gently pushing him away from being an Army 31E. Let you guys know where he ends up. Still a couple years away!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues