U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-13-2010, 01:34 PM
 
Location: Hawaii
1,707 posts, read 6,118,930 times
Reputation: 1049

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
You are not understanding what I am saying....

I'm saying that as an Officer, you NEED a degree for rank....that is why they have DEGREE Completion (you take 18 months off while on active duty to complete your degree). You DO NOT have to have a 4 year degree to become an officer....initally....
Maybe in the Navy, but in the Army and Air Force a 4 year degree is required to be commissioned.

Warrant Officers in the Army do not require a degree but they are appointed and not commissioned; there is a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-13-2010, 01:46 PM
 
28,082 posts, read 15,889,420 times
Reputation: 6132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
Maybe in the Navy, but in the Army and Air Force a 4 year degree is required to be commissioned.

Warrant Officers in the Army do not require a degree but they are appointed and not commissioned; there is a difference.
I'm retired Army....

Straight from AR 621-1

Paragraph 1-1

This regulation provides policies for full-time educational programs (fully and partially funded) for active duty commissioned, noncommissioned, and warrant officers in civilian schools, commerce, or industry, and applicable service schools that offer accredited degrees (Section 4301, Title 10, United States Code (10 USC 4301)). The programs meet the Army’s need for commissioned and warrant officers to be educated at the undergraduate andgraduate degree levels. The programs support the following Army goals
(1) That all commissioned officers obtain a baccalaureate degree. Officers are also encouraged to obtain anadvanced degree in a field related to one of their specialties by taking part in off-duty educational programs.
2) To educate selected officers on a full-time basis to an advanced degree level to meet needs validated by the Army Educational Requirements System (AERS), in accordance with Army Regulation (AR) 621–108
(3) That all career warrant officers be encouraged to obtain their associate degree in a field related to their specialty by the time they reach their fifth year of warrant officer service. Warrant officers are also encouraged to obtain a baccalaureate degree by the 13th year of warrant officer service in a field related to their functional specialty by takingpart in off-duty educational programs.

Chapter 4

Paragraph 4-1
While pursuing a degree, the officer receives full pay and allowances with the majority of tuition and other schooling costs paid by the officer from personal funds and/or benefits to which the officer was entitled. The officer attends school instead of performing his/her usual military duties. Army partially funded programs are covered in chapters 4 and 5 of this regulation
Paragraph 4-1c
Service members taking part in the DCP will do so in the minimum uninterrupted time required, normally 12 months, to complete all degree requirements. Transfer from one degree to another is not authorized. Enrollment into DCP will not exceed 18 months


Remember you can get WAIVERS for everything in the Army........even becoming an Officer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2010, 01:56 PM
 
Location: New Mexico U.S.A.
23,466 posts, read 37,367,368 times
Reputation: 27373
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
You are not understanding what I am saying....

I'm saying that as an Officer, you NEED a degree for rank....that is why they have DEGREE Completion (you take 18 months off while on active duty to complete your degree). You DO NOT have to have a 4 year degree to become an officer....initally....
I believe currently ALL the Commisioned Officer programs currently require a bachelors degree to become commissioned.

This has not been the case in the past. But I think we are talking currently.

I agree with Balad1 except There are some Warrant Officer positions which do not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2010, 01:58 PM
 
Location: New Mexico U.S.A.
23,466 posts, read 37,367,368 times
Reputation: 27373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
Warrant Officers in the Army do not require a degree but they are appointed and not commissioned; there is a difference.
The Army has Commisioned Warrant Officers to add to the confusion.


Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2010, 02:02 PM
 
Location: New Mexico U.S.A.
23,466 posts, read 37,367,368 times
Reputation: 27373
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I'm retired Army....

Straight from AR 621-1

Paragraph 1-1
That is the education programs which bassically applies to ALL US Army personnel. those who have become commissioned in the past are included. But currently, meaning right now, you can not apply to be a commisioned officer without having the degree.


Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2010, 02:08 PM
 
28,082 posts, read 15,889,420 times
Reputation: 6132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
That is the education programs which bassically applies to ALL US Army personnel. those who have become commissioned in the past are included. But currently, meaning right now, you can not apply to be a commisioned officer without having the degree.


Rich

I'll agree with that, I have been retired now for 7 months....15 months ago, I know (for a fact) that we were still sending people to degree completion....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2010, 02:12 PM
 
28,082 posts, read 15,889,420 times
Reputation: 6132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
The Army has Commisioned Warrant Officers to add to the confusion.


Rich
Correct, while a W1...you are not commisioned...W-2 you are commisioned...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2010, 02:20 PM
 
Location: New Mexico U.S.A.
23,466 posts, read 37,367,368 times
Reputation: 27373
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I'll agree with that, I have been retired now for 7 months....15 months ago, I know (for a fact) that we were still sending people to degree completion....
I was offered the degree completion program in the late 70's or 80's as Enlisted. At the time I did not want the added obligation, 2 years service for each year of benefit's provided. Looking back, it was a good deal, (you go to college full time, you get your military pay, your college expenses are covered). One of my Company Commanders went through the program. And I had met a few others.

Tuition assistance was another program the Army offered, but it depended on the post where you were assigned. Take a college class, get reimbursed up to 95% (but that varied).

You have some Reserve or Possibly National Guard who are coming back to active duty which do not have the degree and can use those programs.

So, there are a lot of situations...



Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2010, 02:35 PM
 
28,082 posts, read 15,889,420 times
Reputation: 6132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I was offered the degree completion program in the late 70's or 80's as Enlisted. At the time I did not want the added obligation, 2 years service for each year of benefit's provided. Looking back, it was a good deal, (you go to college full time, you get your military pay, your college expenses are covered). One of my Company Commanders went through the program. And I had met a few others.

Tuition assistance was another program the Army offered, but it depended on the post where you were assigned. Take a college class, get reimbursed up to 95% (but that varied).

You have some Reserve or Possibly National Guard who are coming back to active duty which do not have the degree and can use those programs.

So, there are a lot of situations...



Rich
Tuition assistance rocks now...100% tuition paid up-front by the Army... (just have to buy books)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2010, 02:40 PM
 
11,753 posts, read 10,331,136 times
Reputation: 9568
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreidi View Post
I enlisted in the Air Force with a Bachelor's Degree. The reason I did it was the waiting time and for what MrSykes points out. In addition, I do not have the proper letters of recommendations that are needed to apply successfully. I might have a shot but it is not likely i'll make it given the current circumstances.




They start you E3 max. Unless you did ROTC, have a degree in Military Science, or have a lot of experience in the field you are going in to.
hmmm... I enlisted in the Army with a bachelor's degree. I started out as an E-4. For the record, a lot of enlisted people in my career field have college degrees. We're often better educated than our officers, which is a big adjustment for many of them. (The branch in mid career ... after spending a decade with tankers or ground pounders, they are taken aback by confident privates who have no trouble speaking evenly and authoratively to generals.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top