U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 10:44 PM

23,000 posts, read 35,211,728 times

Advertisements

"What percent of new enlisted people stay in 20 years or longer ?"

If you believe this persons article: Hamilton: Military retirement, 83-percent never make it | SkyHiDailyNews.com

"Returning to 2011: Today, due mainly to better battle-field care, 17-percent of the force is making it to the 20-year retirement mark."

But it appears he is talking about officers... But I have suspicions on the article....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 06:39 PM

68 posts, read 62,332 times
Are their any ex- vets like myself that served in a branch and never did 20 years and wished they did ? I was enlisted in the US Navy from 1994- 97 and Army National Guard from 2001- 2004 and really didn't care for either one too much , but being unemployed for over a year has me thinking for the first time maybe I should have stayed in and wonder how many people are thinking the same thing when times are hard . I believe many that make a career out of the military do it because of steady pay, free benefits and a pension when they get out .

Old 08-02-2012, 09:12 PM

16,061 posts, read 18,940,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post

If you believe this persons article: Hamilton: Military retirement, 83-percent never make it | SkyHiDailyNews.com

"Returning to 2011: Today, due mainly to better battle-field care, 17-percent of the force is making it to the 20-year retirement mark."

But it appears he is talking about officers... But I have suspicions on the article....
If no one got out there would only be a promotion when someone retired or died
I've worked for Police Departments with lower retirement rates

Old 08-02-2012, 09:57 PM

10,435 posts, read 10,307,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeboy175 View Post
Are their any ex- vets like myself that served in a branch and never did 20 years and wished they did ? I was enlisted in the US Navy from 1994- 97 and Army National Guard from 2001- 2004 and really didn't care for either one too much , but being unemployed for over a year has me thinking for the first time maybe I should have stayed in and wonder how many people are thinking the same thing when times are hard . I believe many that make a career out of the military do it because of steady pay, free benefits and a pension when they get out .
I thought about it, but not for unemployment reasons, but because I missed the excitement of the job. But then I think about reasons why I got out, and I really enjoy the civilian life I have now. I have been out for a while now and have zero feelings of ever going back in.

I met a few who went back in, all of them because of unemployment reasons.

Pension will depend, no one guarantees you will advance to E7, E8, or even E6. I know someone who retired at an E5, it is just some pocket change.

Of course many do make a career out of it, hardly any other job gives such great pay and benefits through an OJT program that is relatively easy to get into, and the job security is great. For people going in, hardly any job gives such pay and benefits for someone with just a high school education, and again, that is relatively easy to get in.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:01 PM

Just a reminder, The Topic of this thread is: What percent of new enlisted people stay in 20 years or longer ?

Thanks in advance,

Rich

Old 08-04-2012, 01:45 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,029,988 times
I guess I fit in this statistic somewhere. I fully plan on making the 20 year mark .I'm 20 years old and recently enlisted... And by that, I mean I'm sitting in reception right now at BCT. Fireguard tonight, so I'm on my phone browsing C-D.

Off to Basic next week, then AIT in October. Pretty excited.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:38 PM

6,351 posts, read 18,077,535 times
Well, there are so many variables to making it to 20 years. Not everyone wants to make the military a career. Needs of the service definitely come in play; many military specialties need lots of labor at the E-1 to E-5 level but considerably less at higher pay grades. So members may be forced out or be mandatorily retrained into another job. Some sustain career-ending injuries. And some leave under unfavorable conditions... And even end strength that is authorized by Congress changes based on the needs of the services at any given time.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:08 PM

499 posts, read 1,635,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post

I think that figure, 17%, is pretty accurate. I believe it accounts for all ranks. When the discussion of changing a military retirement was gaining traction in the news, all sorts of numbers were being thrown around and I do remember the retirement rate being below 20%.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyGuy View Post
I think that figure, 17%, is pretty accurate.
Yes, thannks! Someone just brought this to my attention:
“Most military people are not going to retire [in the military],” says Lawrence J. Korb, a senior fellow at the Center for American Progress, who served as assistant secretary of defense under President Ronald Reagan. “Only 17 percent of current service members will stay 20 years.”
Possible Overhaul of Military Retirement System Stirs Fear
Published: Tuesday, 8 May 2012
By: Alec Foege,
Special to CNBC.com
Retirement 2012 - Military Retirement Benefits Face the Ax -US Business News - CNBC

Old 08-04-2012, 10:09 PM

499 posts, read 1,635,076 times
Very surprising number-- to me anyway. My gut would have told me it was a lot higher. Maybe 30-35%. But when I think about all of the folks I know who left the service, it starts to ring very true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues