U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 04:31 AM

21 posts, read 3,416 times

Advertisements

I joined at 18 and retired at 38. My monthly check is guaranteed unless I go on a crime spree. My point is, oldsoldier, your right on the math but what about health leading up to 60. Luckily nothing happened to you so the math worked out, others are not so lucky. Others have to be lucky too and I have seen some limp into 60.

Another point, that monthly check gives me the flexibility to quit my after retirement career whenever I want to.
Obviously there are several paths to a good retirement but I chose the 18 to 38 path, so now I can work on my next retirement check. It's less risky to finish your career at 38 or 40 something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 06:30 AM

4,100 posts, read 3,690,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbub88 View Post
I joined at 18 and retired at 38. My monthly check is guaranteed unless I go on a crime spree. My point is, oldsoldier, your right on the math but what about health leading up to 60. Luckily nothing happened to you so the math worked out, others are not so lucky. Others have to be lucky too and I have seen some limp into 60.

Another point, that monthly check gives me the flexibility to quit my after retirement career whenever I want to.
Obviously there are several paths to a good retirement but I chose the 18 to 38 path, so now I can work on my next retirement check. It's less risky to finish your career at 38 or 40 something.

Okay let's talk about health. What guarantees you that you will make it to 60 as well? I have seen people in civilian occupations limp into their 60s too. My choice of career made no difference on my chances with the exception that I might have been called to war more often. However that is I why I didn't go infantry.

Your check is calculated at your rank at 38. My check is calculated at the rate soldiers of my rank 10 to 15 years after your retirement with all those pay increases added in.

No one is guaranteed tomorrow. We can only make the choices that make sense to us today in hopes for the future. While you are working on your second career my choice had both careers going simultaneously. We get to the same place via different paths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues