Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 01:34 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,107,669 times

Advertisements

I ask this because it seems a lot of the posters who post here are retired military people.

At times, the advice they give ( very good advice) seems to be under the assumption that every enlisted person is going to stay in at least 20 years.

It would be highly unlikely for an 18 year old to start employment with any company at age 18 and stay with them for 20 years.

I started at a company at age 17, from age 20-22 I was drafted and returned for a total of 19 years.

However, I will admit I was the exception where I work and certainly not the norm.

I guess what I am asking is-----what percent of new enlisted persons complete 20 years in the military?

Should they enter the military with full knowledge that after 4 years they may decide military is not a place they want to commit 16 more years to ?

Just " food for thought "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 01:48 PM

3,069 posts, read 8,864,488 times
Thae vast overwhelming majority spend only 4 years. I don't know the exact percentage, but it's a very small percentage that stay 20 years. The way the military is structured it's impossible for most people to stay for 20. The positions are a fewer and fewer the closer you get to the top and there's tenures for every rank where you'll be separated from the military. 6 years for e-3. 8 years for e4. 13 yrs for e-5. At least that's the Marines, not sure what it is in other branches

Old 05-08-2010, 11:32 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,468,713 times
As macjr82 said above, the vast majority of enlistees leave the military after their initial enlistment. Just like with any company, the military needs a lot more workers at the lower levels (pay grades) than they need at the top. So staying beyond your first enlistment depends on a number of things; what military job (specialty or rating) you have, what job vacancies your service has when it's time for you to reenlist (and it may be possible to retrain into another job to stay in the military) and a number of other factors.

As for staying on active duty to (and past) the 20-year mark, there are several factors. I'm only familiar with the Air Force so I'll have to rely on the other C-Ders to comment on their branches. To reach the 20 year mark in the USAF, you must have reached the rank of SSgt (E-5) or higher. Beyond 20 years you must attain higher rank depending on how many years you want to stay. I know the requirements of what's called "TOPCAP" recently changed, so I'll defer to my fellow Blue Suiters that are currently serving to fill in the current details. For example, you used to be able to stay in for 24 years if you were a Master Sergeant. (I don't believe that's still the case, though)

As for committing to a 20-year career when you're only a few years in isn't necessary. You reenlist at various points along the way to retirement eligibility. Depending on the needs of the service, you may be offered a bonus to leave (or stay, depending on your skills) And many military members transfer to the Guard/Reserves sometime during their career to keep serving but in a different way.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:53 AM

37,218 posts, read 60,933,271 times
In my field everyone's first enlistment was a 6-year contract. The majority of guys got out at the end of their first enlistment.

I did. I went to college and used up my GI Bill money.

I never gave a thought to staying in, until my fourth year of college. When I decided to go back into the Navy.

I agree that only a minority stay in beyond their first enlistment.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:43 PM

153 posts, read 406,823 times
High year tenure has just been rescinded recectly. HYT for MSgt in the AF from 2002-2010 was 26 but it's not back to 24, SMSgt is back to 26 from 28. As for the percentage, it's roughly in the 16-18% range that make it to 20 or beyond. I wouldn't be surprised it's an even smaller percentage w/ the current force shaping taking place. I will say this, it's going to be even harder for the newer generation to make it to 20. 20 yrs is a lot of wear and tear on the mind and body.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:46 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,594,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I ask this because it seems a lot of the posters who post here are retired military people.

At times, the advice they give ( very good advice) seems to be under the assumption that every enlisted person is going to stay in at least 20 years.

It would be highly unlikely for an 18 year old to start employment with any company at age 18 and stay with them for 20 years.

I started at a company at age 17, from age 20-22 I was drafted and returned for a total of 19 years.

However, I will admit I was the exception where I work and certainly not the norm.

I guess what I am asking is-----what percent of new enlisted persons complete 20 years in the military?

Should they enter the military with full knowledge that after 4 years they may decide military is not a place they want to commit 16 more years to ?

Just " food for thought "
If everyone stayed then no one would get promoted.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:28 AM

3,047 posts, read 2,815,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEKSRZ View Post
High year tenure has just been rescinded recectly. HYT for MSgt in the AF from 2002-2010 was 26 but it's not back to 24, SMSgt is back to 26 from 28. As for the percentage, it's roughly in the 16-18% range that make it to 20 or beyond. I wouldn't be surprised it's an even smaller percentage w/ the current force shaping taking place. I will say this, it's going to be even harder for the newer generation to make it to 20. 20 yrs is a lot of wear and tear on the mind and body.

Was told it is 2%.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:47 AM

26,678 posts, read 41,516,486 times
Do ya'll think this figure will rise with Social Security going away and the need for retirement money?

Old 05-17-2010, 07:38 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,107,669 times
No

SS is not going away and it seems the govt has plans already to " chip away" at the military retirement program.

Even if the economy stayed bad, a military life for 20 years is still not something the majority of enlisted people will do.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:23 AM

867 posts, read 2,964,609 times
I've heard that it's something like only 20% reenlist after their first enlistment and less than maybe 5% retire with at least 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues