U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-26-2010, 06:51 AM

1,865 posts, read 4,753,861 times
Poncho- Great Points! Many local colleges will hold classes on base to make it more convienient. Some colleges, like Park University, have classes on bases all over the US (and maybe even overseas, I'm not sure). This does make it easier, especially if you get transfered, because your incoming base will be able to help you work on your degree without switching schools.

My base has three or four colleges with classes on base, and they even have counselors on base to help you with degree plans, ect. I think most bases have these type of "Education centers"
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 08:48 AM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,096,989 times
Thank you all for the responses! I really couldn't ask for more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
You can get an associates degree and then work towards bachelor's degree.
So, a community college(s) is present in the Navy that provides the education necessary for an associates degree?

Considering that I've already earned many credits from my previous 3 years in a community college. Can those credits be transferred towards earning an associates degree while serving in the Navy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Generally you do not get a degree from the military except as already explained. I took a lot of classes from various colleges over that 12 year period. Many of the classes were not taken at the college, but on military posts where the colleges gave the classes (Fort Meade, MD, Augsburg and Munich Germany, Letterkenny Army Depot, PA etc).

You can get an associates degree and then work towards bachelor's degree.

My degree is from the University of Maryland. But I attended classes from a variety of schools.
Suppose I earn an associates degree from a community college that is present in the Navy while I serve.

Could it be possible for someone serving a 4-year service to earn a bachelor's degree within those four years or will my Navy career (which will certainly take precedence) make it less likely or more difficult to earn it within 4 years?

Old 05-26-2010, 08:52 AM

49,382 posts, read 45,922,973 times
whether the navy's money or your own debt its a bad deal us jr college to get a trade. my favorite pick RN, shortest route LVN 42 units then crossover program to RN 30 units. dodges a mountain of useless rerequisites. if you got a low GPA in jr college 4 year is kiss of death unless you take useless courses a B in jr college is a C in university world.. been following the news as to what happens to university grads when they try to look for a job?
if you got no skills and you sign up for navy you are not going to like it at all.
see link on plight of college grads.
glimmers-of-hope-for-grads: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/college-education/article/109639/glimmers-of-hope-for-grads - broken link)

Old 05-26-2010, 09:13 AM

1,865 posts, read 4,753,861 times
I'm not sure what you mean by "A college that is present in the Navy" THERE IS NO COLLEGE RAN BY THE NAVY, THERE IS NOT COLLEGE IN THE NAVY. The Navy can NOT grant degrees or college credit. The closest thing to this is that Webster University (or another college) might offer 10 classes on base, in a room that they essentially "rent" from the Navy. It's not affiliated or tied in with the Navy at all.

If you are in the Navy, you can register/apply at ANY college you want, and you can get a degree from that college.... not the Navy. The college you go to CAN award you credit for your Navy training, but they don't have to because the Navy is not a credit granting institution, and does not have acreditation.

THE ONLY branch that can award college credit or degrees is the Air Force. They have acreditation through the southern association of colleges, and they have the Community College of the Air Force. The Navy has no equivalent of this.

Working full time would make earning a degree more difficult. But not impossible. You can take college classes local to where you are stationed, or on base (most bases have classes that are offered by a College who utilizes classrooms on base).

Please don't think that the Navy itself is going to give you a degree or college credit.

You still have to find a college, fill out an application, register for classes, pay (through tuition assistance), buy your book, go to class, write your papers... you will go to a regular college if you want a degree.

As far as your question about transfering already earned college credits... you can transfer those to any college on Earth that will accept them. You being in the Navy has nothing whatsoever to do with transfering college credits. If you have college credits from ITT Tech and you are going to go to school at Harvard, they are not going to take those credits. If you are going from one accredited college to another accredited college, they will probably take those credits. You transfer them the same way the rest of the students in whatever college you are going to transfer those. You submit a request to your old college and ask them to send official transcripts to your new college (NOT THE NAVY) where they will be evaluated.

Credits can be transfered into the Community College of the Air Force for a degree in your "job" but that's the only college affiliated with the Armed Forces.... (for enlisted people anyway...)

Last edited by dmarie123; 05-26-2010 at 09:28 AM..

Old 05-26-2010, 09:22 AM

17,166 posts, read 17,913,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
if you got no skills and you sign up for navy you are not going to like it at all.
I disagree with that.

May I ask, have you served in the US Military?

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues