Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 12:17 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,024,872 times

Advertisements

MI people in the reserve components have been vetted and have security clearances that sometime take years to attain. This of course makes them very valuable to government agencies and contractors.

The MI battalion I spoke of had 300+- soldiers and many were senior level within the intelligence community. They of course were always looking for top notch people so networking was big.

The federal government’s job website has 168 intelligence jobs posted; have you reviewed them?

USAJOBS - Search Jobs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 02:14 PM

302 posts, read 1,099,233 times
Trust Me. I've looked through tons of jobs on USAjobs including anything intel. Most of them are at the gs-7 level and above. From what I've been told(people in the intel. community) the best I can hope for is gs-5 with superior academic performance(which I have). The problem being that the exiting service people nab them up, many who have a bachelors degree or higher. So in the general scope of things I end up "qualifying" for these jobs, but in reality don't.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:04 PM

17 posts, read 54,398 times
GS-5? Wow! That's a low paying job.
At our army depot we have a few non degree people making GS-11 pay.
Of course it makes us engineers wondering why we bothered to get a degree. Lol

Old 05-27-2010, 06:37 AM

Yup. Makes you wonder whats up with their hiring process. They might as well say must be a vet to apply and take out all of the frustration of applying. I asked a background investigator from OPM about my chances and she said great with my qualifications then i emailed their hiring dept. and they said they would always hire vets over people like me. Lol. Makes me wonder why i wasted 4 yrs on my degrees instead of getting a business degree.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:38 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,882,195 times
I'm with Balad on this one, maybe try to get a reserve job. This can get your foot in the door. Also it won't effect if you get into OCS. If you get selected for OCS it will supercede your reserve contract. If you can get to an intel unit, u can begin networking. Nepotism is more ridiculous than you would believe with most government jobs. I've seen whole positions created for people.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
Nepotism is more ridiculous than you would believe with most government jobs. I've seen whole positions created for people.
lol. I completly believe that. I know someone who worked in the VA and they said the same thing.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:44 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,592,494 times
Read these two books...

Blind man's bluff and Red November...

If you like what the guys in the books did then the Navy is for you...The CT rating might be the perfect match for you..The CT rating in the Navy are electronic spies who work part time for the Navy and part time for the NSA.

Also if you want to go officer then you can either go warrant or Limited Duty.

Last edited by bellhead; 05-28-2010 at 01:05 PM..

Old 05-28-2010, 12:58 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,637,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
If you get selected for OCS it will supercede your reserve contract. If you can get to an intel unit, u can begin networking. Nepotism is more ridiculous than you would believe with most government jobs. I've seen whole positions created for people.
Not so much positions created for people, as there has to be a slot, but position requirements written for certain people. But like I hinted before, you have to be at the table before you can play. The same is true to some extent in some of the military fields. But it is not always Nepotism, but knowledge of people you are familiar with vs an unknown person. There are some commands that can request personnel by name (650th MI Group for example). It isn't Nepotism, it isn't really the "Good Ole Boy" system, it is trying to really find a person to line up with a slot. That is something that Branch Assignments section does... Hint, Hint, Hint...

Rich

Old 05-28-2010, 02:42 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,882,195 times
I worked at Quantico at HQMC. I've seen paperwork submitted to create a GS position where there was none. Typically for Marines who were retiring so that they could do the exact same job they were doing but with GS-09-11 pay on top of their retirement. At the Fleet Readiness Center at Cherry Point in NC, though no positions are created, you'll get in real easy if you know somebody, and it's very very hard if you don't.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:16 PM

303 posts, read 1,559,598 times
It's not too hard to get in. You just need the proper qualifications and know how to answer the KSA questions, and even that's going away. Also, just because you know someone doesn't mean that you will get the job or make the job process any easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues