U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-28-2010, 03:24 PM

191 posts, read 472,284 times

Advertisements

First I have a general military question. When you are given an assignment say overseas or on a ship or sub, do you usually keep an apartment back home (assuming you are living alone) or do you usually keep all the things you can't bring with you in storage? I have 2 vehicles and a room full of stuff. I imagine if you are going away for at least 6 months you are not going to want to be paying rent but it would be nice to have somewhere to go when you get some time off.

And a couple Navy questions. What does it mean to "get to fleet?" Assignment to a ship?

And what does it mean to get your commission?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 04:54 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,933,264 times
When I was in no you would either rent an apartment off base out of your own pocket when you were assigned to a ship. IF you are assigned to say Rota Spain then you can have 1 vehicle shipped and you will live on base until you make a certain pay grade.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:32 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,880,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Mustang View Post
And what does it mean to get your commission?
Accurate for all services (not a real authority on the Navy here):

"Getting a commission" is the process of receiving an appointment from the President (with advice and consent of Senate) saying "yes, you can be an officer", taking an oath, and receiving a document that provides you the authority to *be* an officer. No commission = no officer authority = no command.

When someone "gets a commission", they are now a commissioned officer, capable of holding formal command over units. NCOs are the backbone of the military, take charge in officer's absence, and lead troops daily-and no O-1 in his right mind would *really* try to tell an E-9 what to do (because that E-9's O-5/O-6 would rock the O-1's world)-but NCOs can never truly command, and they are implementing officer-set policy.

Note that despite receiving a commission from the President-the oath is to the Constitution. Which rocks.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:24 AM

21,820 posts, read 28,390,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Mustang View Post
First I have a general military question. When you are given an assignment say overseas or on a ship or sub, do you usually keep an apartment back home (assuming you are living alone) or do you usually keep all the things you can't bring with you in storage? I have 2 vehicles and a room full of stuff. I imagine if you are going away for at least 6 months you are not going to want to be paying rent but it would be nice to have somewhere to go when you get some time off. ...
There is a wide variety of answers to this.

First lets look at single folk:
Each sub that I lived on had access to a BEQ [a dorm / barrack], single folk living in the BEQ moved their stuff into a storage room whenever they deployed to the sub. We normally spent an average 7 months each year living on the sub.

When I was on a surface [or target] vessel they had no BEQ; so if you lived on it then you only owned 2 seabags worth of stuff.

For married folk:
Navy bases routinely have enough housing available for the families of maybe 1/4 of their married personnel. When you are first stationed there your name goes on a waiting list, waiting for an available apartment for your family. We have never actually lived in 'base-housing'. We have spent as long as 4 years on a waiting list.

Many married couples will rent or buy a home to live in; and to store your stuff.

You can do this at your homeport so your family is present with you anytime that your vessel is in it's homeport; or you can have a home anywhere.

We always had a home at my homeport, so any day that I had 'off' I could go to my home and visit my family.

However I knew sailors whose wives and children lived in their hometown, and the sailor would travel home to visit once a year.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:35 AM

27,237 posts, read 26,936,731 times
Things must have changed.

I didn't have a lot of "stuff" when I was in, and anytime I was assigned to a ship, I lived ON the ship--even in home port. I didn't have a car or anything like that. People that did, and were single, looked to put their things in long term storage. (vehicles, for example). What "stuff" I had remained with my parents until I figured out there was nothing there I needed in the first place. I outgrew any civilian clothes I had anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues