Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 03:11 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,511,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Vietnam and Korea were never wars....they were Military Conflicts...and Korea is technically still under armistice......
As a U.S. Army Infantry Veteran of Vietnam, I can tell you that whether it's called a "war," or a "conflict," or a "police action," when the bullets are flying AT YOU, there isn't any difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 03:25 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,815,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradosaurus View Post
Doesn't congress have to declare war before we can commit troops.
That is definitely the way it is supposed to be. Got lost in the translation of the Constitution unfortunately. The most glaring example of this was the Gulf of Tonkin resolution Gulf of Tonkin Resolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia read it and weep....for the Constitution!

Old 06-02-2010, 04:42 PM

46,261 posts, read 27,050,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
As a U.S. Army Infantry Veteran of Vietnam, I can tell you that whether it's called a "war," or a "conflict," or a "police action," when the bullets are flying AT YOU, there isn't any difference.
I agree with you....however, this post is about Wars of the U.S., the U.S. NEVER declared war....on these 2...and many others....

All I was doing is making point...I am a war vet also...recently retired as of 1 AUG 2009 (21 years 24 days to be exact)....so please....I KNOW what your talking about.............

Old 06-02-2010, 07:46 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,694,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
Official wars of the US?
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
At the Coca Cola 600 yesterday they honored all the military that served in wartime.

They started with WWII, then Korea, then Vietnam, then 2001 thru present....don't know what that one is called. What is the official name of this one?

Are these the official wars and the only real wars?
Official wars or real wars? In the United States, only the U.S. Congress may declare war. Formal Declarations of war:
War of 1812
Mexican-American War
Spanish-American War
World War I
World War II

In other instances, the United States has engaged in extended military combat that were authorized by Congress, but short of a formal declaration of war:
Quasi-War
First Barbary War
Second Barbary War
enforcing 1808 slave trade ban; naval squadron sent to African waters to apprehend illegal slave traders
Redress for attack on U.S. Navy vessel
Intervention during the Russian Civil War
Lebanon crisis of 1958
Vietnam War
Multinational Force in Lebanon
Gulf War, also known as Operation Desert Storm
2001 war in Afghanistan, also known as Operation Enduring Freedom
Iraq War, also known as Operation Iraqi Freedom

In many instances, the United States has engaged in extended military engagements that were authorized by United Nations Security Council Resolutions.

Korean War
Multinational Force in Lebanon
Gulf War, also known as Operation Desert Storm
Bosnian War also known as UNPROFOR
2001 war in Afghanistan, also known as Operation Enduring Freedom
Second Liberian Civil War
Haiti, also known as MINUSTAH
On at least 125 occasions, the President has acted without prior express military authorization from Congress.[6] These include instances in which the United States fought in Korea in 1950, the Philippine-American War from 1898–1903, and in Nicaragua in 1927.

Reference with additional details: Declaration of war by the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-02-2010, 09:31 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,889,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
On at least 125 occasions, the President has acted without prior express military authorization from Congress.[6] These include instances in which the United States fought in Korea in 1950, the Philippine-American War from 1898–1903, and in Nicaragua in 1927.

Reference with additional details: Declaration of war by the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Alot of that is due to the factthe President can use the Marines without authorization. I noticed that when looking over this Wiki page. Timeline of United States military operations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Some of the major ones I already knew about like Nicaruagua and the "banana wars" that took place in Central America and the Carribean. Despite them not being official wars there were MOH won in the conflicts.
Banana Wars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Daniel Daly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smedley_Butler

Old 06-02-2010, 09:55 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,694,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
Some of the major ones I already knew about like Nicaruagua and the "banana wars" that took place in Central America and the Carribean. Despite them not being official wars there were MOH won in the conflicts.
I have been to all the countries mentioned in the "banana wars" page. But very young for some (Cuba was a popular tourist spot for Floridians in the 50's and earlier). History was one of my worse subjects while in grade/high school. I am constantly amazed at what I did not know.

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues