U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 11:43 AM

1,707 posts, read 6,228,040 times

Advertisements

Medicare and Tricare healthcare providers will soon be paid 21.3% less.

Yes, this also includes TRICARE.

Congress Misses Deadline for Medicare Payment Cut - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 07:34 PM

3,184 posts, read 9,227,803 times
We asked for change! And half the country was excited about this healthcare bill! Good luck retirees- should be one helluva time trying to find people to take tricare and treat you at a loss.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:14 PM

2,549 posts, read 4,284,938 times
nice. How convenient. That is going to make things next to impossible for me if the kids and I move to back to my home state.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:47 PM

The reduced payment schedule has been law for a while but congress has been continuing the funding for the higher payments to doctors; recently they failed to renew the extra funding. So this has nothing to do with the new healthcare law. I'm sure when that's in full effect they’ll take even more money out of the Medicare and Tricare pot.

Good luck trying to find doctors and other providers to accept our insurance in the future.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:02 AM

OK- my bad...maybe it's not in the healthcare reform bill... I just remebered a lot of hoopla about healthcare reform and tricare, but I just read a couple articles and now I remember what it was. Tricare doesn't meet the minimum standards, but a special bill was passed that it will be treated as if it meets the minimum standards so no changes will be made, andd will will not be forced to buy extra insurance. Of course, they could have just made tricare actually meet the standards, but I guess treating it as if it met the standards is 2nd best.

Maybe if enough retirees get denied doctors, they will make a fuss and congress will rethink this.

There are also many active duty and family members that have remote assignments or have to be seen off base due to small on base facilities. I hope they don't have problems. I am going to be stationed 4 hours from the nearest base soon, hopefully I can find a doctor willing to treat me for 22% off!

Old 06-02-2010, 10:25 AM

I read about healthcare costs rising and being out of control. But when Tricare pays for my healthcare I see on the advice notices that my doctor currently gets $12 when I visit and the last x-ray I got the hospital received $9. My wife had day surgery and the hospital billed over $3K and received $1200. I can understand why Tricare/Medicare will no longer be accepted by some doctors if they reduce payments even more.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:45 AM

Wow... a doc getting paid less than $10 to see me in his/her office... the can't even cover their malpractive insurance for 10 minutes with that!

Old 06-09-2010, 05:37 PM

1,829 posts, read 3,662,946 times
It wasn't until I was out of a military town and had to go to private doctors did I realize how many turn their nose up at Tricare.

One day on the phone with a local medical office, I asked if they accepted Tricare. When the receptionist got on the phone she informed me that they no longer accepted Medicaid. I told her I have Tricare, not Medicaid. She responded in a nasty tone that it is basically the same thing. Who knew?

Old 06-09-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterific View Post
It wasn't until I was out of a military town and had to go to private doctors did I realize how many turn their nose up at Tricare.

One day on the phone with a local medical office, I asked if they accepted Tricare. When the receptionist got on the phone she informed me that they no longer accepted Medicaid. I told her I have Tricare, not Medicaid. She responded in a nasty tone that it is basically the same thing. Who knew?
Can you imagine how it will be when the 21% reduction in payments goes into full swing?

Old 06-14-2010, 09:35 AM

1,829 posts, read 3,662,946 times
Whenever I look at the paper that breaks down the payments and costs, the amount actually paid to the doctor is so much lower than what was billed to Tricare. I'm going to be nervous everytime I go to the doctor...I may be turned away next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues