Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 02:12 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times

Advertisements

I found a magazine article online from the Milwaukee Magazine:Exaggerating Black Male Unemployment - Murphy's Law - Milwaukee Magazine.

According to this article, the African-American unemployment rate is believed to be lower than many would think. I haven't been to Milwaukee since 1992 so I don't know. All I have heard is that there is some kind of discrimination in the labor market and that the unemployment rate among African-Americans is around 43%. That is all I have heard. This magazine seems to dispute this. What do you think and/or know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 03:37 PM

33 posts, read 144,596 times
Well looking at the study reference in the article the percentage of 50-60% is showed by the magazine article to not be calculated using the officially recognized "unemployment" the author even responds by saying he used a different term -- "jobless" which takes into account different criteria.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concrete View Post
Well looking at the study reference in the article the percentage of 50-60% is showed by the magazine article to not be calculated using the officially recognized "unemployment" the author even responds by saying he used a different term -- "jobless" which takes into account different criteria.
This is all quite confusing. I think about this because when I read an article from the Journal-Sentinel, it told of high unemployment rates among African-Americans in Milwaukee, among the highest in the nation. I have also heard of something called "Black Brain Drain" from Milwaukee. I thought "as a person who is seeking a college degree, if I get this degree, would I still have a hard time getting a job?". I am aware of the effects of factory jobs leaving Milwaukee.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:47 PM

448 posts, read 1,820,140 times
I think the study is confusing because from straight unemployment figures you can start to make some some assumptions on the causes of that unemployment. Those causes could be discrimination or they could be education or lack of resources for African American job seekers. But the study also takes into account people "not in the labor force" as a subset of "jobless" individuals without defining what that means and how it applies to that subset. How big of a percentage is that subset? Where do they fit into his conclusions as opposed to those who are unemployed?

Levine appears to try make a comprehensive analysis of people in this jobless group for the entire metro area. I don't think the statistical sources he uses are good sources for what he is trying to determine. Although it would be a lot of work he probably should do random sampling to get a better idea of more accurate percentages of jobless vs unemployed. If his assertions are correct a more rigorous method of statistical analysis would reveal that fact. On the other hand it does seem that he is just pulling statistics from various sources to validate a preformed conclusion which is not good scientific rigor.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:18 PM

Here are some basic statistical information that I dig up over the last few minutes.

Just a quick calculation based on the figures from this page:

ftp://ftp.bls.gov/pub/special.requests/lf/aat3.txt (broken link)

For the entire country, men aged 16 & over and for 2009.

35% of men are jobless
5% black men are jobless
28% white men are jobless

In Milwaukee County, blacks are 25% of the population. For metro Milwaukee the number is much lower and I couldn't find a statistic for that percentage.

For a quick graphic showing the factors that affect joblessness, check this out.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear_Art View Post
Here are some basic statistical information that I dig up over the last few minutes.

Just a quick calculation based on the figures from this page:

ftp://ftp.bls.gov/pub/special.requests/lf/aat3.txt (broken link)

For the entire country, men aged 16 & over and for 2009.

35% of men are jobless
5% black men are jobless
28% white men are jobless

In Milwaukee County, blacks are 25% of the population. For metro Milwaukee the number is much lower and I couldn't find a statistic for that percentage.

For a quick graphic showing the factors that affect joblessness, check this out.
I took a look at it. It was broken down by age group. I think some of the numbers are a bit off.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I took a look at it. It was broken down by age group. I think some of the numbers are a bit off.
Some of the numbers from the BLS? I doubt it. That's probably as accurate as anyone is going to get.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear_Art View Post
Some of the numbers from the BLS? I doubt it. That's probably as accurate as anyone is going to get.
I was talking about the calculations.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:59 AM

I did take the figures for 16 & over which includes over 65. It was just a quick calc and is not a complete correlation to Levine's study but is within the standard deviation. 65 & older are a small percentage and don't really affect the numbers much so to include them doesn't skew the figures a lot. But regardless, I compared the same figures across the board.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:15 PM

42 posts, read 101,106 times
i ant speak for blacks,. but i will say i personally know lots of whites who lost jobs in this recession
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
View detailed profiles of: