Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 02:49 PM

425 posts, read 1,954,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyGavin View Post
Maybe Arizona should boycott Wisconsin products because the city of Milwaukee continues to flush raw sewage out into Lake Michigan, every time it rains.

I did like the response that Phoenix had to Los Angeles' "boycott", in saying they should stop supplying their power.
Too bad Los Angeles Department of Water and Power are partial owners of the power plants they draw power from. (Not saying I support the boycott, however, just that it's not all "Arizona's" power.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 06:59 PM

146 posts, read 343,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladoll View Post
Too bad Los Angeles Department of Water and Power are partial owners of the power plants they draw power from. (Not saying I support the boycott, however, just that it's not all "Arizona's" power.)

Partial? As in "minority" partner? Somehow I don't think it's an issue. Whatever the case, you missed the point. It's stupid legislation, and these boycotts, were they to actually do anything, would only hurt working class Americans.

Sure, let's kick the 2011 All Star game out of Phoenix, that way all of the hotels, cabbies, restaurant owners, beer vendors, etc... get screwed. That'll learn 'em.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Partial? As in "minority" partner? Somehow I don't think it's an issue. Whatever the case, you missed the point. It's stupid legislation, and these boycotts, were they to actually do anything, would only hurt working class Americans.

Sure, let's kick the 2011 All Star game out of Phoenix, that way all of the hotels, cabbies, restaurant owners, beer vendors, etc... get screwed. That'll learn 'em.
Regardless of how much they own of the power plants, THEY OWN PART OF IT. Also, did you miss the part where I said I didn't support the boycotts? I was just stating a fact. Arizona would be in some hot water if they tried to cut Los Angeles' power because, as I stated, LADWP is a partial owner of those power plants.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Regardless of how much they own of the power plants, THEY OWN PART OF IT. Also, did you miss the part where I said I didn't support the boycotts? I was just stating a fact. Arizona would be in some hot water if they tried to cut Los Angeles' power because, as I stated, LADWP is a partial owner of those power plants.
No, I did not miss what you said; as you could see from my reply, I included that portion of your post with the quote I used.
The point I was making about the minority stake, is that if there is an economic impact from a boycott by Los Angeles, maybe the citizens of Arizona or Phoenix would buy out LA's ownership.
Maybe Arizona could just up and decide to take a little bit of hot water. After all, if the actions taken by communities impact life in Arizona, turnabout is fair play, in my opinion.

Who knows; unless you are contacting your elected officials and voicing your opposition to any boycott, you are condoning the action. I'm sure my county supervisor has my number on block by now.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
No, I did not miss what you said; as you could see from my reply, I included that portion of your post with the quote I used.
The point I was making about the minority stake, is that if there is an economic impact from a boycott by Los Angeles, maybe the citizens of Arizona or Phoenix would buy out LA's ownership.
Maybe Arizona could just up and decide to take a little bit of hot water. After all, if the actions taken by communities impact life in Arizona, turnabout is fair play, in my opinion.

Who knows; unless you are contacting your elected officials and voicing your opposition to any boycott, you are condoning the action. I'm sure my county supervisor has my number on block by now.
If you bothered to look into Los Angeles' boycott of Arizona, you would note that it has to do with future business and contracts, not business and contracts that are already in place. Those two power plants generate revenue for LADWP. And the last time I checked, an owner has to be willing to sell and it doesn't look like LADWP wants to. So Arizona is stuck with us and have no legal ability to back up the hot air they were blowing in our direction.

Though, like I said, I don't agree with Los Angeles' boycott, either. Not because I support SB1070, but because I think the boycott could be dangerous for Los Angeles, legally-speaking. I also think it sets up dangerous precedents overall.

Also, you can not support something and not be calling everyone about it. I have more important things to contact my councilperson about. And honestly, I can voice my discontent next election. It's not up to you to decide if someone agrees with something or not; you are in no position to do such thing. Nor are you in a position to determine HOW or IF they express their discontent.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Also, you can not support something and not be calling everyone about it. I have more important things to contact my councilperson about.

Well, from your reply and the fact you have now engaged in several posts on a forum about this issue, it sounds as if it is a somewhat significant issue. Maybe I'm wrong, but you specifically sought out my post on the matter, not the other way around.

Personally speaking, having my elected officials waste time and effort on this type of useless legislation is enough to warrant my attention. It seems as if California in general, (my opinion for Milwaukee, as well) should focus on other issues. But hey, that's just me.

Quote:
And honestly, I can voice my discontent next election.
Sure you can, but why wait until then to make your voice heard? If no one speaks out, the officials we vote in have no clue as to what we are thinking, or what we are concerned with.
That's part of the responsibility of being a tax paying citizen, unless you don't care how your money is spent.

Quote:
It's not up to you to decide if someone agrees with something or not; you are in no position to do such thing. Nor are you in a position to determine HOW or IF they express their discontent.
Well, it sounds an awful lot like you're make excuses. In the amount of time it took you to respond to me, you could have easily sent an e-mail to an elected official.
Do as you wish, but it's very easy to just talk and sound great. It takes a little bit of effort to take action.

And yes, I can freely tell you that if you are not happy with an issue, that you need to contact your elected officials about it. They need to hear from us.

I also passed no judgment on your position, I stated the following:

Quote:
unless you are contacting your elected officials and voicing your opposition to any boycott, you are condoning the action.
If you do not take some form of action with your elected officials, you are in essence condoning the action. You're taking the time and effort to discuss it on a meaningless forum, so it must mean something. Otherwise, why take up the topic in a place that solves nothing?

Old 07-02-2010, 07:29 PM

507 posts, read 878,558 times
Same person who elects every US politico running for state-wide or Federal office,
those who paid for her TV ads.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Well, from your reply and the fact you have now engaged in several posts on a forum about this issue, it sounds as if it is a somewhat significant issue. Maybe I'm wrong, but you specifically sought out my post on the matter, not the other way around.
Welcome to it being a free country, pal. If I don't want to write a letter or call someone about something I don't have to. If I want to, I can. That's the beauty of this country being "free." If you don't like Mayor Villaraigosa's decision to boycott Arizona, you can write him all you want. I don't have to. And guess what? I can still not support it AND debate it with someone on a "meaningless forum."

I also said nothing about who sought out who, so I don't know why you even bring that up. I know I replied to you. I replied to you because you were laughing about a politician in Arizona threatening to cut off Los Angeles' power and I merely pointed out to you that Arizona couldn't do that.

Quote:
Personally speaking, having my elected officials waste time and effort on this type of useless legislation is enough to warrant my attention. It seems as if California in general, (my opinion for Milwaukee, as well) should focus on other issues. But hey, that's just me.
Los Angeles =/= California. California is a diverse state made up of numerous different cities, people, and political opinions. Los Angeles is not a complete, total, and accurate representation of the entire state of California. Although, yes, the state is now moving to boycott Arizona.

Quote:
Sure you can, but why wait until then to make your voice heard? If no one speaks out, the officials we vote in have no clue as to what we are thinking, or what we are concerned with.
That's part of the responsibility of being a tax paying citizen, unless you don't care how your money is spent.
Perhaps I am writing them about other, more important issues? Have you ever considered that? Perhaps I feel there are other, more important issues to let my blood boil over rather than a boycott I happen to think it stupid.

I also have more important things to do and worry about rather than writing politicians and telling them how I feel about a stupid boycott. So they wasted their time on it. You know what? They have wasted their time on a lot of other things. LAPD spends a s.hitton of money to keep their helicopters in the air day and night and shine their searchlights around, maybe that ticks me off more. Maybe the parking issue on the street I live on is of more concern. Maybe I'm mad about Prop 14. Maybe I'm more worried about them passing a budget. And I know, and you should know, they do more than one thing at a time.

Quote:
Well, it sounds an awful lot like you're make excuses. In the amount of time it took you to respond to me, you could have easily sent an e-mail to an elected official.
Do as you wish, but it's very easy to just talk and sound great. It takes a little bit of effort to take action.

LMAO That's hilarious. Do you honestly think I am sitting at City Data waiting for you to reply to me? No. I do other things with my time, too, and frankly, what I do (or don't do) is none of your business.

Quote:
And yes, I can freely tell you that if you are not happy with an issue, that you need to contact your elected officials about it. They need to hear from us.
And I can freely tell you that I don't have to - and STILL not support something. Like I said above, I could be contacting them about things I find to be far more important issues to the city and county of Los Angeles and the state of California that are far more worthy of my time than the boycott.

Quote:
I also passed no judgment on your position, I stated the following:

If you do not take some form of action with your elected officials, you are in essence condoning the action. You're taking the time and effort to discuss it on a meaningless forum, so it must mean something. Otherwise, why take up the topic in a place that solves nothing?
Who said anything about judgment?

That said, you can sure believe I support the boycott all you want, but that doesn't mean what you say is fact. I don't support the boycott. I also don't find it worthy of my time to write a letter/email to any political official in the city of Los Angeles over. And yes, I still feel like responding to you on a "meaningless internet forum."

Also, nice derailment.

Last edited by ladoll; 07-02-2010 at 08:47 PM..

Old 07-02-2010, 08:47 PM

59 posts, read 190,469 times
Hey, has anyone seen SOLAS???

Why don't we just adopt Mexico's immigration policies and be done with it. This administration is so concerned about world opinion, lets take a look at what it takes to become a citizen in other countries. I'll bet our laws and requirements won't look or seem nearly so 'oppressive' anymore.

Can the system be steamlined?? Sure, but let's not abandon the one we have now because a bunch of lawbreakers don't like it.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Welcome to it being a free country, pal. If I don't want to write a letter or call someone about something I don't have to. If I want to, I can. That's the beauty of this country being "free." If you don't like Mayor Villaraigosa's decision to boycott Arizona, you can write him all you want. I don't have to. And guess what? I can still not support it AND debate it with someone on a "meaningless forum."
Pal? Ok, whatever. Since we’re evidently going to get a bit “snippy” now, I guess I can “thank” you for the civic lessons. Apparently I didn’t “realize” this was a “free” country. And no, I will not be sending any letters or e-mails to the mayor of Los Angeles; I couldn’t care less about him. I can’t vote for that office, nor would his office listen to me. In case you missed the topic of this thread, it was started about a Milwaukee County supervisor who did not realize that Arizona shares a common border with Mexico. She demonstrated this lack of knowledge while discussing a boycott by the county of Milwaukee.

Quote:
I also said nothing about who sought out who, so I don't know why you even bring that up. I know I replied to you. I replied to you because you were laughing about a politician in Arizona threatening to cut off Los Angeles' power and I merely pointed out to you that Arizona couldn't do that.
It was you that replied to my post, in which I was making a joke about some events in the news.
I found it humorous that Arizona’s reply to a threat of a boycott was to make such a statement that could affect the very people enacting the boycott, which would start it all. This was also in a Milwaukee thread, not a Los Angeles or California thread; you must have been searching for something.

I got a chuckle or two out of the reply to LA’s threat, no more no less. I don’t really care if they (AZ) could or could not cut off the power to LA. It isn’t really that important. The important aspect of it is that any real boycott will only hurt working class people in another state .

Quote:
Los Angeles =/= California.
Not real sure what this is supposed to mean, but I assume it means that Los Angeles does not equal California? Well, guess what; I passed geography in both high school and college. I know that California is a state and that LA is a city in southern California.

Quote:
California is a diverse state made up of numerous different cities, people, and political opinions. Los Angeles is not a complete, total, and accurate representation of the entire state of California.
See my reply above. Feel free to save the civics and geography lessons for someone who needs them; Supervisor West comes to mind. Maybe you could help her out?

Quote:
And I know, and you should know, they do more than one thing at a time.

Gee, really? However, I am just holding them to the same standard I am held to as a municipal employee. While on the clock, they should not be wasting time or money.

Quote:
LMAO That's hilarious. Do you honestly think I am sitting at City Data waiting for you to reply to me? No. I do other things with my time, too, and frankly, what I do (or don't do) is none of your business.
Don’t pat yourself on the back too much. Rotator cuff injuries can be tough to work thru. Never mind the fact you missed what I was trying to point out. In an earlier post you stated you didn’t want to waste anytime talking with your elected officials on the matter. I was merely pointing out that in the few seconds or minutes it took for you to compose a reply to me, that it could have been sent to your mayor’s office or common council. I really don’t care if you reply to me at all. The Brewers laid another egg tonight and I have little else going on for the moment. So, in the meantime, I’m replying to a few posts here. And, no where did I express any interest in what you do or don’t do. Please, don’t flatter yourself, too much.

Quote:
Also, nice derailment.
What derailment is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee