Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 12:40 PM

68 posts, read 178,958 times

Advertisements

Alright so we all know that segregation is a huge problem and not a lot has been done to effectively stop it so why don’t we all think of a way to fix it. Then who knows if we think of something that we think will work will send it to politicians or whoever and get it started. I’m going to use Waukesha as an example because that’s where I grew up and I know the most about it. I was driving down the road one day and I just couldn’t help but think about WHY whites live with whites Hispanic with Hispanic and black with black etc. I drove past a subdivision in Waukesha that has over 500 homes in it continuously being developed by Belinski Builders, and it’s almost all white people. What if all we had to do was make a rule that a certain amount of homes in this huge development had to be asian, black, Hispanic and so on. Then the entire subdivision would be integrated. And for every home that goes up for sale in the city a certain amount have to be bought by other races then white and of course a certain amount had to be white. Now I know this isn’t simple but what do you guys think? Could it be done somehow? If not what are your ideas? Another thing, There is a lot of dumpy areas of Waukesha that recently have been given a facelift like strip malls and things like that. And they look SO MUCH NICER. Why can’t we just do this every where?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 02:03 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,072 times
I guess I'll try to tackle this one. What you're referring to is akin to affirmative action. It takes away the value of awarding things on merit. It's a little different since you're talking about housing, which isn't really something that is awarded like being admitted to a university, but the same principal applies. If you don't have the right grades, you can't get in. If you can't afford it, you can't buy it. If a black or Hispanic person can't afford the houses in that subdivision, they shouldn't live there. If a black or Hispanic can afford it, by all means, they should go for it if they like the area and the house in question. I think once you get into saying a certain percentage of housing has to be white, black, Hispanic, Asian, etc., that opens the door for judging everything by race. People should attain goals in life by working for them, not because someone says they should have it. It's like how they're trying to take away the honor of being a valedictorian in high school...if everyone is a valedictorian, what's the point of studying hard? As they say, when everyone's a winner, nobody is.

In my opinion, affirmative action just encourages racism. Proponents say it's "positive racism" but any time we judge something based on race, that's racism, whether it's "good racism" or "bad racism." Sounds kinda ridiculous when I put it that way, huh?

If someone is comfortable living in an area where they are surrounded mostly by their own race, I say let 'em be. Not everybody feels they should live in a society that is completely integrated, despite efforts to end segregation. For example, I don't think it's right to say blacks in one school and whites in another, but if that's the way the cookie crumbles....

Lastly, people tend to gravitate toward others who are similar to them. I'm white and my culture is totally different than that of a black, Hispanic or Asian person. I honestly wouldn't gravitate toward living in a place full of any of those races/cultures for that reason alone. I would be totally out of place. Now, if I was white but raised going to a black school, for example, maybe that would be a different story. There will be exceptions to the rule in every situation.

I'm not saying segregation is necessarily a good thing that should continue till the end of time, just that there might be a reason for why it continues today.

Old 07-04-2010, 02:12 PM

68 posts, read 178,958 times
good point. I knew there was a huge flaw with my plan because it was so simple I just needed someone else to point it out. And right after I made this post I thought to myself "whats wrong with it?" in high school there are always "clicks" and if you ask a high school student they don't care because everyone is just hanging out with people just like themselves. a jock doesn't care that a art person doesn't hang out with them because they're nothing alike so why would we force it? I always somehow contradict myself. I guess what i'm trying to get at is stop racism and ghettos where there is extreme poverty, and how to get people more educated. spread out the people in ghettos so its not so present. and for racism, i grew up in the "white" area of waukesha where most people tend to have more racist beleifs toward people, which is a lot of peoples mindset living it that area. but i learned from going to a mostly hispanic school is theres no reason to base any kind of judgment off race and if all races lived together there wouldn't be racism because people would realize this. Then in proffessional type jobs and places of work that pay high salaries more black and hispanic people would be able to have these jobs. I guess I chose housing people together was my basic solution to this problem i'm trying to solve

Old 07-05-2010, 10:25 AM

117 posts, read 367,611 times
I think it's good that you are concerned about this issue. Personally I feel like change has to start within the ghettoes. We need to give more positive role models and positive messages to young people growing up in poor neighborhoods so that they will make good choices for themselves. Since you seem to have a lot of interest and concern in this issue, have you ever considered volunteering with an organization like Big Brothers Big Sisters? Then you could have a direct impact on trying to improve the situation of a young person who may not have had the chance to interact with a positive role model before. If you're interested, there is a lot of info on that at their website: Big Brothers Big Sisters | Home

Old 07-05-2010, 04:07 PM

709 posts, read 656,397 times
So, what you're saying is, we should spread the *****bags from the ghettos out into different areas of town, thereby making the ghetto a little nicer and every other part of town a little more trashy?

It was touched on in the first reply, but a big part of the reason for the segregation here (and everywhere) is because people naturally congregate with others just like them.

The biggest problem facing cities like Milwaukee is culture. Until current black culture changes and begins to positively reinforce education, stability, and being a productive member of society things will never change. The "thug" culture, while not exclusively black, kills any chance of success for ANYONE who behaves in that fashion, and that unfortunately includes a high number of blacks in Milwaukee.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:48 PM

180 posts, read 662,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I guess I'll try to tackle this one. What you're referring to is akin to affirmative action. It takes away the value of awarding things on merit. It's a little different since you're talking about housing, which isn't really something that is awarded like being admitted to a university, but the same principal applies. If you don't have the right grades, you can't get in. If you can't afford it, you can't buy it. If a black or Hispanic person can't afford the houses in that subdivision, they shouldn't live there. If a black or Hispanic can afford it, by all means, they should go for it if they like the area and the house in question. I think once you get into saying a certain percentage of housing has to be white, black, Hispanic, Asian, etc., that opens the door for judging everything by race. People should attain goals in life by working for them, not because someone says they should have it. It's like how they're trying to take away the honor of being a valedictorian in high school...if everyone is a valedictorian, what's the point of studying hard? As they say, when everyone's a winner, nobody is.

In my opinion, affirmative action just encourages racism. Proponents say it's "positive racism" but any time we judge something based on race, that's racism, whether it's "good racism" or "bad racism." Sounds kinda ridiculous when I put it that way, huh?

If someone is comfortable living in an area where they are surrounded mostly by their own race, I say let 'em be. Not everybody feels they should live in a society that is completely integrated, despite efforts to end segregation. For example, I don't think it's right to say blacks in one school and whites in another, but if that's the way the cookie crumbles....

Lastly, people tend to gravitate toward others who are similar to them. I'm white and my culture is totally different than that of a black, Hispanic or Asian person. I honestly wouldn't gravitate toward living in a place full of any of those races/cultures for that reason alone. I would be totally out of place. Now, if I was white but raised going to a black school, for example, maybe that would be a different story. There will be exceptions to the rule in every situation.

I'm not saying segregation is necessarily a good thing that should continue till the end of time, just that there might be a reason for why it continues today.
I agree with general sentiment of jobs (and other things) being awarded on merit. But I find that a lot of the people who crow about how "unfair" Affirmative Action is see nothing wrong with legacies, fraternities and private clubs which are firmly entrenched in the idea of non-merit based privileges and freezes out a lot more people than Affirmative Action does.

I'm not saying this necessarily you, but if we're going to go after one form of unmerited privilege (if we're taking for granted that AA is one) we have to go after them all.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rso092 View Post
So, what you're saying is, we should spread the *****bags from the ghettos out into different areas of town, thereby making the ghetto a little nicer and every other part of town a little more trashy?

It was touched on in the first reply, but a big part of the reason for the segregation here (and everywhere) is because people naturally congregate with others just like them.

The biggest problem facing cities like Milwaukee is culture. Until current black culture changes and begins to positively reinforce education, stability, and being a productive member of society things will never change. The "thug" culture, while not exclusively black, kills any chance of success for ANYONE who behaves in that fashion, and that unfortunately includes a high number of blacks in Milwaukee.
Yea... I'd appreciate it if you'd get an idea of "black culture" that didn't come from BET or Fox 6... thanks!

Old 07-05-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWMEastsider View Post
Alright so we all know that segregation is a huge problem and not a lot has been done to effectively stop it so why don’t we all think of a way to fix it. Then who knows if we think of something that we think will work will send it to politicians or whoever and get it started. I’m going to use Waukesha as an example because that’s where I grew up and I know the most about it. I was driving down the road one day and I just couldn’t help but think about WHY whites live with whites Hispanic with Hispanic and black with black etc. I drove past a subdivision in Waukesha that has over 500 homes in it continuously being developed by Belinski Builders, and it’s almost all white people. What if all we had to do was make a rule that a certain amount of homes in this huge development had to be asian, black, Hispanic and so on. Then the entire subdivision would be integrated. And for every home that goes up for sale in the city a certain amount have to be bought by other races then white and of course a certain amount had to be white. Now I know this isn’t simple but what do you guys think? Could it be done somehow? If not what are your ideas? Another thing, There is a lot of dumpy areas of Waukesha that recently have been given a facelift like strip malls and things like that. And they look SO MUCH NICER. Why can’t we just do this every where?
Even I could take for granted that this is a sincere effort to reach out an not a transparent attempt to wash the eggs off your face from the last thread, you clearly don't understand the dynamics at play when it comes to race and segregation. I'm not trying to sound like a dick, but you have acknowledged that you've led a sheltered life.

There's a class at UWM in the Africology dept. called Black Reality that's taught by a number of professors and counts towards your multicultural requirement. It's also a pretty good place to start if you truly are interested in working against segregation.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:16 PM

709 posts, read 656,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solas View Post
Yea... I'd appreciate it if you'd get an idea of "black culture" that didn't come from BET or Fox 6... thanks!
I guess working in the hood for the last 8 years doesn't count, then, does it?

ETA: What, pray tell, was I wrong about in my assessment of current black culture? I'd like to know what YOU think mainstream black culture is...because it certainly is not positive reinforcement for excelling in academics and contributing to society. I deal with the lesser elements of society every single day in my job, and I can tell you that good parents and good households are VERY hard to come by in the inner city. That is not the fault of whites, or slavery, or any other lame ass excuse. The blame for that falls squarely on the shoulders of those who continue to promote ignorance and acting like an animal in general.

As much as I want to comment on your smart ass reply I quoted here, I'll bite my tongue. Wouldn't want to get banned

Last edited by rso092; 07-05-2010 at 07:24 PM..

Old 07-05-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
I guess working in the hood for the last 8 years doesn't count, then, does it?

ETA: What, pray tell, was I wrong about in my assessment of current black culture? I'd like to know what YOU think mainstream black culture is...because it certainly is not positive reinforcement for excelling in academics and contributing to society.
That's your first problem... expecting positive values to come from mainstream ANYTHING.

True black culture comes from Africa which entails plenty of positive values such ambition, community, rejecting excess and a DIY ethic (amongst others). They tend to be echoed in African proverbs such as "It takes a village to raise a child." (what, you thought Hillary Clinton came up with that) and "The fear of death will kill you."

But what do I really know about African culture... I only went $25,000 into debt studying it.

Quote:
I deal with the lesser elements of society every single day in my job, and I can tell you that good parents and good households are VERY hard to come by in the inner city. That is not the fault of whites, or slavery, or any other lame ass excuse.
Then tell me, why do you think Black Americans are disconnected from their ancestral values in ways you don't see from Americans of European, Latin or Asian decent?

Quote:
The blame for that falls squarely on the shoulders of those who continue to promote ignorance and acting like an animal in general.
I agree... so what exactly are you doing to hold the suit wearing white guys who run Viacom and ClearChannel responsible for peddling destructive images to black youth and telling them that's what their culture is.

Quote:
As much as I want to comment on your smart ass reply I quoted here, I'll bite my tongue. Wouldn't want to get banned
And yet you still managed to shove a lot of thinly veiled prejudice into your reply (comparing black people to animals... very classy btw ). Good for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee