Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 02:19 PM

196 posts, read 473,944 times

Advertisements

I am looking for some diversity and Brown Deer is said to be the only suburb that boasts diversity so my question is where is all the action at in Brown Deer? Where are the heavily populated shopping, restaurant, and business areas at in Brown Deer? Where do young adults go to hang out? I'm not really familiar with that area as I live the southern suburbs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 07:38 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanHistory09 View Post
I am looking for some diversity and Brown Deer is said to be the only suburb that boasts diversity
West Allis is diverse, there are rich people, poor people, middle American people, people with blue eyes, people with green eyes, people with long hair people with short hair, there are people who like rock music and people who like jazz music, people with glasses and people with contacts, there are all kinds of people in West Allis.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
West Allis is diverse, there are rich people, poor people, middle American people, people with blue eyes, people with green eyes, people with long hair people with short hair, there are people who like rock music and people who like jazz music, people with glasses and people with contacts, there are all kinds of people in West Allis.
Haha! You got me there, you silly goose you! :P

Old 07-16-2010, 05:55 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,313,477 times
Brown Deer isn't the only diverse suburb, but it probably is the most racially diverse suburb.

Main shopping areas: the strip malls along BDR, especially the center with Kohls, Pick-n-Save, etc. Also, the "old town" where Larry's Market is located.

The "action"? Mostly in people's homes, senior centers, the schools, the park, etc. Perhaps Applebee's near BDR, or the bowling alley on Bradley Rd. But I'm sure most people just go to Milwaukee or other places for nightlife and recreation.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:48 AM

I am a big fan of living in a diverse area but how is just two different groups diverse? black and white. it's like that everywhere now. You want diversity move to the near south side.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:19 PM

In the case of Brown Deer, I think the qualifier "diverse for a suburb" is important. Given the racial demographics of Milwaukee's 'burbs, yes, Brown Deer is very diverse--but given the city of Milwaukee as a benchmark, no, it's not so diverse.

Even though Brookfield's residential stats are not very diverse, the commercial landscape is, kind of: quite a few ethnic restaurants and markets for a mostly caucasian suburb. Same goes for Wauwatosa and West Allis, in fact.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I am a big fan of living in a diverse area but how is just two different groups diverse? black and white. it's like that everywhere now. You want diversity move to the near south side.
Adding on to what quijote said, I think it's also important as well because this area doesn't have much of a black middle-class and because of that, a low opinion of blacks easily develops because of issues and circumstances surrounding poor lifestyles. The whole reason I brought up Brown Deer was to find some middle-class gay black men around my age because the chances of me finding mr. right out of, say, the North Division neighborhood are little to none. Right now, lower middle-class over in Brown Deer is pretty much the best that's offered for the most part so I asked about it.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Adding on to what quijote said, I think it's also important as well because this area doesn't have much of a black middle-class and because of that, a low opinion of blacks easily develops because of issues and circumstances surrounding poor lifestyles. The whole reason I brought up Brown Deer was to find some middle-class gay black men around my age because the chances of me finding mr. right out of, say, the North Division neighborhood are little to none. Right now, lower middle-class over in Brown Deer is pretty much the best that's offered for the most part so I asked about it.
You would have better luck on Milw.St or at Taylors or somewhere in the Third Ward or why not the pride fest, that would be like shooting fish in a...well you know.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:05 PM

On the "organizations" page of the Milwaukee LGBT webpage, there's contact info for a group called something like "Black and White Together." You might be able to find some nice young black gays that way. There might be other groups of interest, perhaps even a group for gay blacks; look at that page and give the community center a call for more info.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:48 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,073,472 times
Quote:
If you want a diverse suburb with good nightlife, then Racine is your best bet.

However, if your goal is trying to meet other young, middle-class Black men, then the usual suspects of the East Side, Riverwest, Brewer's Hill, Downtown, the Third Ward, Walker's Point, and Bay View would all be better choices. East Tosa might be another option, I believe that's where people who live in Sherman Park go out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee