Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2010, 03:22 PM

196 posts, read 470,380 times

Advertisements

So far I've visited 3 gay friendly churches; one near UWM; one east of Mayfair on Wauwatosa Ave.; and another in Brown Deer, and all of them were filled with elderly people so I'm wondering if anyone knows of any good gay-oriented churches with people my age???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 08:34 PM

8,275 posts, read 22,982,654 times
The Unitarian church on North Ave in Brookfield.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
The Unitarian church on North Ave in Brookfield.
Thank you much!

Old 07-16-2010, 06:50 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,279,915 times
Here's a list of gay-friendly churches from the Milwaukee LGBT Community Center:

Milwaukee LGBT Community Center

Not all of these have significant numbers of gay worshipers, though.

The Unitarian Churches in general have lots of gay worshipers; in addition to Brookfield, there are congregations on the East Side, Mequon, and other places.

Metropolitan Community Church supposedly draws a lot of gays, as does (supposedly) Plymouth on Hampshire. Lake Park Lutheran and St. James also supposedly draw lots of gays.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quijote View Post
Here's a list of gay-friendly churches from the Milwaukee LGBT Community Center:

Milwaukee LGBT Community Center

Not all of these have significant numbers of gay worshipers, though.

The Unitarian Churches in general have lots of gay worshipers; in addition to Brookfield, there are congregations on the East Side, Mequon, and other places.

Metropolitan Community Church supposedly draws a lot of gays, as does (supposedly) Plymouth on Hampshire. Lake Park Lutheran and St. James also supposedly draw lots of gays.
Wow! Quijote, thanks for that link. I actually think I've already come past that list of churches not from that website but from somewhere else over the web which is how I ended up visiting Plymouth church (which is right around the corner from UWM) a while back. Btw, I personally wouldn't recommend that church... well at least, for any young adults or any singles for that matter. Even though I only visited once, I saw a lot of elderly people and families there; like people in their 30s with little ones who already seemed as though they had their lives started romantically and family-wise and whatnot. Quite an embarassing experience actually as I ended up walking in through one of the wrong doors that overlooked the entire congregation from the FRONT of the church (lol); I was like the only black person in the place (lmfao) -- Nonethless, that link has some great info I think I could benefit from so thanks a lot.

I look forward to visiting some of these other places that "supposedly" of course attract gay people (lol); also, thanks for the tip on unitarian churches. Great help! Looking for a guy with morals and a good head on his shoulders. I've recently come to the conclusion that the gay bar is just not the right place for that. Haha! =)

Old 07-16-2010, 06:32 PM

AH09, check out the Milwaukee LGBT website for other organizations and clubs. Milwaukee isn't exactly brimming over with gay-oriented activities, but there's enough going on for most people. If I didn't travel so much I would join a group or two.

For the most part, young people in general don't attend church, and young gay people probably even less so. I know that the Unitarians have a gay outreach, though, as well as the Lutheran and Episcopalian churches mentioned. I think there's also a Catholic church with a strong gay outreach, but not sure. The MCC was founded, I believe, as a Congregationalist-affiliated gay-outreach church. But how many single young gays attend these churches in Milwaukee? I hope you report back....

Old 07-17-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
AH09, check out the Milwaukee LGBT website for other organizations and clubs. Milwaukee isn't exactly brimming over with gay-oriented activities, but there's enough going on for most people. If I didn't travel so much I would join a group or two.

For the most part, young people in general don't attend church, and young gay people probably even less so. I know that the Unitarians have a gay outreach, though, as well as the Lutheran and Episcopalian churches mentioned. I think there's also a Catholic church with a strong gay outreach, but not sure. The MCC was founded, I believe, as a Congregationalist-affiliated gay-outreach church. But how many single young gays attend these churches in Milwaukee? I hope you report back....
Just from the 3 churches I've visited, I hear you on your statement of young gay people not making up many of the churchgoers. Still and all, I've only tried 3 and none of them were Unitarian churches that you say attract more gay people so I'll keep out a little more hope. I'll report back but I don't think my chances are too good. Thanks for all the help. It doesn't go unappreciated. I am going to check into some of these other organizations and clubs. I know I've tried one from off the list (Gamma) a few years back. I went to a bowling event they had and only saw people in the 50s which is out of my age range.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:21 PM

You might also have better luck at these places (including Plymouth, perhaps) when the college kids are back in town. A lot of 'em pack up and head off for the summer.

Something else you can consider doing is simply to start your own group; perhaps there would be meeting space at the LGBT Center for you. It might be weird to make the group ultra-exclusive ("only young, single, good-looking, gay black men"), but it wouldn't hurt you to meet other people in general. That 50-year old lesbian may have a single gay male friend who's just right for you, but he has given up on looking, or you two would never cross paths otherwise. The more people you meet and the more you "get out there," the better your chances for serendipity and for what you're looking for. I met my partner not while I was intentionally looking, but when I showed up at a chance event and happened to meet him.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:43 AM

Quote:
You might also have better luck at these places (including Plymouth, perhaps) when the college kids are back in town. A lot of 'em pack up and head off for the summer.

Something else you can consider doing is simply to start your own group; perhaps there would be meeting space at the LGBT Center for you. It might be weird to make the group ultra-exclusive ("only young, single, good-looking, gay black men"), but it wouldn't hurt you to meet other people in general. That 50-year old lesbian may have a single gay male friend who's just right for you, but he has given up on looking, or you two would never cross paths otherwise. The more people you meet and the more you "get out there," the better your chances for serendipity and for what you're looking for. I met my partner not while I was intentionally looking, but when I showed up at a chance event and happened to meet him.
You just might be onto something there about Plymouth not having any young people for that reason; I actually remember when I went there last year, it was around the summer time so yea that might have just been the problem.

Everyone always tells me that you find the love of your life when you least expect it. Well I'm sitting in this chair least expecting it, so what the hell is taking this damn guy already?! lol! No but seriously, congrats on finding your soul mate and whatever you do, don't take what you have for granted. You have something special including the way you met this Mr. Right. You seem like a very sweet man so you are deserving of a special someone. Good for you! =)

As for your idea about starting up a group, it's really funny you say that because I have actually thought about this in the past but couldn't think of a way to go about getting the ball rolling. I, however, never thought about using the LGBT community center as a krutch. That's a brilliant idea. I actually think that might be doable; like something I could takcle. LMFAO @ how it would be weird targeting young, single, good-looking gay black men.

Hmm! Now how to attract just that without anyone suspecting a thing. What's scary is you may have said that as a joke but I'm dead serious. LMAO! With my luck, I'll probably be surrounded around a bunch of fat, oogly, desperate ass black men showing up and a white guy who like my last date says things like "I usually don't date black men because they're so much drama... well because it's true. I also don't like dark skinned black men but I'll go on a date you because you're not dark." You know, I wonder if I could hand out fliers to specific people that give me long drawn-out eye contact because a lot of black men do, like this black guy today at Mayfair Mall: he looked into my eyes for thee longest time. He had to be gay. Then there's the handsome black guy at Taylor's bar who eyed me earlier tonight. He had to be gay too -- I should be careful not to get that confused with the brotherly comraderie in the black community where we're all brothers and sisters and show that kind of extroversion to each other. That's mainly among older blacks though; not younger individuals. I think when younger individuals do it, it's gay. LOL!

But anyways, I'm sure the LGBT center can give me some ideas though so I'll stop rambling.

Last edited by AmericanHistory09; 07-18-2010 at 03:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee