U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 12:52 PM

114 posts, read 90,769 times

Advertisements

Just paid $379 in Washington State for my renewal. I recall paying $25 a year in Wisconsin back when we lived there. Arizona was around $500 (based on type/cost of vehicle). Each state will get you somehow - whether in vehicle registration or property taxes or sales tax or "sin" tax (cigarettes, alcohol).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 10:19 PM

3,021 posts, read 2,508,485 times
Fees are going up again Oct 1. I paid $95 earlier this year & now I'm going to have to pay $180 next year. Thanks Republican led legislature.

-I like Evers plan better of raising gas tax. This would at least target out of state drivers also who use our roads.

- When I bought my hybrid 10 years ago, some states were giving tax refunds or rebates to encourage being green. Now Wisconsin is punishing owners of electric vehicles or hybrids which sounds backwards.

-Some guy who drives an F350 giant pickup is going to be paying less money into the state to maintain roads, than someone who drives a Prius.

https://www.wisn.com/article/wiscons...oct-1/28670989

Quote:
"The Republican-controlled legislature installed the higher fees to pay for road projects.

Democratic Gov. Tony Evers wanted to raise the gas tax rather than DMV fees, but Republicans blocked it.

Critics contend the higher title and registration fees disproportionately affect poorer drivers."

Old 09-07-2019, 08:13 AM

108 posts, read 98,483 times
I paid 465.00 to register a new car in NH the fee went down as the car got older but I only paid 75.00 and it will go to 85.00 next year not that bad. If you raise the gas tax 5-10 years from now that revenue will be declining substantially as people begin to use electric cars etc more. Now you have to find electric power sources to charge those cars so where does that come from. Right now and for at least 10-20 years there is not enough solar and wind to even begin to have enough tp charge these vehicles. We would be better off having a 2.00 toll at our borders to make out of state drivers help to pay for the road repairs. Everybody thinks that we can fix thousands of miles of roads every year but that is impossible and the billions needed will never be enough.

Old 09-07-2019, 08:33 AM
sub
Status: "If I post, there's a legitimate reason for it." (set 14 days ago)

1,270 posts, read 573,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Fees are going up again Oct 1. I paid $95 earlier this year & now I'm going to have to pay $180 next year. Thanks Republican led legislature.

-I like Evers plan better of raising gas tax. This would at least target out of state drivers also who use our roads.

- When I bought my hybrid 10 years ago, some states were giving tax refunds or rebates to encourage being green. Now Wisconsin is punishing owners of electric vehicles or hybrids which sounds backwards.

-Some guy who drives an F350 giant pickup is going to be paying less money into the state to maintain roads, than someone who drives a Prius.

https://www.wisn.com/article/wiscons...oct-1/28670989
The guy with a f350 will still be paying significantly more in gas taxes than you, don't worry. It will more than make up for any differences in registration fees and surcharges. Your incentive for going green is saving money at the pump. Lack of extra government coddling isn't backwards in my book. As a democratic sympathizer, you should have no problem throwing a little extra money there way to support the cause.
Now that more people buy electrics and hybrids, simply raising the gas tax does not make sense. Evers is just a panderer like any other politician.

Old 09-08-2019, 05:47 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
31,194 posts, read 56,837,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azgkrudi View Post
Just paid $379 in Washington State for my renewal. I recall paying $25 a year in Wisconsin back when we lived there. Arizona was around $500 (based on type/cost of vehicle). Each state will get you somehow - whether in vehicle registration or property taxes or sales tax or "sin" tax (cigarettes, alcohol).
My 2 year old renewal was well over $500, my wife’s 2013 just under $300. Even my travel trailer was over $150. For $95 fee people here would be dancing in the streets.

Old 09-09-2019, 07:09 AM

3,021 posts, read 2,508,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
The guy with a f350 will still be paying significantly more in gas taxes than you, don't worry. It will more than make up for any differences in registration fees and surcharges. Your incentive for going green is saving money at the pump. Lack of extra government coddling isn't backwards in my book. As a democratic sympathizer, you should have no problem throwing a little extra money there way to support the cause.
I didn't realize each gallon had 31 cents in gas tax. That does help cover the difference the EV & hybrid owners pay extra for registration. I don't have a problem paying more taxes when it's used for a purpose we see results in.

Old 09-09-2019, 11:49 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
31,194 posts, read 56,837,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
I didn't realize each gallon had 31 cents in gas tax. That does help cover the difference the EV & hybrid owners pay extra for registration. I don't have a problem paying more taxes when it's used for a purpose we see results in.
Again, a bargain compared to our state where 67 cents of every gallon is taxes. If my 36 gallon tank is empty, that's $24 in taxes when I fill up.

EVs are now charged $150 more on their registration to cover the loss of gas taxes, and then another $75 for EV and Hybrids to pay for a grant program for charging stations.

Old 09-09-2019, 02:14 PM

4,501 posts, read 2,059,817 times
I used to hate that. And the driver's license renewal $$$.

Moved to AZ, transferred my license in 2008. It was like $30.

Expires in 2043! No joke!

Old 09-09-2019, 11:20 PM

32 posts, read 14,188 times
I've paid around $30-35 for the last 20 years from when my car was new to... not so new. It went up to $50 for 2 years, but then it was reduced back to $30. I have a smaller 4 door sedan. It's more for larger vehicles. No smog test, either. Yay Florida! I've been looking at a number of other states to move to, and I'm realizing that Florida has the best overall tax situation.

Old 09-10-2019, 01:57 AM

5,883 posts, read 2,280,135 times
In the 1950s, my dad paid $16 for Wis plates. Nobody had two cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or