Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2010, 05:12 PM

66 posts, read 247,774 times

Advertisements

A local historic skate park was unearthed this week. Originally opened in 1979 as Surf 'n' Turf near 894/West Loomis Road, this unique indoor concrete skatepark consisted of in-ground pools for riding skateboards.

As skateboarding lost popularity, it closed in 1982 and the building was repurposed as a strip club called Bell E. Buttons, though the pools remained intact under the floor. In 1987, the original owners of the skatepark were able to reacquire the building and reopen it for skateboarding as The Turf. At that time, it was one of only a handful of skateparks left in the U.S., and the only indoor skatepark in the country. It attracted professional and amateur skateboarders from around the world.

In 1996, as skateboarding's popularity hit another decline, it was closed for good, a decade before the mass construction of city-owned skateparks would begin. The pools were filled with gravel and covered with a concrete slab. The building then housed a cabinet company and a lawn and garden shop for nearly 15 years. Recently the building was vacated and demolished to make way for a new freeway ramp.

This week, work crews began removing the concrete slab and discovered the intact pools underneath. Excavation was halted until the impact of the pools could be discussed.

This project has not only exposed the pools that skaters never thought they'd see again, but has inspired some to act in hope of getting to skate there once again. Local skateboarders have been making calls to city and DOT officials to help them consider the value of preserving one of the original 1970's skateparks that Milwaukee was fortunate enough to have at one time.

In 2009, local skateboarders celebrated the 30 year anniversary of Turf...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 09:01 AM

2 posts, read 21,004 times
Default FOX6 News is on the story...

Thanks to the boarders who gave us a ring, we are on this story. We hope you get a chance to check out our story -- and follow our coverage in the days ahead.

Paste the following URL into your browser to check it out...

The Turf Unearthed: Road construction reveals traces of old skate park called "The Turf" - WITI (http://www.fox6now.com/news/witi-100804-turf-unearthed,0,6521408.story - broken link)

Old 08-05-2010, 09:55 AM

2 posts, read 21,004 times
Default Planning on following the story today...

Just got a call from the original owner, builder & designer of The Turf. He was overwhelmed at seeing the guys out there trying to salvage his creation. Watch FOX6 News and check FOX6Now.com for updates later.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:22 AM

I just watched the news story, thanks for devoting some time in your broadcast to this.

I was wondering what happened to the owner, Jerry I'm glad he is aware of what's going on. I'm sure the owner will be making a trip down there to talk to the guys.

This story is generating a lot of interest in the skateboard world. Thanks for keeping us posted on any new developments.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:03 PM

Skaters gathering at the site were visited by the Mayor of Greenfield, Michael Neitzke, today. He showed them blueprints of the freeway ramp and indicated that the roadway won't go directly over the pools, but the area will be used for staging heavy equipment. He said they are planning to develop the land after the ramp construction in 2012, so there is still time to discuss the skatepark buried underneath.

The Milwaukee Skateboarding Association was formed today to help present a unified message to DOT and Greenfield officials about preserving the skatepark. The Fox 6 story was picked up by CNN today and is attracting the attention of skateboarders around the world.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:13 AM

1 posts, read 10,280 times
The city should reopen it for the kids .they will save alote of money building simular recreational parks for the kids to go to instead of using public buissness's as thier playgrounds .they could rebuilt it .make it better and generate a huge income for thier city while doing the comunity a huge favor by offering the kids different activites to try .obesidy is really bad and it motivates kids to exersize .look at what there doing with burnside in portland .

Old 08-06-2010, 09:41 AM

1 posts, read 10,247 times
I remember turf since i was about 4 years old,i finally got a chance to skate their from kindergarten to about 3-4th grade.Me (brandon aitchison)and my brother (matt aitchison)went their EVERYDAY after school.My brother turned me to the place as soon as I was old enough,while he worked there.Some of my best memories are from turf.Bob used to video record me because I was so young and basically fearless at the park and could do so much for my age.I really miss the park and i would be interested in doing whatever I could to help save it and bring it back.Turf was my childhood and if givin the chance without skateboarding in years I would be back.This would really do alot for the community,it would give kids something to do rather than playing video games and watching tv and getting fat.there is no wrong reason why no to unearth the turf and bring it back,nothing but positives BRING IT BACK...hit me up on yahoo if theres anything I can do to help the movement [email]BRANDONAITCHISON@YAHOO.COM[/email] thanks

Old 08-06-2010, 05:57 PM

1 posts, read 10,200 times
This property was purchased in 1997 and was then completely remodeled and was home of the largest deck company in Wisconsin (Valley USA). This was the companys home until the DOT forced it to move in December 2009. When the property was purchased in 1997 it was being leased by Wisconsin Flameproof. The property was a eyesore for the city and the new owner had to agree not to house a strip club before any permits were given. Valley USA had done a lot for this property and was comfortable there as a business. If the DOT can uproot a company and force it to move, why would they give this property up for a skatepark that was buried years ago? The city and DOT do what works best for them....and no one else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee