Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 07:20 PM

40 posts, read 93,178 times

Advertisements

Ive seen so many posts on this site of people totally bashing Milwaukee. I ran across a thread filled with comments about all the things people actually like about the city and it was refreshing. There are a couple areas across the country that I am considering moving to, but im a little undecided. Im considering Milwaukee because it seems big enough to accommodate my thirst for things to do but small enough to still have a sense of community. I currently live in Atlanta and I just completed grad school with my MBA(yesss!!!). Im 24, black, gay, and really into sports. I'll be looking for a job as well... Looking for as much info as possible... THANX

Old 08-14-2010, 07:33 PM

7 posts, read 22,536 times
I am also considering a move to Milwaukee from Chicago. I too have seen a lot of negativity. The word "ghetto" is thrown about a lot. Having lived in the highest crime neighborhood in Cook County for three years and not only surviving, but enjoying living there, I think some of the posters in this community have very little actual experience living in a large city.

I, probably like a lot of these negative people, am a white boy from the suburbs. Instead of remaining ignorant, I got some culture. My best living experiences have been in, so called, "ghetto" neighborhoods. Sure, there's crime, there's drugs, but there's also some really nice, honest, and open-minded people too. Besides if you walk around a neighborhood like a victim, you'll get treated like one. I made Chicago's west side my HOME. If you act like you're at home, nobody ****s with you.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:45 PM

40 posts, read 93,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungLiver View Post
I am also considering a move to Milwaukee from Chicago. I too have seen a lot of negativity. The word "ghetto" is thrown about a lot. Having lived in the highest crime neighborhood in Cook County for three years and not only surviving, but enjoying living there, I think some of the posters in this community have very little actual experience living in a large city.

I, probably like a lot of these negative people, am a white boy from the suburbs. Instead of remaining ignorant, I got some culture. My best living experiences have been in, so called, "ghetto" neighborhoods. Sure, there's crime, there's drugs, but there's also some really nice, honest, and open-minded people too. Besides if you walk around a neighborhood like a victim, you'll get treated like one. I made Chicago's west side my HOME. If you act like you're at home, nobody ****s with you.
Why cant everybody from the 'burbs think like you?

Old 08-14-2010, 11:57 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,594,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKING28 View Post
Ive seen so many posts on this site of people totally bashing Milwaukee. I ran across a thread filled with comments about all the things people actually like about the city and it was refreshing. There are a couple areas across the country that I am considering moving to, but im a little undecided. Im considering Milwaukee because it seems big enough to accommodate my thirst for things to do but small enough to still have a sense of community. I currently live in Atlanta and I just completed grad school with my MBA(yesss!!!). Im 24, black, gay, and really into sports. I'll be looking for a job as well... Looking for as much info as possible... THANX
Well, half of the negative posts in this thread as of late, originate from THE SAME PERSON with numerous screen names (you should easily be able to figure it out with an MBA based on their generally pissed off writing style). In an area with almost two million people, one pissed off crank is a stastical anomaly.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:59 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,594,650 times
Why can't you think like "everybody from the burbs"?

It's a fair question.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:15 AM

8,275 posts, read 22,989,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungLiver View Post
I think some of the posters in this community have very little actual experience living in a large city
Thank You, Agreed. As someone who has lived in a lot bigger cities I completely agree!

Old 08-15-2010, 08:43 AM

146 posts, read 386,813 times
No, Milwaukee is not "bad". I think its an especially good place for someone in their 20's because you really don't have to try very hard to find something to do. Yeah some areas are kinda run down but you see that in any larger city. That being said I am moving to Arizona next year and I don't know if I'll come back when my classes are finished just because winter is so damn brutal to me. Winter is the main thing that holds this city back.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:12 AM

402 posts, read 971,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultracorp View Post
No, Milwaukee is not "bad". I think its an especially good place for someone in their 20's because you really don't have to try very hard to find something to do. Yeah some areas are kinda run down but you see that in any larger city. That being said I am moving to Arizona next year and I don't know if I'll come back when my classes are finished just because winter is so damn brutal to me. Winter is the main thing that holds this city back.
Winter? The last few years have been nothing.... The good far outweighs the bad, even the weather.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:54 AM

8,275 posts, read 22,989,113 times
Here you go...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee