Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2010, 05:33 PM

2 posts, read 3,411 times

Advertisements

Hi!
I was wondering about winter in Milwaukee. I know that Milwaukee is cold in the winter, but what about snow? Does it stays constantly for months on the ground or it melts and comes again?? Are there often days with out snow on the ground during the winter?
Thank you!
Dino
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 06:29 PM

88 posts, read 214,799 times
Man,it's like that mess will fall in December and stay on the ground until April.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:57 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino100 View Post
Hi!
I was wondering about winter in Milwaukee. I know that Milwaukee is cold in the winter, but what about snow? Does it stays constantly for months on the ground or it melts and comes again?? Are there often days with out snow on the ground during the winter?
Thank you!
Dino
It's not that bad, if you like winter.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 08-16-2010, 07:02 PM

88 posts, read 214,799 times
/\ lol

Old 08-16-2010, 08:28 PM

3 posts, read 2,781 times
Let's put it this way: if you're not a fan of snow much less cold weather where it gets below freezing, you may not like it here. We get used to it even though we complain about it every winter, but it can definitely wear on you each season. The thing I hate about the snow & freezing ice is how it just stays for like 3-4 months but then once April comes around it's awesome.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:47 AM

448 posts, read 1,819,551 times
Snow rarely stays around all winter long. There are plenty of warmer days (above freezing) when it almost all melts away. I know as a cross country skiing that days when there is usable snow on the ground are not that frequent. Most streets and sidewalks will be clear all winter long.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:11 PM

167 posts, read 315,478 times
The first snowfall in mid to late October is postcard pretty -- a perfect white blanket, trees flocked in white, etc., etc.

But by late April when the snow finally starts to melt it is filthy brown and the snowbanks are 3 - 4 feet tall at the end of the driveway, on the street corners, piled up everywhere. Roads are narrower because of all the snow & ice clogging the gutters, and the ice is black with grime. It is gloomy and gross.

As was stated, there are times when some of it melts away and the grass pokes out here and there, but the mounds of snow from shoveling and plowing can last until early May.

So the potential is there for eight months of snow on the ground, and most of the time it is just an annoyance. I was never one to sit down with a hot cocoa and watch the pretty snowflakes fall, and I could care less about a white Christmas.

My wife & I are both 41, lived here our entire lives, and we are finally saying 'uncle' and trying to find a way to move further south. Milwaukee is a pretty neat town, it's just the weather that is such a drag if you are not into colder temps and snow.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:25 AM

358 posts, read 450,834 times
The first snowfall usually comes mid to late November, not October

First Snowfall Statistics For Milwaukee and Madison

Mounds of snow that last until May? Really? I guess I never payed attention, but that seems exaggerated.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:23 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,002,695 times
I consider the snow season to be from the middle of December until the middle of March. Three months of real snow and after that it's usually snow then melt, at least in my view.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:16 PM

167 posts, read 315,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogee View Post
The first snowfall usually comes mid to late November, not October

First Snowfall Statistics For Milwaukee and Madison

Mounds of snow that last until May? Really? I guess I never payed attention, but that seems exaggerated.

Make no mistake, October can be mild. Our wedding day on Oct. 11 was 65 degrees and gorgeous that year. But October can also easily get cold enough to snow. Averages are just that - averages.

As for snow mounds, yeah a lot of it melts by late April but I've seen them into early May if it is a cooler spring. You can particularly notice them in large parking lots where they pile all the snow on one end of the lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee