U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-23-2010, 02:10 PM

196 posts, read 181,226 times

Advertisements

So I made out an ad in the platonic friends section of Craigslist because I have absolutely no social life whatsoever and this "str8 guy" who's also 23 responded awhile back and we've been getting to know each other and he's basically interested in getting around and doing fun things in the area as well. So where are some fun places for a first meeting for a gay black guy and str8 white guy. Haha! He knows I'm gay by the way. :P

So far, I've given him what I've learned from here which is that there's a lot of fun places downtown, the Third Ward, and east side but does anyone have any specifics and other options.

I don't know, if I don't drink, will I like these places in the downtown area and the third ward. What are they? Just places where you sit and drink all night. I want to go to places where there's a lot of fun stuff to do or some entertainment and people within our age range; you know whether it be dancing, listening to music, playing stuff, etc. I love being active and energetic. I love dancing. I don't like just sitting around watching people drink and talk loud at your average bar.

Also, what is that area over there in Murray Hill? Everytime I go to the Outback books or some gay book store I pass by this really ethnic type area in or near the Murray Hill area? There's like these dynamic ethnic diverse type restaurants and what looks to be a theater. Does anyone know what I'm thinking of and can anyone tell me anymore about that area? Is it a place that young 20 somethings would like?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 04:23 PM

428 posts, read 1,158,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanHistory09 View Post
Also, what is that area over there in Murray Hill? Everytime I go to the Outback books or some gay book store I pass by this really ethnic type area in or near the Murray Hill area? There's like these dynamic ethnic diverse type restaurants and what looks to be a theater. Does anyone know what I'm thinking of and can anyone tell me anymore about that area? Is it a place that young 20 somethings would like?
You may heard that there is a University there. The area along Oakland Avenue caters to the student crowd which happens to be people in their early 20s. Not much in the way of entertainment although the Miramar theater offers some interesting shows now and then. The arabic restaurants around there are good.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:48 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,457,978 times
As Nuclear Art says, the area you've described is the Oakland/Locust area near UWM. Right about now, and especially beginning next week, it's a rather popular and busy area for UWM students, especially on the weekends. Aside from bars and restaurants, though, there's not too much more to do.

Here are some ideas:

The area along Brady Street has lots of bars (including Hybrid, a gay bar at Brady and Van Buren), but also has several cafes. You can go with your friend to one of the cafes and hang out--some of the places even have board games and stuff like that.

If you want something a little more structured and fun, try Landmark Lanes on Farwell Avenue, just underneath the Oriental Theater. Aside from bowling, there's also arcade games, and maybe other stuff to do. The theater itself has good films, too.

Along Brady and Farwell (and surrounding streets), you and your friend can look over the shops, such as the various record/CD shops in the area. There are also some oddities shops--a place that sell vintage collectibles, another place that sells darts and juggling equipment. Perhaps you can get him to go with you to one of those clothing shops mentioned on another thread....

Riverwest is also a hangout for young adults. There are plenty of bars, but as with other neighborhoods, some have more going on than others. Fuel Cafe and Alterra are popular cafes there.

Bayview is also an interesting area. Lots of bars, of course, but also various cafes, a couple of bookstores, some bowling/gaming places--primarily around the Lincoln and KK area, but there are pockets of activity all along the stretch. The Third Ward and Downtown are a bit more upscale, but are focused on bars and restaurants. Even the Borders at Grand Avenue closes early, so that's not really an entertainment option.

The bar scene pretty much dominates cultural life in these neighborhoods, but not all bars are the same. Some are just drinking-and-screaming bars, but other feature all manner of interesting music, game tournaments, contests, etc. You kind of have to scout around in order to know which places are most suitable. All of these neighborhoods have a significant presence of gays, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I'm not a young adult, and I'm not a bar-and-games kind of person, so I would be more inclined to go somewhere a bit more sedate, such as Downer Avenue (between Park Place and Bradford). There are a couple of bars and pubs, as well as a cafe or two, the Downer Theater, and Bosley's Books--a good place for book shopping and author events.

Another option--one I almost hesitate to recommend because it's so suburban--is Bayshore Town Center. On the weekends, the various (chain) restaurants and bars are hopping, the IPIC Theater has movies as well as arcade games, and the Barnes and Noble bookstore is large and has good hours. Not quite the gripping, urban atmosphere I would prefer, but there are plenty of 20-somethings there on the weekends, and the mall is densely built enough to allow for moving between venues without a car.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:50 PM

196 posts, read 181,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quijote View Post
As Nuclear Art says, the area you've described is the Oakland/Locust area near UWM. Right about now, and especially beginning next week, it's a rather popular and busy area for UWM students, especially on the weekends. Aside from bars and restaurants, though, there's not too much more to do.

Here are some ideas:

The area along Brady Street has lots of bars (including Hybrid, a gay bar at Brady and Van Buren), but also has several cafes. You can go with your friend to one of the cafes and hang out--some of the places even have board games and stuff like that.

If you want something a little more structured and fun, try Landmark Lanes on Farwell Avenue, just underneath the Oriental Theater. Aside from bowling, there's also arcade games, and maybe other stuff to do. The theater itself has good films, too.

Along Brady and Farwell (and surrounding streets), you and your friend can look over the shops, such as the various record/CD shops in the area. There are also some oddities shops--a place that sell vintage collectibles, another place that sells darts and juggling equipment. Perhaps you can get him to go with you to one of those clothing shops mentioned on another thread....

Riverwest is also a hangout for young adults. There are plenty of bars, but as with other neighborhoods, some have more going on than others. Fuel Cafe and Alterra are popular cafes there.

Bayview is also an interesting area. Lots of bars, of course, but also various cafes, a couple of bookstores, some bowling/gaming places--primarily around the Lincoln and KK area, but there are pockets of activity all along the stretch. The Third Ward and Downtown are a bit more upscale, but are focused on bars and restaurants. Even the Borders at Grand Avenue closes early, so that's not really an entertainment option.

The bar scene pretty much dominates cultural life in these neighborhoods, but not all bars are the same. Some are just drinking-and-screaming bars, but other feature all manner of interesting music, game tournaments, contests, etc. You kind of have to scout around in order to know which places are most suitable. All of these neighborhoods have a significant presence of gays, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I'm not a young adult, and I'm not a bar-and-games kind of person, so I would be more inclined to go somewhere a bit more sedate, such as Downer Avenue (between Park Place and Bradford). There are a couple of bars and pubs, as well as a cafe or two, the Downer Theater, and Bosley's Books--a good place for book shopping and author events.

Another option--one I almost hesitate to recommend because it's so suburban--is Bayshore Town Center. On the weekends, the various (chain) restaurants and bars are hopping, the IPIC Theater has movies as well as arcade games, and the Barnes and Noble bookstore is large and has good hours. Not quite the gripping, urban atmosphere I would prefer, but there are plenty of 20-somethings there on the weekends, and the mall is densely built enough to allow for moving between venues without a car.
quijote, that was all just what the doctor ordered, and I'm actually quite pleased you listed the Bayshore Town Center idea as I had a great time last I went there, and wouldn't mind hanging out there with a friend; not to mention, I remember coming past some fancy diners there that'd be nice to visit. I must say though that the idea that grabbed me most out of your list was the Landmark Lanes one on Farwell Avenue and all the goings-on you mentioned underneath the Oriental theater; that's something I'm definitely interested in. I'm just going to take your advice of scouting around though in some of these areas you've listed. Humongous thanks! As always, you've outdone yourself!

Last edited by AmericanHistory09; 08-24-2010 at 06:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee