Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 01:41 PM

461 posts, read 922,384 times

Advertisements

If you are in the left lane and going slower than the person behind you, get out of the left lane. Obviously, there are some exceptions, but this should be the general rule. Take your slow ass to the right side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 02:51 PM

251 posts, read 571,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben242000 View Post
If you are in the left lane and going slower than the person behind you, get out of the left lane. Obviously, there are some exceptions, but this should be the general rule. Take your slow ass to the right side.
totally agree. if someone is tailgating, you should get over and let them go scout the cops for you .
who knows, they might be late for their accident.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:01 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitylove View Post
totally agree. if someone is tailgating, you should get over and let them go scout the cops for you .
who knows, they might be late for their accident.

How is driving 70 on a road where the speed limit used to be 70 unsafe? I let my radar detector scout the cops for me.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:45 PM

483 posts, read 1,221,427 times
It's not. Interstates are held to a certain standard, and that includes being safe at 75mph. Not to mention vehicles for decades have been designed to not only be safe but also perform at higher speeds. Europe's equivalent to our interstates have an 81mph speed limit; the problems occur with the majority of Americans being horrible at driving. Such as not understanding the concept of "slower traffic keep right".:\

Old 02-22-2012, 10:19 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,311,455 times
According to www.interstate-guide.com, these are general interstate standards:

«Design speed should generally be 70 miles per hour, with 60 miles per hour sections allowed in hilly terrain and 50 miles per hour sections allowed in urban areas or within mountainous regions.»

According to their website, this information (and the rest of the site's information) comes from the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Organization. Evidently, actual speed limits may vary, and such is the case in Wisconsin: 50 and 55 on most urban stretches in Milwaukee; 65 on most suburban and rural stretches beyond. Maybe the state went from a 70 MPH maximum to a 65 MPH max because 70 MPH was deemed unsafe? Does it even matter what the state MPH max "used to be"? There used to be a lot of laws and freedoms that have been modified over the years. Do we get to pick and choose which ones apply? Perhaps some people see speeding as a form of social protest or civil disobedience against unjustly low speed limits, but more likely many people incorrectly see speeding as a kind of inherent right or entitlement regardless of the actual laws.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:32 PM

Interstate-guide is a private website run by a guy who takes pictures while he's on the road.
If 70 were the maximum, this would not add up as the speed limit on I-10 in western Texas is 80mph, and many states have a 75mph limit... Wyoming, Nebraska, etc. The interstates in these states follow the same guidelines we have here.

Call it "entitlement" or whatever you want- I'm going to go with the flow of traffic in order to not be a hazard to myself and others. 9 times out of 10 it's at least 5mph over the limit.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:51 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,311,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nidex View Post
Interstate-guide is a private website run by a guy who takes pictures while he's on the road.
If 70 were the maximum, this would not add up as the speed limit on I-10 in western Texas is 80mph, and many states have a 75mph limit... Wyoming, Nebraska, etc. The interstates in these states follow the same guidelines we have here.
Yes, what is considered safe and acceptable does vary, hence the "generally." I'm not particularly against higher posted speed limits in some places, but it seems to make sense to have lower limits in highly traveled metro zones with regular exit/entrance ramps situated to the left and to the right.

Quote:
Call it "entitlement" or whatever you want- I'm going to go with the flow of traffic in order to not be a hazard to myself and others. 9 times out of 10 it's at least 5mph over the limit.
I'm not sure I've ever been in a situation on a Milwaukee highway where "merely" going the posted speed limit was a "hazard" to anyone, unless you're referring to people speeding in the left lane who perilously approach from behind a driver going at the speed limit. Then yes, when the speeder assumes rights over the speed-limit driver, when "get out of my way" trumps "maybe I should cool my heels," that can indeed be a hazard. (And of course, the speed-limit driver should let the speeder pass, but out of courtesy, not because the speed limit is too slow. And who wants to tangle with a road bully anyway?)

Old 02-23-2012, 12:34 AM

I was thinking more along the lines of Chicago expressways when the traffic is moving at 20 over the posted limit and there's someone in the left lane going the speed limit with Wisconsin plates :]

I kid... well only half-way.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quijote View Post
According to www.interstate-guide.com, these are general interstate standards:

«Design speed should generally be 70 miles per hour, with 60 miles per hour sections allowed in hilly terrain and 50 miles per hour sections allowed in urban areas or within mountainous regions.»

According to their website, this information (and the rest of the site's information) comes from the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Organization. Evidently, actual speed limits may vary, and such is the case in Wisconsin: 50 and 55 on most urban stretches in Milwaukee; 65 on most suburban and rural stretches beyond. Maybe the state went from a 70 MPH maximum to a 65 MPH max because 70 MPH was deemed unsafe? Does it even matter what the state MPH max "used to be"? There used to be a lot of laws and freedoms that have been modified over the years. Do we get to pick and choose which ones apply? Perhaps some people see speeding as a form of social protest or civil disobedience against unjustly low speed limits, but more likely many people incorrectly see speeding as a kind of inherent right or entitlement regardless of the actual laws.

The reason the speed limit is only 65 is for revenue generation purposes only - so cops can write more tickets. Nearly every other state has a 70 or higher freeway speed limit. In Michigan, the MINIMUM freeway speed limit is 55 and that is on an Interstate built to the same standards as those in Wisconsin.

Ohio will soon be raising their freeway speed limits back to 70, the same as what it was pre-55.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidex View Post
It's not. Interstates are held to a certain standard, and that includes being safe at 75mph. Not to mention vehicles for decades have been designed to not only be safe but also perform at higher speeds. Europe's equivalent to our interstates have an 81mph speed limit; the problems occur with the majority of Americans being horrible at driving. Such as not understanding the concept of "slower traffic keep right".:\
Some countries in Europe have 140km/hr speed limits = 87mph. Of course, we all know Germany does not have speed limits on the Autobahn and people are not dying in mass numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee