Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2017, 02:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,702 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about moving to the Milwaukee area from Long Island, NY for personal reasons. I am an openly gay man, not in a committed relationship, who loves the Wisconsin Badgers and Green Bay Packers and who needs his fix of cultural events as I am surrounded by many choices here on LI and of course in NYC. I was born and raised in WI but left it 37 years ago. Though I have returned often, I am struggling with whether to return or not.
I would appreciate unbiased, non-judging, or over the top advice either way.
Any help would be appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 05:52 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,279,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1725 View Post
I am thinking about moving to the Milwaukee area from Long Island, NY for personal reasons. I am an openly gay man, not in a committed relationship, who loves the Wisconsin Badgers and Green Bay Packers and who needs his fix of cultural events as I am surrounded by many choices here on LI and of course in NYC. I was born and raised in WI but left it 37 years ago. Though I have returned often, I am struggling with whether to return or not.
Do you have a job possibly lined up? Or are you in an industry that is in some demand in Milwaukee? Or perhaps you're retired?

Milwaukee is a very good place for gays, but it really depends on what you like to do and what your life in general is like. There are many gays here who participate in some way in the LGBT community--they go to a bar occasionally or a lot; they join LGBT social groups; they volunteer at the LGBT center; and so on. Many gays have very little or nothing to do with the "official" LGBT community: they may have their own circle of friends; their workplace provides most of their social interaction; they don't identify primarily as LGBT, so may live in an area where other aspects of their identity and interest are more indulged.

Having said this, you may want to consider where you fit into all of this. All sorts of options exist. The LGBT community is reasonably active and diverse, and there are quite a few groups and events to participate in, but some things are more abundant than others. If you play cards or enjoy bowling, you can find lots of LGBT outlets. If you like films, books, and such, there's a bit of that, too, but not as much. There are many educated, white-collar professionals here, including many LGBT, but the LGBT community events and groups skew blue collar.

On a larger scale, there are many cultural venues in Milwaukee--museums, theater, and such. But theater tends to be more middlebrow than highbrow, there aren't many bookstores left. Sports are big, though.

I've been in Milwaukee for over 15 years and have found the LGBT community to be a bit cliquish. Most folks are from the area and already have their friends established from years ago, even from high school and college. If you're not very outgoing and socially aggressive, you may find it a bit tough to reach into some areas of the community. But you said that you're from Wisconsin, so perhaps you already know some people?

Ultimately, the key (from my perspective) is to get involved: join a couple of groups, do some volunteering, force yourself to meet people. If you like the arts, consider volunteering as an usher or a docent. Just meet people in general--gay or straight or whatever--and you'll eventually build a group of friends. Alternatively, you can try to meet people online, especially if you don't live/work in one of the "core" LGBT areas such as the East Side, Bay View, Shorewood, etc.

If you have more specific questions, just ask them.

Old 01-27-2017, 05:08 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,079,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1725 View Post
Are you worried about acceptance? If so, don't be. Having lived in MKE for 10 years (only recently moving) I have many LGBT friends in the area. Not once have I heard them speak poorly of the city in this respect. As you're aware, anti-LGBT people are everywhere regardless of the city's politics, so you're bound to run into a conflict at some point. Although I wouldn't worry about it more in MKE than I would anywhere else. Including my current city known for it's acceptance (LA).

Old 01-30-2017, 11:46 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,718,061 times
Lots of info on the Milwaukee LGBT Center page--or give them a call about what areas might fit your specific demographic.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:56 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,570,350 times
Not everybody wants to live in a ghetto. I couldn't live in an area just because the majority was of a certain religion or sexual persuasion. Good people are everywhere. Get out of the house, walk the dog and meet somebody. It doesn't cost you anything to be friendly. Say Hi to someone and see. If they don't say Hi you really haven't lost anything right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee