Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 05:20 PM

8 posts, read 14,935 times

Advertisements

I am looking for recommendations on where to live in Milwaukee. I just graduated from college and I will be moving up there to work. I got a job in South Milwaukee. I have heard that Bayview, Historic Third Ward, and the Eastern side of downtown. I am looking to be close to people my age (23).

I have only been up there a handful of times for interviews, so I know very little about the area. Any advice would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 04:42 PM

50 posts, read 169,134 times
Bayview has lots of good bars !
What can you afford for rent ?
This will tell us where you need to look.
Downtown & The Historic Third Ward could be pricey.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:58 PM

I budgeted about 1400 for everything including parking and utilities

Old 12-11-2010, 08:48 PM

So what would be some good locations in Bay view to look at?

Old 12-12-2010, 03:41 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
Anywhere in Bayview the better half of Bayview is east of KK but that's just my opinion.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:54 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,004,031 times
I find this consistent suggestion of looking for an apartment/rental in Bay View for a newcomer to Milwaukee a bit strange. Bay View is middle class and blue collar. The homes are modest and well kept up, but the rental selection is not very good. The rents are cheap. $1400 will get you a nice house no problem, but most of the rentals consist of modest duplexes and 1950's and 60's apartment buildings. There is almost zero upscale rentals in Bay View, maybe a few buts thats it. There is some alternative scene stuff on KK, but nightlife is corner bar south side stuff. This is O.K. for the locals, but a newcomer may want something more cosmopolitan. For the most part Bay View is a hyped up West Allis. Not that this is bad, but this is what it is.

The Washington Heights/Tosa/Story Hill area is much better than Bay View. The homes are much nicer, the apartments are stately 1920's classic construction, the area is much more central located and even the nightlife is on par.

The East Side and near North Shore is the best area in my book. Classic buildings, new construction, nice parks, nightlife, etc... It's far above Bay View.

I not trying to put Bay View down, I'm only telling the way it is IMO. It's blue collar, middle class, unpretentious, laid back and 98% of the population has spent their entire life there. If this is what your looking for then go for it. I'm just letting you know what your getting into.

Last edited by Allan Trafton; 12-13-2010 at 11:23 AM..

Old 12-13-2010, 03:57 PM

Trafton, Thankyou for the well thought out input, I appreciate it. I have been doing some searching and it looks like I might try to live near the Engineering school downtown, on the Lower East side. It seems this is a decent balance of distance from where I will work to price I have to pay. Anyone have any ideas on some of the apartments up there? Also, I played club water polo in college and I was wondering if there was a city league for that? I know its not really a popular sport. Or does anyone have any suggestions on a boxing gym that I could join. It is something I have wanted to do for years just never had the time.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:35 AM

20 posts, read 81,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heeeelp View Post
Trafton, Thankyou for the well thought out input, I appreciate it. I have been doing some searching and it looks like I might try to live near the Engineering school downtown, on the Lower East side. It seems this is a decent balance of distance from where I will work to price I have to pay. Anyone have any ideas on some of the apartments up there? Also, I played club water polo in college and I was wondering if there was a city league for that? I know its not really a popular sport. Or does anyone have any suggestions on a boxing gym that I could join. It is something I have wanted to do for years just never had the time.
There's a decent sized Gold's gym opening downtown, blocks from where you're looking. Lower East side is your best bet from the sound of it. Look between North Ave and Downtown. Here

http://www.city-data.com/zips/53202.html

Nightlife, etc: bar - Google Maps

I've lived in and around the area for five years now and love it. There's always something to do.

Where are you moving from?

Old 12-23-2010, 12:22 AM

131 posts, read 209,148 times
Bay View unpretentious? Bay View is the neighborhood for hipsters that don't actually do anything hip. There isn't a ton of quality food in the area (but Classic Slice is KILLER, and being so near Wildflour and Outpost is nice. Also, I mean specifically IN Bay View. There are a lot of quality immigrant-run places near the neighborhood.). Most of the bars are filled with idiots. I'd rather live in any of the other "cool" neighborhoods, I think. Even the east side.

Old 12-25-2010, 03:48 PM

I am moving from Colorado. I just found a place in the lower east side. It seems nice. Now I just need to find a bar or something to do on New Years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee