Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2010, 04:58 PM

21 posts, read 76,645 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We're moving to the area from Minneapolis. In Minneapolis, if kids go to public neighborhood schools, the school is required to provide school bus transportation to kids who live further than "walking distance" away from the school. I've been trying to figure out the bus system for public schools in Whitefish Bay and/or Shorewood, and am not finding anything. Can anyone tell me a little bit about how kids get to and from school in that area? Especially elementary age... Are parents expected to drive? I can't imagine the little ones walking more than a block by themselves and crossing some of the larger streets by themselves.... Thank you!
Sara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 06:23 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,311,455 times
Not entirely sure, but I've seen school buses circulating around WFB. I've also seen smaller kids walking--the larger streets and busier intersections have posted crossing guards at pre- and post-class times.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:44 PM

7 posts, read 38,483 times
I'm almost positive they are required to walk or drive for shorewood(if you live in shorewood I know at least). Not sure for WFB.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,698 times
Shorewood is less than a square mile, and divided into 2 elementary school districts so kids walk or bike to school. There are crossing guards along the few busy streets, and a pretty strong culture for parents/neighbors walking their kids to school if they think they're too young to walk alone. The neighborhood was built out by the 1920's, so there are no particularly streets or places without sidewalks. And there is (thanks in part to Milwaukee's intense segregation and a lot of suburban police) more or less NO crime on the North Shore. WFB is the exact same way, just a bit more spread out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee