U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-12-2011, 06:30 PM

2 posts, read 17,341 times
Default Wisconsin/Milwaukee heat laws and minimum temperatures

The temperature in my apartment in Milwaukee is 60-62 degrees during the day (just bought a digital thermometer to confirm this). Most other cities seem to have laws saying that landlords must keep the temp at around 67F, by law. All I can find in Milwaukee/Wisconsin laws is that the landlord must tell the tenant that the building cannot maintain 67F before a lease is signed.

Does anyone know if there is a law that outright states a minimum temp for inhabitability? Again, all I can find is this law that tenants must be notified if it will be colder than 67, but I'm looking for something that says that it is "illegal" for a unit to be below a minimum temperature. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 06:10 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,981,490 times
Wisconsin Residential Rental Practices

ATCP 134.04(2)(b)2
" Heating facilities serving the dwelling unit are not in safe operating condition, or are not capable of maintaining a temperature , in all living areas of the dwelling unit, of at least 67 F (19 C) during all seasons of the year in which the dwelling unit may be occupied. Temperatures in living areas shall be measured at the approximate center of the room, midway between floor and ceiling."

http://legis.wisconsin.gov/rsb/code/atcp/atcp134.pdf

Here is a link for landlord or property complaints. Complaint Process

Keep in mind that there could be stipulations in addition to what I've posted, the code could be obsolete, etc. It's probably not. I vaguely remember something about a building's temperature design (there is a code for that, I believe), When the temperature falls below the design temperature, the 67 degree mark does not necessarily have to be maintained. Again, do more homework, don't quote me on any of this.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:58 AM

2 posts, read 17,341 times
thanks, much appreciated. my landlord is cooperative so far in working to correct this, but I'll need this for reference just in case!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
View detailed profiles of: