Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 08:58 PM

5 posts, read 8,546 times

Advertisements

I would consider Menomonee Falls if you want a safe suburban lifestyle that is very integrated.
Our public schools and most stores have a noted black presence. I say this from experience, as I grew up in MF when it was lilly white. I believe, at last count, we have over 500 black families here already, and more are on the way. These families, however, are fairly affluent, as they tend to live in the upscale subdivisions of MF where houses range in the $500,000 or more price range. Here on CD, I read the average price of a black owned home in MF is well over $400K. There are of course, more modest digs as well, but it is said that MF is the New Brown Deer...which may be another community to investigate. Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 08:59 AM

93,197 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY228 View Post
I would consider Menomonee Falls if you want a safe suburban lifestyle that is very integrated.
Our public schools and most stores have a noted black presence. I say this from experience, as I grew up in MF when it was lilly white. I believe, at last count, we have over 500 black families here already, and more are on the way. These families, however, are fairly affluent, as they tend to live in the upscale subdivisions of MF where houses range in the $500,000 or more price range. Here on CD, I read the average price of a black owned home in MF is well over $400K. There are of course, more modest digs as well, but it is said that MF is the New Brown Deer...which may be another community to investigate. Good Luck!
Glendale and maybe parts of Wauwatosa could work as well.

Old 12-31-2015, 02:51 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,886,587 times
any neighbourhood in Milwaukee County with apartment building, even if it is considered "predominantly white" has sizeable black population. So, feel free to look for best schools, best area, whatever is good for you and your child. Don't look at block-by-block statistics too much.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:52 AM

1,261 posts, read 949,869 times
Granville on the Northwest side is also very integrated and safe. It is not a very walkable neighborhood, though.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:47 PM

14 posts, read 13,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 414MKE View Post
Hi, all. I've lurked from time to time, but am finally posting.

Our lease is up, and we'll be moving in the next couple of months. I know it sounds like a tall order -- an integrated neighborhood in the #1 most segregated city in the country -- but hey, that's why I'm here asking.

We've lived in Riverwest for the past few years, and love it. Certainly looking in the neighborhood, but there are other areas I'd like to consider. I want a safe area; but I don't mean "safe" in the same sense as some suburbanite who hasn't seen a dark face in months, I mean safe as in a lack of gang/drug/violence. My family is white, but on our stretch of Booth we have black and latino neighbors -- and no, we are not scared of them.

I want safe for the same reason I want integrated: my kid. Of course any parent wants their child to be safe; but it's also of vital importance that she doesn't grow up where everybody looks like her. At the same time, I don't want her growing up where NOBODY looks like her.

So yeah. There are several areas we'd like to live. As mentioned, Riverwest is comfy. We like Bay View, though it's a little over-white in most parts. Washington Heights, that area's pretty diverse in race and life experience. But is there anything I'm overlooking? Are there good, safe, racially/ethincally/religiously/experientially mixed pockets elsewhere in the city that my family should be exploring?

Thanks in advance.
The real question is once you move will your daughter be attending a school where there is racial diversity. That's going to be real slim when you're talking about MPS. The south side, though more Latinos, will have more diverse schools as there are still black students enrolled.

Old 07-15-2017, 11:54 AM

93,197 posts, read 123,783,345 times
This may help in terms of schools: Menomonee Falls School District - USA.comâ„¢

Glendale-River Hills School District - USA.comâ„¢
Nicolet Union High School District - USA.comâ„¢

Wauwatosa School District - USA.comâ„¢

Or look here: Milwaukee, WI - USA.comâ„¢
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee