Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 07:05 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
I've never seen racism as bad as in Wisconsin. It's disgusting.
How many places have you been to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 06:37 PM

16 posts, read 95,677 times
I don't mean to disrespect anyone or undermine your experiences with racism in Milwaukee, especially since I'm white, but I feel like most northern urban areas are the same way...it's unfortunate, but definitely not limited to Milwaukee. Growing up in Wisconsin, I hate the bad rap Milwaukee gets for this. There are more blacks than whites in the city of Milwaukee and maybe the community as a whole wouldn't get such a bad rep if there wasn't so much crime in the "black areas of Milwaukee." Wonder why there's urban flight or segregation in the Milwaukee area? Go north of downtown and you'll see why. Go to the Southside of Chicago or Northeast Minneapolis. What's the common denominator? They're all highly concentrated black areas. My girlfriend is a grade school teacher on the south side of Chicago and had the worst year ever because of the people that live in the area and go to the school. Why would ANYONE want to move into those areas if they didn't have to?!? This is why cities become segregated. Why this may seem "racist" to many people, it's a fact! Look up crime rates and the corresponding demographics of the people that live in the area. Why does Atlanta seem more appealing to blacks than Milwaukee...just because there's a higher percentage (53% to 39%) of blacks? There's also more crime in Atlanta...coincidence? Maybe people (regardless of their race) should take accountability for themselves and stop blaming a region or city for their problems. It's not the city, it's you. Milwaukee is a great place and I hate to see it badmouthed by ignorant people who don't understand why it is the way it is. Look around you and start making a change!

Old 06-17-2012, 10:49 PM

34 posts, read 99,718 times
i don't see any racism, it's not the city's fault african americans tend to lower housing values, and not to mention ruin summerfest/state fair

Old 08-23-2012, 11:51 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,449,403 times
Good Grief!
I grew up in Milwaukee and moved away 17 years ago.
I've been considering moving back but had COMPLETELY forgotten about the black/white tensions there.
Are there any groups trying to stop the madness and unite the city or?

Old 08-23-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barajaj View Post
i don't see any racism, it's not the city's fault african americans tend to lower housing values, and not to mention ruin summerfest/state fair
I never said it was anyone's fault. However, judging by your post, you seem to stereotype people.

Let me tell you this. It isn't the fault of decent, law abiding African-Americans that a certain segment of the African-American population is doing stupid things like ruin summerfest/the state fair.

In fact, if there is one thing to address is this. Why is Milwaukee losing alot of its educated Blacks to other cities like Dallas, Atlanta, Charlotte, even Chicago? Ask yourself that for a moment. This is NOT a rhetorical question. I'm looking for your answer to this question.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:12 PM

3 posts, read 5,064 times
I am completely blown away by the comments made on both sides of this argument. I am a white female married to a black male. We are both active duty in the military and that is what brought us to Milwaukee. And we LOVE it here. I grew up in St. Louis, MO and he grew up in a small town south of there. We have also been station in Philadelphia and **NEWS FLASH PEOPLE** There is racism, segregation, and HATE EVERYWHERE! There are hoods and ghettos everywhere along with uppity, snooty neighborhoods. People just choose to pinpoint the things they see and make it to be a bigger deal then it is and point fingers. I saw more segregation in areas in Philly, and more racism in St. Louis. FROM BOTH SIDES.

(Keep in mind that I have obviously dealt with racism from both blacks and whites being of german and hispanic decent, who went to a predominantly black school, and married a well spoken black man. Also, my husband has dealt with racism from both races for being a literate black male who married a white girl.)

Milwaukee has its same issues as everywhere else, and I and close friends with people from the south such as Louisiana, Mississippi and Georgia who had more racist issues than I have every experienced here. We plan on buying a house and staying in Wisconsin for the long haul, because we honestly feel that we can find a great area in the city to raise our children in that DOESN'T place them in a situation where they will be forced into gangs like I grew up. And also offers great places to go and things to do, and housing is affordable.

We have never gotten weird looks or comments when we are together. We have been all over, including brookfield and yes, we went to summerfest and the state fair HOLDING HANDS AND GIVING EACH OTHER KISSES with not a single comment or negative glance. The only comment we have ever gotten is people asking where we are from because we have a bit of a Missouri accent. Get over yourselves, it's not any more racist then any other city, you just have to choose your company wisely and be ready to deal with situations as they come.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:24 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,449,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gapratcher View Post
I am completely blown away by the comments made on both sides of this argument. I am a white female married to a black male. We are both active duty in the military and that is what brought us to Milwaukee. And we LOVE it here. I grew up in St. Louis, MO and he grew up in a small town south of there. We have also been station in Philadelphia and **NEWS FLASH PEOPLE** There is racism, segregation, and HATE EVERYWHERE! There are hoods and ghettos everywhere along with uppity, snooty neighborhoods. People just choose to pinpoint the things they see and make it to be a bigger deal then it is and point fingers. I saw more segregation in areas in Philly, and more racism in St. Louis. FROM BOTH SIDES.

(Keep in mind that I have obviously dealt with racism from both blacks and whites being of german and hispanic decent, who went to a predominantly black school, and married a well spoken black man. Also, my husband has dealt with racism from both races for being a literate black male who married a white girl.)

Milwaukee has its same issues as everywhere else, and I and close friends with people from the south such as Louisiana, Mississippi and Georgia who had more racist issues than I have every experienced here. We plan on buying a house and staying in Wisconsin for the long haul, because we honestly feel that we can find a great area in the city to raise our children in that DOESN'T place them in a situation where they will be forced into gangs like I grew up. And also offers great places to go and things to do, and housing is affordable.

We have never gotten weird looks or comments when we are together. We have been all over, including brookfield and yes, we went to summerfest and the state fair HOLDING HANDS AND GIVING EACH OTHER KISSES with not a single comment or negative glance. The only comment we have ever gotten is people asking where we are from because we have a bit of a Missouri accent. Get over yourselves, it's not any more racist then any other city, you just have to choose your company wisely and be ready to deal with situations as they come.
I'm so happy to hear this!

Old 09-16-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gapratcher View Post

Which part of Milwaukee are you in?

Old 09-29-2012, 08:59 AM

2 posts, read 3,136 times
Basically stay to the South of Downtown and rule out anything in the North side and the Northwest side, lots of crime there, shootings, muggings, robberies etc... try Oak Creek, Franklin, Greendfield, Greendale and you'll be

Old 09-29-2012, 09:02 AM

2 posts, read 3,136 times
If your putting your kids in public schools, the MPS graduation rate is around 48% so I'd look elsewhere for the sake of your kids besides the city limits of Milwaukee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee