U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 08:12 AM

6,808 posts, read 11,789,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear_Art View Post
Marquette is extremely conservative and you will hear the typical conservative propaganda and fears when you read the Marquette Times
Actually it isn't. It's a very pro gay university and liberal in many ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 08:57 AM

428 posts, read 1,140,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Ha, ha, ha! Pro-gay, that is a good joke. You must have missed the Jodi O'Brien debacle. Seriously, no, the university administration and student body is overwhelmingly conservative in a tea party sense. Liberal voices are a minority. Like I said, I personally know several faculty and they are confronted first-hand by the highly conservative nature of students and administration.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:05 PM

72 posts, read 109,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristy1958 View Post
there's an apartment complex in Hartland with reasonable rents,safety,and is a short ride to the Freeway...I think they're like $550/mo,cats ok,and lots of neighbors & very little to be afraid of....and the freeway will get you to the University in about 25 minutes,maybe less.I'll put you on my prayer list!
Not really. I just moved away from Hartland. I believe the complex you are talking about is the "Country Aire". The units start at $615. They are perfectly fine, but not very "fresh" in appearance inside or out and you can't really walk with a child or stroller to any of the parks/schools/library because there are no sidewalks leading up to the complex. Yes, they are right on the freeway - you can hear hwy 16 as soon as you walk out of the building, but the commute is a solid 35 minutes to the downtown exits, more with traffic (my husband made the commute from Hartland to Old World 3rd St every day for 2 years).

Hartland is a great little town. I liked living there and recommend it to many people, but it doesn't seem to be anything close to what the OP was looking for.
The city of Milwaukee and its near suburbs will offer plenty of what the OP requires.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:46 PM

6,808 posts, read 11,789,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear_Art View Post
Ha, ha, ha! Pro-gay, that is a good joke. You must have missed the Jodi O'Brien debacle. Seriously, no, the university administration and student body is overwhelmingly conservative in a tea party sense. Liberal voices are a minority. Like I said, I personally know several faculty and they are confronted first-hand by the highly conservative nature of students and administration.

They have a pride week, they have a Gay/Straight Alliance, they put on gay plays, they put gay flags in the lawn around the campus during pride week here in Milwaukee, they just extended benefits to gay partners at MU. The Jodie debate was not based on her sex preferences more about her character and her past. I also have gay friends and aids that work there and tell a different story, so based on all my facts I would say they are a gay friendly uni after all you're supposed to dislike the sin and not the sinner. While their paper maybe conservative the university is not very conservative but leans conservative after all "conservative university" is kind of a oxymoron.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:52 AM

428 posts, read 1,140,731 times
Quote:
They have a pride week, they have a Gay/Straight Alliance, they put on gay plays, they put gay flags in the lawn around the campus during pride week here in Milwaukee, they just extended benefits to gay partners at MU. The Jodie debate was not based on her sex preferences more about her character and her past. I also have gay friends and aids that work there and tell a different story, so based on all my facts I would say they are a gay friendly uni after all you're supposed to dislike the sin and not the sinner. While their paper maybe conservative the university is not very conservative but leans conservative after all "conservative university" is kind of a oxymoron.
Just because those exist does not mean they are popular or fully sanctioned by the university or that it is one big, gay party at MU. If you believe the O'Brien fiasco was not about her beliefs then I don't know what to tell you. Believe what you want in your own private Idaho. The world still exists.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:05 AM

4,981 posts, read 5,988,132 times
Quote:
The Jodie debate was not based on her sex preferences more about her character and her past.
Call it what you want. Character and past are damage control, nothing more. Essentially, Big Religion spoke, and Marquette responded.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:17 AM

4,981 posts, read 5,988,132 times
Quote:
That's not what this report says. The study was commissioned by Marquette, and performed in response to the negative publicity that shrouded Marquette after the O'Brien incident.

Marquette is offering DP benefits in 2012, if I'm not mistaken. Here is a brief quote from Marquette President Robert Wild pertaining to DP benefits.

"If we are truly pastoral in our application of the Jesuit principle of cura personalis, I asked myself if I could reconcile that with denying health benefits to a couple who have legally registered their commitment to each other," Wild said. In Latin, cura personalis means "care for the entire person."

Interestingly, this "pastoral application of the Jesuit principle of cura personalis" seems to have been newly discovered after not only the negative publicity resulting from the O'Brien disaster, but also after the above study was completed.

Not so sure that the above is illustrative of a pro gay environment.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:18 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,610,023 times
It sounds like you need to make the trip to Milwaukee again and try to get a better feel for the city. You just had a bad experience, but there are more nice areas than bad areas to be had and there is definantly something out there for you that will fit your needs. You may have to make some minor compromises though.

When reading and using these sites on the internet, you have to remember, ANYONE can post ANY anecdotal story, so you get people that may have a chip on their shoulder, ignorance, an axe to grind or just misinformation...so don't be scared off in that regard.

Go back for a visit when the weather is nice, and walk and drive around the areas that were suggested to you. You will feel a sense of relief and see more of what you are looking for. Don't get freaked out by some over dramatic posters.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:16 PM

833 posts, read 898,939 times
Quote:
While their paper maybe conservative the university is not very conservative but leans conservative after all "conservative university" is kind of a oxymoron.
Well, you can of course find all sorts of people at Marquette. During my time there I met many students (one of my very close friends turned out to be one of them unfortunately) who are super judgmental about different ways of life, not only about homosexuality and who definitely see many people as sinners, but also quite a few hippie kind of students. But I'd say on average it definitely is more conservative than other universities. Of course it is, since a university with a religious affiliation attracts more people of that kind than, say, UWM.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:30 PM

915 posts, read 1,151,673 times
the key thing is to know where the bad areas and know how to navigate around them. Also, being new to a city I wouldn't drive around at night until you know things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee