Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 08:05 AM

196 posts, read 473,645 times

Advertisements

It always seems as if us Milwaukeans are spared serious disastrous weather conditions. We receive flooding and blizzards every now and then but nothing like the south with all the Hurricanes and such, eh? (Not that I am in any way making light of our issues as a result of snow and the numbers of accidents we have every year because of slippery roads). I feel content in Milwaukee as far as weather for the most part. I mean, despite the 10 to 13 or so tornado warnings we have a year, nothing ever becomes of them. Throughout my life, tornado warnings have always meant acting a fool between my brother and I in the basement for an hour and a half while mom screams at us to be quiet so she can listen to the warnings while also complaining about my dad being upstairs and making light of the whole thing. It just seems as if tornadoes especially do a number on those states in the middle like Missouri, Nebraska, and Tennessee. Has Milwaukee ever even experienced a tornado and if so, have you ever been through them? I've heard some people say we've maybe had one or two in the last 20 years but that's it. If we have, I didn't see it and I've grew up in the milwaukee area my whole live: lived in the city itself and up until last year, I was living in New Berlin.

To be honest, I don't think we're even prepared for one. All those fancy-shmancy mcmansions over in New Berlin, Brookfield, etc., sure as hell aren't made for the possibilities of a tornado. They're not made of brick or stone, but rather just to look huge and ostentatious. My point is, as far as seriously disastrous weather goes, Milwaukee hasn't been very bad at all.

Last edited by AmericanHistory09; 05-25-2011 at 08:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 09:29 AM

4,361 posts, read 6,528,616 times
Back in 1984 there was an F4 in Waukesha County that killed one person. I don't recall any other serious tornados. That one pushed through southwestern Waukesha County and continued through to end right about the town of Pewaukee.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:30 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,857,209 times
Until recently, I've lived in mostly tornado-prone areas.
Building materials are pretty much the same everywhere. If anything, houses in Wisconsin are generally more well constructed than what I have seen elsewhere. There seems to be more pride in craftsmanship.
None of that matters though when an f4 or f5 move through. Virtually nothing can survive something like that.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:49 AM

15 posts, read 55,401 times
I think the fact that Milwaukee is situated on Lake Michigan has a lot to do with that. When the storms approach Milwaukee, the air over Lake Michigan interacts with it, often causes storms powerful enough to harbor a tornado to break up a bit, or alter their make-up.

You don't hear of many tornados in Chicago either. The large cities might have something to do with it, with all of their concrete structures and tall buildings.

I also believe that the Kettle Morraine area, which has some elevation changes, breaks up the storms a bit as well. But you're right, not a lot of tornados make it to Milwaukee, although there are plenty of them further west of here.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:39 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
March 8, 2000.

NWS Milwaukee/Sullivan, WI

Old 05-27-2011, 08:31 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,512,756 times
I remember reading about this survey a few years ago. Milwaukee was tied with Mesa, AZ as safest from natural disasters.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:55 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,131,637 times
I don't know about statistics, but every community ever destroyed by a tornado "never" expected it and it was always somewhere else until THEY got hit. So I wouldn't say MKE is safe from tornadoes just because we haven't had any anecdotal experience with them first hand, in the city limits.

I am sure, sooner or later, luck will run out and somewhere in the metropolitan area will be struck by a tornado. But think about it, in general, even cities in the heart of tornado ally don't usually get direct hits (Dallas, Kansas City, Omaha, etc). Some cities with direct hits were in non traditional areas, like Salt Lake City and Nashville.

My point is, they are more of a potential danger vs sometihng that ocurrs on a regular basis. Also, tornadoes are relativelty small and affect a small area, so the odds of it hitting any one area are slim.

With all that said, areas in Kenosha and Racine have been affected by tornadoes in the recent past and they are near the lake. I really don't think the lake will stop a tornado as it would turn into a waterspout...but obviously, the lake doesn affect the weather. Remember, for the synamics in the atmosphere to generate a powerful tornadic storm, a lot has to be going on upstairs, so if the lake is going to have an effect, it would probably ocurr after the storm or tornado moves over it, not before.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:15 PM

1 posts, read 17,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanHistory09 View Post
It always seems as if us Milwaukeans are spared serious disastrous weather conditions. We receive flooding and blizzards every now and then but nothing like the south with all the Hurricanes and such, eh? (Not that I am in any way making light of our issues as a result of snow and the numbers of accidents we have every year because of slippery roads). I feel content in Milwaukee as far as weather for the most part. I mean, despite the 10 to 13 or so tornado warnings we have a year, nothing ever becomes of them. Throughout my life, tornado warnings have always meant acting a fool between my brother and I in the basement for an hour and a half while mom screams at us to be quiet so she can listen to the warnings while also complaining about my dad being upstairs and making light of the whole thing. It just seems as if tornadoes especially do a number on those states in the middle like Missouri, Nebraska, and Tennessee. Has Milwaukee ever even experienced a tornado and if so, have you ever been through them? I've heard some people say we've maybe had one or two in the last 20 years but that's it. If we have, I didn't see it and I've grew up in the milwaukee area my whole live: lived in the city itself and up until last year, I was living in New Berlin.

To be honest, I don't think we're even prepared for one. All those fancy-shmancy mcmansions over in New Berlin, Brookfield, etc., sure as hell aren't made for the possibilities of a tornado. They're not made of brick or stone, but rather just to look huge and ostentatious. My point is, as far as seriously disastrous weather goes, Milwaukee hasn't been very bad at all.
While the actual storm known as a tornado is rare in Milwaukee, The delicious wraps know as the Tornado continue to be known as a Milwaukee tradition.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:22 PM

158 posts, read 660,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjrusso44 View Post
While the actual storm known as a tornado is rare in Milwaukee, The delicious wraps know as the Tornado continue to be known as a Milwaukee tradition.
Kwik Trip Tornado's for the win. Now that the weather discussion is settled, this is officially a roller-grill thread.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:05 PM

17 posts, read 48,309 times
I believe it was around 10 -15 years ago when the south side of Milwaukee/St. Francis area had a touchdown of a tornado. Not real bad as far as damage or injuries but it did occur. Other than that it is unheard of for a tornado to touchdown in or very near the city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee