Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 06:54 AM

483 posts, read 665,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by regularguy View Post
I would recommend Lindinhurst IL, it's about 20 minutes away. It's a predominately white neighborhood but my friend is black and lives there, it's close to Gurnee which houses six flags and a great mall and still close to Chicago and Milwuakee. Hope this helps
We temporarily lived in Kenosha for six months while house hunting in the southern WI-northern IL area about five years ago. Kenosha has Woodman's and a few shopping new developments on HWY 50. But that's about all it has going for it, unless you count the Outlet Mall, which is actually in Pleasant Prairie. Otherwise, Kenosha is just a place to pass through on the way to Milwaukee.

Coincidentally, we ended up buying a house in Lindenhurst, IL...which is only a few miles south of the border, and right next to Antioch. We live in a very safe, quiet neighborhood which is almost in the country but close enough to shopping. The local Millburn school system is rated one of the best.

If you don't mind high taxes (if you think Wisconsin taxes are bad, don't move to Illinois...aka Tax Hell) and traffic (particularly if you have to drive south to work) then this is not a bad place (unless you count all the Bear and Cub fans)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 04:48 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,563 times
Default I Disagree With 95% Of This Post

Oh boy, someone who is well versed @ knowing where the best places to live are located, at the age of 16! wow, just wow.
Nothing to do:
recplex-pleasant prairie
lake andrea
Village of Pleasant Prairie | Parks & Recreation | Prairie Springs Park & Lake Andrea

Tinsel Town
Cinemark - Movie Information, Showtimes and Tickets

Many public parks throughout Kenosha that are free for the using, bring doggie and bbq grille to.

Beautiful Lake Michigan Waterfront.

Bike Trails, Hiking-Walking trails.

Crime Rating of 21, meaning Kenosha is 21% safer than most U.S. Cities.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Fun is where you can find it in this multi-cultural city.

Kenosha's downtown area went out with the advent of shopping malls, k mart, walmart, target and the like, as most small towns experienced urban sprawl during the 80's, 90's and it is ongoing to this day in Kenosha.

If a person plans on purchasing a home in Kenosha, there are some very nice areas where homes a priced reasonably. Rentals are somewhat reasonable too, you have to look around to find a deal that suits you, much like a person would have to do in any city.

Kenosha is not that bad of a place to live, and I have seen worse areas to live and work in.

Quote:
I am 16 years of age, I have lived in Kenosha my entire life and I can honestly tell you that if your looking at the city of Kenosha (not the county) it is NOT what you are looking for. Granted, there are some preferable parts (whitecaps, horizons, pleasant prairie, and the lakeside area) but white caps will run you close to 200 Gs and horizons is most likely something similar, pleasant prairie ranges and the lakefront area is expensive. As for the commute kenosha is right about in the middle between Milwaukee and Chicago, there is a great train system running to Chicago and is a cheap way of traveling (this is coming from 1 parent being a school teacher and the other working at sears). Kenosha is a town of about 100,000 people and has a rich italian culture and we have a lot of good restaurants and a delightful italian grocery store and deli (Tenuta's). There is a drive in theater which is nifty, and an outlet mall. Although that's about the only good things about Kenosha. The largest current problem is the education reform is you have children starting school and you aren't willing to put out a few thousand a year at Armatige academy DO NOT COME TO KENOSHA or really anywhere in Wisconsin. In the coming year class sizes are expected to be between 30 and 35 kids. many teachers have been laid off and the new teachers are not as well trained. The downtown area is DEAD there are a few restaurants and a kid's toy store and a LOT of empty building and stores. A new gang has come into town in the past year and vandalism has gone up (luckily kenosha's police force is proactive as opposed to racine or waukegan who are reactive). People do get killed here as in any other city, robberies occur and the ghettos have gotten worse. Kenosha ghettos are small, but there are about 3 one in downtown and stretching towards the church of mt. carmel another by 60th street and close to McKinley school which just closed this year, and the final in the lincoln park area if you are considering buying a house stay away from the lincoln park area. Forest park is where I live and it's not bad but the largely hispanic ghetto by 60th is expanding and is starting to intrude into this area I expect my house to be in the ghetto within a hundred years. Crime isn't terrible but we do have the influence of the Milwaukee and Chicago gangs, not to mention we are roughly 30 minutes from rockford which made neighborhoodscout's list of 100 most dangerous cities in america. Finally Kenosha is INCREDIBLY boring we have no real mall or tourism and it has a large elderly population who are always complaining and ruining good things for example we used to have a decent parade which has dwindled and now due to complaints the firetrucks and police cars aren't even allowed to put their sirens on when they are in the parade. The kenosha news (the local newspaper) is useless it is biased and an awful source of info. I DO NOT recommend Kenosha WI, if your dead set on the are I would recommend Lindinhurst IL, it's about 20 minutes away. It's a predominately white neighborhood but my friend is black and lives there, it's close to Gurnee which houses six flags and a great mall and still close to Chicago and Milwuakee. Hope this helps

Last edited by Yac; 09-18-2012 at 07:00 AM..

Old 09-24-2012, 11:46 AM

707 posts, read 1,293,221 times
Quote:
I am 16 years of age, I have lived in Kenosha my entire life and I can honestly tell you that if your looking at the city of Kenosha (not the county) it is NOT what you are looking for. Granted, there are some preferable parts (whitecaps, horizons, pleasant prairie, and the lakeside area) but white caps will run you close to 200 Gs and horizons is most likely something similar, pleasant prairie ranges and the lakefront area is expensive. As for the commute kenosha is right about in the middle between Milwaukee and Chicago, there is a great train system running to Chicago and is a cheap way of traveling (this is coming from 1 parent being a school teacher and the other working at sears). Kenosha is a town of about 100,000 people and has a rich italian culture and we have a lot of good restaurants and a delightful italian grocery store and deli (Tenuta's). There is a drive in theater which is nifty, and an outlet mall. Although that's about the only good things about Kenosha. The largest current problem is the education reform is you have children starting school and you aren't willing to put out a few thousand a year at Armatige academy DO NOT COME TO KENOSHA or really anywhere in Wisconsin. In the coming year class sizes are expected to be between 30 and 35 kids. many teachers have been laid off and the new teachers are not as well trained. The downtown area is DEAD there are a few restaurants and a kid's toy store and a LOT of empty building and stores. A new gang has come into town in the past year and vandalism has gone up (luckily kenosha's police force is proactive as opposed to racine or waukegan who are reactive). People do get killed here as in any other city, robberies occur and the ghettos have gotten worse. Kenosha ghettos are small, but there are about 3 one in downtown and stretching towards the church of mt. carmel another by 60th street and close to McKinley school which just closed this year, and the final in the lincoln park area if you are considering buying a house stay away from the lincoln park area. Forest park is where I live and it's not bad but the largely hispanic ghetto by 60th is expanding and is starting to intrude into this area I expect my house to be in the ghetto within a hundred years. Crime isn't terrible but we do have the influence of the Milwaukee and Chicago gangs, not to mention we are roughly 30 minutes from rockford which made neighborhoodscout's list of 100 most dangerous cities in america. Finally Kenosha is INCREDIBLY boring we have no real mall or tourism and it has a large elderly population who are always complaining and ruining good things for example we used to have a decent parade which has dwindled and now due to complaints the firetrucks and police cars aren't even allowed to put their sirens on when they are in the parade. The kenosha news (the local newspaper) is useless it is biased and an awful source of info. I DO NOT recommend Kenosha WI, if your dead set on the are I would recommend Lindinhurst IL, it's about 20 minutes away. It's a predominately white neighborhood but my friend is black and lives there, it's close to Gurnee which houses six flags and a great mall and still close to Chicago and Milwuakee. Hope this helps
The 16 year old must have a private jet if he can get to Rockford in 30 minutes?

Old 09-25-2012, 02:04 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,563 times
Helicoptor

Old 04-27-2016, 12:35 PM

2 posts, read 1,704 times
It's funny to read posts; we have lived in Kenosha for over 30 years -- first on the west side of town in Forest Park Neighborhood and recently near the lakefront. We find it ideally located - almost exactly half way between Chicago and Milwaukee (although Milwaukee is about 50 minutes and Chicago 2 hours to drive due to traffic and road configuration). We found the schools excellent, downtown is being revitalized, and there are beaches and parks along the lake (at least 3 that I know of).

Yes, there is crime, primarily located in a few "bad" neighborhoods, but a good realtor can steer you to a safe neighborhood with caring neighbors who look out for each other.

Housing prices here are much lower than comparable properties in Illinois, and the taxes are favorable, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee