Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 11:13 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,989,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotbug View Post
I think that blew up a while ago.

I can tell ya a story about a 'journalist' sent there to cover it, but that has nothing to do with the topic.

"Is there any correlation between demographic and crime in the various areas of milwaukee? And if so, why?" would be.
What could I add to the demographic/crime question which hasn't been hashed over a million times before. I'll leave this to Deviation5000. He has a better grasp on this than I do.

Hotbug: Do you belong to a right wing advocate group? Your writing style and the manner in which you choose your topics and respond leads me to believe you are involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
How to fix Milwaukee's segregation problems....."you"(Government) cannot fix Milwaukee's segregation "problems". Only "we"(the people) can, anything else is social engineering and does not work.
Would Social Security for the elderly be considered social engineering? If so should "we" eliminate this and let millions of seniors fall into poverty.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:23 PM

8,275 posts, read 22,985,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
Would Social Security for the elderly be considered social engineering?
Nope.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:56 PM

280 posts, read 645,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
How to fix Milwaukee's segregation problems....."you"(Government) cannot fix Milwaukee's segregation "problems". Only "we"(the people) can, anything else is social engineering and does not work.
Who has ever suggested that we should enact policy as a means of curbing segregation? Besides, I'm not even sure what the government could do to directly combat segregation. Anything it could do... like say, learning to stop thumbing its nose at the younger, hipper, artier, more collegiate elements that have emerged in Milwaukee over the past decade (i.e. the types of demographics that are attractive to new businesses) thereby giving the local economy an actual chance... would only be tangentially related.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:29 PM

Alright Hotbug... you want to engage in a "serious," "adult" discussion about race? Here's your chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotbug View Post
I think that blew up a while ago.
"Is there any correlation between demographic and crime in the various areas of milwaukee? And if so, why?" would be.
Let's say for the sake of argument there is... what, if anything, do you think this would prove?

Old 07-31-2011, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by See228 View Post
Speaking of intellectual, have you been accosted in RiverWest or Harlem yet?; such fine, safe neighborhoods...
Boilerplate suburban ignorance. Do you really think you're the first person to make that lame... rooted entirely in stereotypes... joke? Oh, and for the record, I haven't had any crime-related problems in either... ever

Quote:
especially RiverWest of late!
In addition to having spent a good chunk of my adult years in Riverwest, I've been hanging out there since I was a teenager and can count the number of times something like that has happened one one hand... and I'd still be able to do that if I lost a couple of fingers. But you're in Menominee Falls and have profit-driven, sensationalizing TV news telling you what's up, so I suppose you'd know better than me.

Quote:
I'd look up the crime statistic from where you reign, but us Menomonee Falls troglatites dont know how to read.
Then maybe you could try looking up the teen suicide rates... 14 times higher in the suburbs last I checked. But these are such great places to raise a family, right?

Old 07-31-2011, 08:58 AM

448 posts, read 1,812,839 times
This just in and I don't think it has been reported yet - damn you, mainstream media. I spent all evening at Brady Street festival and there were hundreds and hundreds of black people mixing with the white crowd. Later as the evening progressed, tensions got higher and everyone had a good time dancing to the great music. End of story. Whew!

Happy to see a large amount of mixed race couples. Little known fact - the chess tables were populated largely by younger African Americans.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:29 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,122,014 times
Very polarizing topic mixed with some meaningful debate and definitely mixed in with some of Wisconsin's slowest people. The entire 94 corridor from Indiana to Wisconsin is well, pretty much the same when it comes to segregation and all three states have their fair share of dimwits who are willing to talk crap from behind a keyboard.

Everyone knows it's there, but why is it there in which there can be a myriad of reasons. My take is really 2 sided.

For the white population especially the older population, it is a mere fact of them feeling blacks are inferior and whether justified or not, they feel blacks are just a plague that needs to be eradicated, white is right and so on and so forth. The older population passes down those sentiments to the younger population and the cycle continues, albeit less and less with each generation.

For the black population, it is a sense of distrust, again starting with the older population, those who lived during Jim Crow, separate but equal, being denied the same opportunity as delegated by the U.S. Constitution. That denial pretty much made sure the black population was kept as an underclass. That resentment also gets passed down from generation to generation and like the former, becomes less and less with each generation.

Now one thing is clear, crime is not an issue of race, it's an issue of economic standing. The lower you are on the totem pole, the more likelihood for crime. Some examples, Gary is a crime plagued city with a high poverty rate, 84% black. Tiny Cairo, IL in the southern part of the state, just as high of a crime rate, with the same high poverty rate and over 90% white. The Tenderloin neighborhood in San Francisco, one of the highest areas of crime in the city and Asian and pick any handful of LA neighborhoods for Hispanic.

How do you overcome it, basically people are going to have to learn to go out on a limb. Now with the current generation you see mixed couples a lot of black male/white female but even more now you are seeing black female/white male so things are definitely changing. The blame game has to stop on both sides. It's not a black person's fault that you didn't get the job and it's not some white persons fault that you didn't get the job. For a white person, I would say, stop associating everything negative with blacks. Blacks are the only ones on welfare, in fact, blacks aren't even the majority of people on welfare, that would be white people. Stop thinking blacks are some huge Affirmative Action cash cow for companies being that white women have always been the biggest beneficiary of AA as it does encompass women AND minorities. For those black folk, there isn't a single white person alive today that owned a slave and very few whites actually did own slaves. Stop assuming that every white person was born with a silver spoon because they weren't. Yes there are some that were but most of them weren't.

Old 07-31-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John241 View Post
After reading your post Allan, you seem to view economics in a very "far left" type of way.
I have my own opinions. Feel free to respectfully respond. I would enjoy your take on my post.

Old 07-31-2011, 05:27 PM

34 posts, read 88,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
I have my own opinions. Feel free to respectfully respond. I would enjoy your take on my post.
Well my opinions are pretty opposite to your own. I think it would be more mature at this point of the thread to respectfully agree to disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee