Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 05:28 PM

6 posts, read 9,023 times

Advertisements

Most of the problems in MPS stem from the parents. The parents are sometimes very young, very immature, very entitled and have a hostile world view. This is exacerbated in the children, who grow up untrusting, unloved, unstructured, and never (I rarely use the word never - but I taught in MPS, and these kids are incredibly broken) with a chance to see any good role models, just parents/brothers/relatives on welfare, in-and-out of jail, disrespectful, and without manners.

I was shocked on my first day of teaching. The way the kids treated me was unheard of. Calling me nasty names, threatening me, not listening to anything I say. I was just trying to be nice above all else. Poor kids won't stand a chance in the real world trying to hold a job or even a conversation. I see why they turn to crime; No one would hire them, they have no skills, and they just do not know better.

MPS does have internal problems in administration. I will leave my personal opinions out of this one, other than saying that there is extreme incompetence in administration.

MPS teachers refer a kid for bad behavior - and the principal sends them right back to the class. Most students only get suspended for very serious behavior, such as fights with blood, and weapons. Not for bullying, cursing or threatening staff, or many other serious problems. Accountability is unheard of in the actions of students. Sadly, the students rarely learn that, and end up dead, in jail, drop out, or pregnant to start the cycle all over again.

I worked with extremely abusive students that told me they wanted to be Doctors (I had to tell them Dr. Dre really is not a doctor) or lawyers, or the president. Pretty lofty goals. Obviously unattainable by most students, even ones with good role models.

It is a sad situation, and until parents are somehow held accountable and start loving their children and making better parenting choices, it will only continue to be sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 08:28 PM

207 posts, read 698,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
The biggest problem I see for an outsiders viewpoint is that the school board and the leaders in Milwaukee haven't fixed this problem since it started and don't seem to be in a huge hurry to do anything which is a shame for the kids that are stuck in the bad MPS schools.
Just out of curiousity; which is the worst HS in Milwaukee? I thought'd it'd be Custer or SD
by the way; can you help me with my question of MPS?

Old 02-24-2016, 12:16 PM

1 posts, read 530 times
Teaching in the inner-city, my eyes were widely opened. A student who was falling asleep - why? Because his bedroom window was on the first floor of a drug house and "clients" stepped on him as they entered the house all night long. Two sisters who were consistently late for school despite many interventions. Principal and I went to home to find naked men laying all around living room and came to find out those two girls were probably who those men had come to see last night. Students whose electricity was turned off - no lights but also no stove, no refrigerator, no laundry. Ten year olds in charge of the younger siblings all night long or in charge of sickly grand parents, parents, etc... And you would think these are very specific occurrences, but I found that these were just who we found, and so many more to find.

Now tell me, how can a student focus when this is his or her life?

Old 02-27-2016, 03:03 AM

14 posts, read 13,006 times
Parents are the problem in MPS.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:47 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,431,162 times
The "problem" with MPS is that it's borders encapsulate large swaths of impoverished part of the city. Try teaching algebra to a kid who doesn't have anything to eat, doesn't have a permanent housing situation, and fears getting mugged/shot on his way in to school each day.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:46 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,280,423 times
All of the above. In addition to the chronic poverty, lack of jobs, bittersweet role of public assistance, rampant violence, dysfunctional family and social structures, ill-prepared and young/immature parents, chronically disruptive behavior in classrooms, huge class sizes (40+ kids in a class is not uncommon), poor funding or improperly channeled funding, poorly regarded and compensated teachers (for the kind of work they have to do and the crap they have to take), administrative corruption and stupidity in MPS, etc., don't forget that teachers have very little power and authority to discipline and control kids in their classes (the kids rule the roost). Additionally, there is very little accountability from the population at large: the problems of MPS/impoverished Milwaukee is largely seen as "their" problem or "the city's problem"--not the problem of everyone (including city elites and suburbanites) in the metro area. Everyone keeps looking the other way, but this problem belongs to everyone: the city, the county, the metro, the state, and beyond. Few people are owning up to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
View detailed profiles of: