Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 01:51 PM

173 posts, read 352,066 times

Advertisements

I just read 2 websites where users were saying that milwaukee public schools has problems.

What are the problems and issues with milwaukee public schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 08:32 PM

63 posts, read 204,142 times
Same as any other inner-city school system, I'd imagine—bad teacher:student ratio, lack of funding (especially now), numerous domestic issues, etc. That said, I know none of this for a fact; some inner-city schools, like those in Minneapolis or Seattle, really thrive.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:40 PM

8,275 posts, read 22,994,729 times
Let's take a look at MPS, spends the most per student in the whole state by a long shot and has the worst grades in the state and some of the worst in the nation. Mequon spends the lowest amount per student and has the best grades among the state. It's not funding, I actually don't think it's the teachers or the way they teach. When kids don't show up for school and when they do they rather start fights and then add in parents who don't well you get **** poor grades. If the students applied themselves and had teachers holding them accountable then MPS grades would be up. Plus who wants to teach in a school system where the teacher is afraid of getting stabbed. Not all MPS schools are bad but a lot are. Rufus King High school is among the best in the state again proving that money is not the issue here but the reasons I have mentioned above.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:06 PM

63 posts, read 204,142 times
Excellent post, Milwaukee City. Improved education entails a change in (youth) culture.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:04 PM

Like James T Harris says "It's the culture stupid"

‪Sunday Insight - Black Teen Mob Violence‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-15-2011, 07:08 PM

173 posts, read 352,066 times
what else?

Old 07-15-2011, 08:21 PM

The biggest problem I see for an outsiders viewpoint is that the school board and the leaders in Milwaukee haven't fixed this problem since it started and don't seem to be in a huge hurry to do anything which is a shame for the kids that are stuck in the bad MPS schools.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:26 PM

711 posts, read 1,681,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
The biggest problem I see for an outsiders viewpoint is that the school board and the leaders in Milwaukee haven't fixed this problem since it started and don't seem to be in a huge hurry to do anything which is a shame for the kids that are stuck in the bad MPS schools.
I believe a huge part of this is the lack of accountability. MPS is just too large to govern through a school board of a few people. Their tax bill is now larger than the city of Milwaukee.

I seriously believe breaking MPS into smaller districts would help.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:57 PM

280 posts, read 645,444 times
For all the badmouthing that goes on about MPS, I think main the problem is that most of the parents just plain don't give a s**t about their kids education. When you look at schools like Rufus King, Riverside and High School of the Arts, which all have admission requirements (and therefore, force parents to actually take an active role in their kids education) the MPS stereotypes all but disappear. It also doesn't help that politicians who have absolutely no background in education keep pushing for standardized testing which places disproportionate burdens on large, urban school districts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Let's take a look at MPS, spends the most per student in the whole state by a long shot and has the worst grades in the state and some of the worst in the nation. Mequon spends the lowest amount per student and has the best grades among the state.
Sources?

Old 07-19-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
For all the badmouthing that goes on about MPS, I think main the problem is that most of the parents just plain don't give a s**t about their kids education.
Spot on!

Quote:
When you look at schools like Rufus King, Riverside and High School of the Arts, which all have admission requirements (and therefore, force parents to actually take an active role in their kids education) the MPS stereotypes all but disappear.
Spot on Squared!

Quote:
It also doesn't help that politicians who have absolutely no background in education keep pushing for standardized testing which places disproportionate burdens on large, urban school districts.
Spot on....thrice! Who remember Standard Testing? most of us in class blew it off and didn't give a crap and just took the test to get it over with. Even the smarties and nerds in class.

Plus when you have 80% of the kids who don't give crap about school what do you expect to happen. Parenting is the key!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
View detailed profiles of: