Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 08:14 AM

341 posts, read 641,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwiw View Post
Its true and I admit it.

Every time I see a shady looking black guy I just walk faster and ignore him...It seems like everyone who is young and professional living in east side is the same way.

The sad thing is when I look at places to shop / eat / workout / or any social activity, I look up this image that I have stored on my computer.

All sizes | Race and ethnicity 2010: Milwaukee | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/walkingsf/5559895075/sizes/o/in/set-72157626354149574/ - broken link)

And then avoid anywhere blue, its pretty bad. In fact, most of my driving is done via the waterway and then up the freeway to get around "the hood".

I've never felt unsafe in all the other places i've lived in, had a couple of black friends including some "hood" people.

Maybe its just my imagination catching up to me! Anyone have a suggestion how to cure the paranoia?!
I don't think that Milwaukee made you a racist IMO you came in Milwaukee as a racist...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 05:57 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times
Default Excellent point and spot on

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumiwa View Post
I don't think that Milwaukee made you a racist IMO you came in Milwaukee as a racist...
This is precisely what I was thinking.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:17 PM

10 posts, read 38,121 times
Regarding "the hood":

It's not nearly as bad as you make it seem. I've driven thru it and while I wouldn't get out of my car and leave it running there, I wouldn't hesitate to stop for gas. I simply don't go drinking there or hang out there. I walk around frequently downtown and have had no problems. Situational awareness is your friend. If someone is eyeing you up, notice it and avoid the confrontation.

I don't plan on moving into "the hood", but I don't see it as a no-mans land where passing thru is dangerous.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:42 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,928,844 times
November 1st Wisconsins "conceal/carry" law will quell your fears...be they real or imagined.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:57 PM

166 posts, read 376,344 times
I am no milwaukee supporter but how did it make u more racist exactly LOL? Yeah a large portion of Milwaukee is shady but honestly I think the Latinos there tend to be far more dangerous and have a bigger chip on their shoulder. Yeah milwaukee is more "hood" than most cities but there are still nice areas to see if you are stuck there.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:06 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,109,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQpilot3 View Post
I am no milwaukee supporter but how did it make u more racist exactly LOL? Yeah a large portion of Milwaukee is shady but honestly I think the Latinos there tend to be far more dangerous and have a bigger chip on their shoulder. Yeah milwaukee is more "hood" than most cities but there are still nice areas to see if you are stuck there.
Wrong, Latinos aren't more dangerous here and they don't have a chip on their shoulder. Large portion of MKE is not shady. Milwaukee is not more hood than most cities.

PS: Nobody is stuck here, we allow our residents to move freely.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:28 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,792,455 times
Amazed! I recall growing up in MKE and always thought the only outlet to enjoy life would be college and ownership of a Business. I had dreams of moving away do to lack of diversity,culture,and development. After departing for college Florida(go Gators) and joinging the military I've realized I am apart of the problem. Everyone moves away from the problem oppose to tackling the issues. Unfortunately racism appears more nuisance than Shady ppl. Growing up between Harlem and MKE opened my third eye to the blanketed racial problem throughout our soceities.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:17 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,279,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nidex View Post
I'm white, I go anywhere in the city (often) without "avoiding areas". Never once had a problem. Even getting gas on 20th & Center in my Audi. :]
Second that. I did have two weird encounters, but nothing too bad that couldn't have happened elsewhere. All my friends are shocked when I tell them that I like to go for walks at night and even take the busses.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:41 AM

166 posts, read 376,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Wrong, Latinos aren't more dangerous here and they don't have a chip on their shoulder. Large portion of MKE is not shady. Milwaukee is not more hood than most cities.

PS: Nobody is stuck here, we allow our residents to move freely.
Milwaukee City first off I am not trying to bash your city. I happen to work in the suburbs of it and find much to appreciate about it. About the latinos I am just going off experience and found them to far more aggressive than the genre in Phoenix I know there is no offical way to prove this and I am not racist either I have plenty of friends of hispanic origin. I am sorry I find that a lot of the city is rundown but I also feel it has potential to right itself in that regard in the future. Nothing can ever be fixed if the issue isn't brought up. As far as being stuck goes well sure someone can get stuck for many reasons just not in the way you are putting it. Whether it be a bad mortgage, can't sell your home, or you can't advance in the job latter due to stagnation there could be many ways.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:30 AM

3 posts, read 5,552 times
Default Is this the 1940's?

Shady is as shady does. Racism starts at the dinner table and in the his-tory books we unfortunately read in school. Bigotry and prejudice is the perfect stew consisting of lack of education on other cultures and experiences peppered with a smackling of ignorance. Socioeconomics and education dictates where we go, where we live, how isolated our thinking is, and unfortunately our views of other people who don't look like us.

I am African American, educated, proud, strong, and moving to Milwaukee and living exactly where I want to (yes white folks we do that). I have friends of every race and background and do not confine myself in any way shape or form. Every big city has problems and unfortunately Black folks are carrying a boulder on their backs and asked why we can't run as fast. We all know the problems. So I won't throw gas on the fire. Use a little common sense. Okay to prove my point, check out low income areas around the country outside of urban areas with a low minority population. Surprise, surprise....Welcome to the 21st century folks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee