U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-27-2011, 05:30 AM

149 posts, read 141,197 times
It is interesting, I would have thought that it would have been a little more diverse. Not really a big issue with us eaither way, just more curious. Out here in Washington DC white is a minority. It is pretty evenly spread across the board but i bet if you saw my sons school which is a top notch Fairfax VA School, yooud be in culture shock. hes the only white kid in his class and my other son is one of two whites and 2 black kids in his class the rest are all Asian and Indian. It is a very different setting here. But when I grew up in Rochester MN as a kid it was predominantly white. I had a couple of black families (2) in the neighborhood and in my class that I was friends with and 1 indian family. I find this all very interesting.

However I do like the way Appleton sounds the more reading I do. Is there any minor league type of baseball up there? I know Milwaukee has a pro team. and what about yearly parades, festivals county fairs, rennisance, waterski shows etc? Anything going on like that?

How do you feel the schools districts up there as a whole are? We ahve obviously lived in several places and everytime we have sent our kids to teh TOP schools, but Obviously that is top in comparison to the state standards. I can see the differences between our Virginia school districts and say NC and TX and even MN by the standards, testing and extra clubs they offer.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 07:28 AM

286 posts, read 108,540 times
Please ignore my post then! Thanks bay2bay.

How do I delete or edit my post?

Old 10-27-2011, 09:41 PM

915 posts, read 1,084,049 times
Appleton is a nice town and rent is fairly cheap. Milwaukee is only about 90 miles away for a weekend getaway and Madison is about the same distance maybe a little further. There is Manitowoc 40 miles away with the lake Michigan shorline. I don't want to put down Greenbay but Appleton is a much nicer laid out town. But I found Green Bay to be friendly.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:04 PM

6,741 posts, read 11,135,732 times
This belongs in the WI forum not Milwaukee one.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:50 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,804,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
However I do like the way Appleton sounds the more reading I do. Is there any minor league type of baseball up there? I know Milwaukee has a pro team. and what about yearly parades, festivals county fairs, rennisance, waterski shows etc? Anything going on like that?

How do you feel the schools districts up there as a whole are? We ahve obviously lived in several places and everytime we have sent our kids to teh TOP schools, but Obviously that is top in comparison to the state standards. I can see the differences between our Virginia school districts and say NC and TX and even MN by the standards, testing and extra clubs they offer.

Appleton has the Timberrattlers baseball team, and it was a really neat little stadium by the highway...I assume they have kept it up. The Brewers stadium is covered in bad weather, so no concern about missing a game due to weather.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:19 PM

12 posts, read 18,281 times
I have lived in GB for 16 years. It is family friendly. As you'd expect, the Packers rule the culture. Still, you can find other events and activites to do. We have two symphonies. We have two colleges. The down town area is slowly being re-vitalized. Your housing budget will fit fine. With the economic slump, you'll find a nice place for 300k. Schools are good, especially in the burbs. I think GB is more diverse than Appleton.

As mentioned above, Milwaukee is a short drive- under two hours. I just returned today from a quick overnight visit. All your "metro" interests can easily be found there. Chicago is also an easy trip. We have taken the train and it is a fun get away.

I think you will enjoy the area, based on what you have written. You won't go wrong with either area. I'd suggest visiting both cities before making a decision. Maybe consider renting for awhile.
Good luck and welcome!

Old 10-29-2011, 05:49 PM

31 posts, read 119,842 times
Default Appleton

You will find plenty to like in Appleton. I have lived in NE Wisconsin twice, married a woman from there, and will be moving back soon once again. (I feel like The Godfather...)

As others have indicated, Appleton's downtown provides plenty of entertainment options, you will have no trouble finding a nice home in a terrific school district. People are very friendly, and yes-- life does revolve around the Packers, particularly when they are winning as they are now. The area as a whole is not terribly diverse, but more diverse then a lot of people assume. I think Green Bay is quite a bit more so than Appleton. Since your job is in Appleton, there's no reason to look outside of the city, or the Fox Cities itself.

While still a very nice area, I think it's taken more of a noticeable "hit" in the economy than Green Bay. Noticed a lot of empty storefronts near the Mall. Green Bay seems to (finally) be forging ahead with revitalizing downtown.
All in all, it is a good area. Coming from DC, you will immediately enjoy the cost of living. Very inexpensive to live in NE WI. No traffic either-- except on Packer Sundays.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:47 PM

32 posts, read 49,796 times
I've lived in GB and if I had a choice, especially if I worked in Appleton, I'd choose Appleton. More cosmopolitan than GB (sorry GB) and I really think crime is getting worse in Green Bay. JMHO. Love the Appleton DT, better shopping, better restaurants, younger people (I don't mean college kids, there are those, but I'm talking young families). I wouldn't want to commute from GB to Appleton either. Blizzards are not fun to drive 20-30 minutes in. If you end up in GB, I'd recommend De Pere or Ashwaubenon for schools.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:39 PM

149 posts, read 141,197 times
We are officially moving to appleton, my qot notified of her promotion today. Now we are on the clock to find a home so my real queation is this...... Where in appleton can we feel comfy buying a home that we wont want ti move out of in a few years? We want to find that hallmark movie tyoe neighborhood where our kida can grow up and be safe. We want a jice area where people talk to eachother and become friends. Does anyone have any specific neighborhood recommendations?

Old 11-15-2011, 07:27 PM

39 posts, read 48,975 times
I have a perfect area for you. Look in the area between East Edgewood Drive and East Evergreen Drive and along North Ballard Road and North French Road. Just in that area you have Appleton North High School, a Youth Sports Complex. You're about 10 minutes away from Fox River Mall (really a great mall) and Fox Cities Stadium. There's good schools in the area, I don't know how old your kids are but there's elementary, middle and obviously Appleton North High that I mentioned before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee