Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2011, 11:10 AM

1 posts, read 3,310 times

Advertisements

Hi, we were planning on moving to chilton in two and a half weeks. We are a multi-race family (black and white) but then we heard how racist WI is. Is this actually true and more importantly is it like that in Chilton? We are moving from CA but I grew up in MN and I never thought the north was at all racist but maybe things have changed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 07:52 PM

41 posts, read 69,250 times
I wouldn't think that Chilton would be a very racist area, but I can't help by wonder why/how you chose Chilton? I don't know percentages, but I would guess that Chilton has a very small black population. I think of lots of farms, trucks and tractors, etc when I think of Chilton. That said, I don't live there, have only been through it.

It is usually assumed that some of the smaller towns around here can be racist, but I live in a town smaller than Chilton that is very welcoming and friendly and would not at all judge a multi-racial family or any type of person for that matter. That said, there are MANY people that don't live here that still assume it is a small town, small minded, not welcoming to new people, etc type of town, but that is not at all true. Maybe you've heard it's racist from people that don't truely know??

Either way, I don't think you'll have a problem. Good luck with your move!

Old 11-03-2011, 09:13 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,791,994 times
Wisconsin possessed the "Issue" racism for decades sadly it is an issue throughout americas wonderful borders. I wish such a thought process carried a hefty repercussion.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:00 PM

745 posts, read 1,648,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
Wisconsin possessed the "Issue" racism for decades sadly it is an issue throughout americas wonderful borders. I wish such a thought process carried a hefty repercussion.
You want there to be Thought Police and Mind Control?

You must be delighted to know that all your phone conversations are monitored, and that your new TV likely has a built in camera to watch you and a tranceiver to hear you.
You will also be thrilled to know that there is technology in the works that will send thoughts/words directly to your brain, and also equipment that can scan your frequency to read your mind.

Welcome to the New World Order.

Oh, Martial Law goes with that...."Papers Please", or better still you will be chipped and they will just scan you.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:32 PM

374 posts, read 982,622 times
I think the problem is less pronounced in the smaller communities. You're probably looking more at a general suspicion of the outsider than racism. Now the larger metro areas of WI are heavily racist, particularly reverse racism. You'd be better off living in back-woods Georgia than Milwaukee.

Get ready for the attitude in general. I moved up about a year ago and it seems like no one likes each other up here. People are just not friendly. I actually got a look when I offered a "Good morning" to an older woman at the store this morning.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:49 PM

27,340 posts, read 27,393,359 times
I just found this 3 year old thread and for all I know by now y'all live out here in Chilton. Ive lived here for the last 3 years and its not the race issue that attracted me, it is a farming and industry type of town, as you know.
Im a regular at the convenience stores here, so a not sure which store it was that you may have had that bd experience at, but for the most part, its a pretty laid back town. I was kind of astonished at first, to see people can actually leave their cars unlocked, even windows down in parking lots, leave their cars running at the Kwik trip, never saw that before...especially coming from Calif, but everyone pretty much knows everyone, its pretty laid back.
For all I know, I probably work with you or someone is your family right now! Did you ever make that transition out to here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
View detailed profiles of: