U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-09-2007, 09:37 AM
 
30,398 posts, read 18,719,620 times
Reputation: 14864

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtown12 View Post
Its not an argument,just dealing with the facts.

Study Shows How Deeply Black Men Face Discrimination In Hiring

This is a factor in the high poverty situation in Milwaukee.
I've never hired a black person and I've only worked with one ever in my type of job. (Although I've worked with others that worked in other departments etc.)

Whoops, then again....I've NEVER ONCE had a black person apply for a job in the field I work in. Over half the applicants are minorities though and my department has more women and minorities than white guys.

These are good paying jobs that seem to be going to people that aren't your cookie cutter white guys....why are blacks missing out on these jobs?

Education.

I can't begin to tell you how many of my black friends at college have told me how good students (them) were looked down on as "sellouts" or called much worse. There is a strong "anti-education" undercurrent that causes a lot of bright kids to not pursue educational excellence....and don't give me the "can't afford college" thing. I've had dirt poor white friends get through school and they couldn't get any of the skin color scholarship help. My college roomate grew up on the west side of Chicago and he got through school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-09-2007, 12:31 PM
 
30,398 posts, read 18,719,620 times
Reputation: 14864
Edited to add that the quality of schooling also bears some responsibility for this....but that is a local issue so you get what you elect....so again, who is responsible for the schools but the community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2007, 02:24 PM
 
Location: Vermont
1,458 posts, read 2,590,072 times
Reputation: 722
Black men just aren't interested in getting an education. Get an A average in a Milwaukee public school (about as hard as getting a C in the suburbs) and
Marquette will throw you a free ride scholarship. They're either not smart enough or just not willing to try.No one to blame but themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2007, 03:31 PM
 
30,398 posts, read 18,719,620 times
Reputation: 14864
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Black men just aren't interested in getting an education. Get an A average in a Milwaukee public school (about as hard as getting a C in the suburbs) and
Marquette will throw you a free ride scholarship. They're either not smart enough or just not willing to try.No one to blame but themselves.
I don't agree with that statement.
Do you carry an umbrella outside because you are trying to make it rain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2007, 02:15 AM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
12,045 posts, read 10,869,186 times
Reputation: 14651
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Black men just aren't interested in getting an education. Get an A average in a Milwaukee public school (about as hard as getting a C in the suburbs) and
Marquette will throw you a free ride scholarship. They're either not smart enough or just not willing to try.No one to blame but themselves.
That's quite a generalization. Certainly you don't mean ALL black men. I'm going to assume that you mean there are not enough black men who are interested in high academic achievement to offset the negative effects of those who are not. It's probably fair to say there are more who are not interested in getting a good education than those who are. Let's talk about those who are high academic achievers.

White kids from the suburbs grow up sheltered. They have few if any obstacles in their path. They don't have to learn to respect or get to know the intricacies and perculiarities of other races with the exception of some asian and indians. More than likely their parents are together and BOTH gainfully employed for life. Their parents went to college as did their grandparents. These spoiled kids never go without. All the resources they need are at their disposal. Their parents can afford to buy them laptops, equipped with the latest technology and provide high speed internet. Their schools are well-equipped and well-funded. They are the priority and they know it! These brats never face any form of discrimination and just cruise through their existence, thinking that they hit a home run when in reality "they were born on third base." All their teachers look like them. All the books they read have pictures of people who look like them. They look at TV, and every program or ad is centered around people who look like them. They go to the grocery store, the mall, the doctor's office, and every magazine cover features somebody who looks like them. They cruise into Marquette, a place for them. Just after midnight on Saturday morning, after yet another Friday night drinking binge, you will find many of these girls doing such things as: vomiting on the dorm room wall, urinating in the alley, spitting, farting and belching loudly, fighting, yelling, screaming, cursing, crying, vandalizing, trashing the streets, stealing, and yes, sleeping with total strangers and each other. The guys are equally as bad. Many of these girls have been forbidden to associate with black men, but they frequently throw themselves at them in secrecy during floor parties while the lights are turned low and everybody is drunk. In the morning when they realize that they slept with a black man, they are deeply ashamed, bordering on mental disturbance. Their true nature? They get through college with the utmost of support in the most accomodating of environments. They're accustomed to studying and doing so in college is just an extension of what they did in high school. Life is easier for them, no worries. Later in life, you find the women in therapy because they can't cope and the men struggling through divorce and mid-life crisis.

Black people are a proud people. Dynamic, explosive, intense, talented, intellectual, self-abusing, enraged, exceptionally humorous and entertaining, compassionate, sensitive, supremely gifted athletically, insightful, perceptive, and exceptionally creative are some of the words and phrases I would use to characterize black people. If more would refocus, this society would be transformed. However, a black person who gains high academic achievement has to work harder than the white counterpart. It's likely that he or she comes from a broken home. This person watched his parents try to maintain their dignity even as doors closed for them due to racial discrimination by the multitude of ignorant whites who exist in the industry. It is infuritating to witness the injustice, especially when you see that it has broken down your parents or caused them discomfort. This doesn't create great hopes for your own future. Almost on faith you have to believe that achieving high academic achievement is going to reward you with the type of opportunities that escaped your parents. You don't have a laptop because your parents can't afford one and the only access you have to the internet is at school. You have to share the connection with 30 other students. Your school is not funded as well as the suburban schools, lending credence to the perception that you are not expected to succeed or go far despite your efforts. It is also more likely that you live in a community that is not safe and you continually live with distractions. Fewer of your classmates are going on to college. Some have lives so stressful and difficult that prison would be a better life. You must deal with people of all races, people who couldn't afford to move to the suburbs. If you overcome these obstacles or those like them and make it into Marquette, you are EXCEPTIONAL. However, the spoiled white kids treat you as though you don't deserve to be there. You are shunned at every turn and treated like an idiot. When required to work in groups, the white kids are condescending. You are isolated, yet proudly and with the greatest of determination, you push on. You have more resolve. When you graduate, you have traveled longer and your road has been harder. You realize that you are simply better. To graduate on the same day with those spoiled brats is internally liberating. If you chose the right major, one that is highly valued by society. It will also be financially and professionally rewarding as well.

So it is not as simple as you say. It is EASIER to get an A in the suburbs. Blacks who have been accepted into Marquette are given a free ride because they are EXCEPTIONAL, and don't you ever forget that. Every black person you see on Marquette's campus today is exceptional. Suffice it to say that admission into the university is only the BEGINNING of another round of problems for the black person! You have to dig deeper, understand the dynamics. Strive to become more sophisticated about such things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2007, 11:28 AM
 
30,398 posts, read 18,719,620 times
Reputation: 14864
Seems like you've experienced as much or more of a class issue as a race issue in a lot of ways at school.

You do understand why you aren't seeing poor white people that had to struggle in poverty in attendance at Marquette? Go to a state school and you won't see so many "spoiled white suburban kids" because that's where poor white kids go....they can't afford Marquette and unless they happen to have a serious sports ability they aren't getting ANY scholarship.

I agree with many of your points but your generalizations and making this fully into a black\white thing I don't completely agree with. My sister went to Washington University in St. Louis and you sound just like her comments about rich kids.

P.S. Thanks for the post, it was refreshingly well written and honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2007, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
48 posts, read 119,858 times
Reputation: 30
Is this part of the problem?

JS Online: City jobless rate is 2nd worst
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2007, 11:18 AM
 
27,028 posts, read 22,457,124 times
Reputation: 7587
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Black men just aren't interested in getting an education. Get an A average in a Milwaukee public school (about as hard as getting a C in the suburbs) and
Marquette will throw you a free ride scholarship. They're either not smart enough or just not willing to try.No one to blame but themselves.
Big fat lie. Are you saying "All Black Men"? You are dead wrong. My father(who went to school in the Milwaukee publlic school system), an Black man, work his arse off to get through high school, went to college(without a scholarship), and graduated with bachelor and master's degrees. I'm not saying that there aren't black men who aren't interested in an education(because I know a few who aren't), but your statement is a blanket statement and it is not factually correct(I am not saying "politically incorrect" but "factually incorrect"). I'm in college myself I know some black men who are interested in an education, so much so that I went to their college graduation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2007, 11:21 AM
 
Location: southern california
49,755 posts, read 46,858,501 times
Reputation: 40999
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam76 View Post
It is a sad, seemingly never ending cycle of poverty passed on from generation to generation. Even those who want to dig themselves out will find very little in the way of good paying jobs in the central city and lack of public transport to where the jobs are. Look at the featured person in the story you linked to, it is a grandmother raising five kids. Where are the parents? I'm sure this poor woman is doing everything she possibly can but the sad fact is there is a strong chance these kids will continue the cycle of poverty when they reach adulthood.

There is also a stunning lack of leadership among city and county elected officials, present and former. Michael McGee has the admiration of many and yet he uses his influence to shake down business owners and make outrageous statements to the media. Both McGee and Marvin Pratt seemed to do little besides cry racism. I'm not here to debate whether or not their accusations are true, but I think there is little doubt it serves no purpose other than to inflame and raise their own persona. The mayor should be featured on the back of a milk carton, Have You Seen This Person? Both Lee Holloway and Willie Hines are in positions of prominence and influence and yet what has really been accomplished? Gary George lived in his Grafton mansion while pretending to be a resident of his district before finally getting thrown out by the voters. Then there are the central city charity groups that claimed to help its residents while lining their own pockets before blowing up in scandal -- the SDC and OIC. Gwen Moore seems to be a smart and thoughtful person but there is little she can do on the federal level besides raise awareness. Maybe she should run for mayor?

I'm far from any social expert but I truly believe change has to come from within before any real improvement is made on the situation in the central city. I think if any change actually started to happen you would see taxpayers and charity groups more willing to participate and invest in the central city. Yes I do think that many, both businesses and individuals, have thrown up their hands and given up at a time when they are needed the most. Changing the perception of the central city and the people who live there can only come through strong and intelligent leadership.
good post. i can tell you got a good heart.
i am a social expert.
i did not however see in the post an invite to share my opinion so i wont.
i will just appreciate your article.
rep for you.
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2007, 11:27 AM
 
27,028 posts, read 22,457,124 times
Reputation: 7587
The best solution to lower the poverty rate: encourage education among everyone and bring more jobs to Milwaukee. Welfare isn't the best solution. I understand if one is disabled to the point of "can't work", but for those persons who are able-bodied(regardless of criminal record), those persons should work. What should happen is a temporary safety net and in the meantime, look for a job. Instead of keeping someone on welfare, give a person temporary assistance for a short time and have work appointed for that person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top