U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-17-2011, 02:04 PM

63 posts, read 58,005 times
@Chelito23. Fair enough. But I've seen people post some horrendus lies here because they are from Milwaukee and trying to make it look as good as possible. One guy actually posted that its rare to hear gunshots anymore on Milwaukees north and south side ghettos at night....... This is just flat out NOT TRUE and I dsont understand why someone would tell an out of towner something like that. Its false info and if the family who's thinking about moving to Milwaukee runs with that info...... Well now they have a house on 19th and Keefe cuz some local jerk who chooses to view Milwaukee thru rose colored glasses told him it was safe. That's what I was ranting against
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 04:01 PM

26,675 posts, read 21,836,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshinchrist View Post
I get real tired of Milwaukee natives giving out false info about how "safe" Milwaukee is when an out of towner comes here and asks a question about the city. Milwaukee is NOT a safe city overall and for people to continue to say that is just plain wrong. I am from Milwaukee. Plus I have traveled all over the country and been to a lot of major cities. I've also been in a lot of ghettos in these major cities. And lemme tell you something...... Milwaukees ghettos are EVERY BIT as violent as the ghettos in New York City , Dallas , St Louis , Denver , and even Chicago. This is just the truth and is true no matter what some people want to believe about our city. The only thing that's worse about these other cities is that they have more ghettos. But our ghettos are just as crazy at night. I have yet to see a neighborhood anywhere in America that I would consider much worse that say 28th and Burleigh.

So please people , stop lying. Especially you people that say certain neighborhoods in Milwaukee are safe that are actually dangerous. I seen one guy post that Sherman Park is a safe neighborhood! Are you joking? Sherman Park is Sherman and North area , and that is not safe at all at night. I suggest to any out of towners that if someone tells you a neighborhood is safe in Milwaukee , go to spotcrime.com and find Milwaukee neighborhoods and then click on the neighborhood that someone said was safe. You might be surprised how unsafe it actually is. So with that....I'm gonna tell outta towners the truth about Milwaukee........

Pretty much the entire north side is bad. There are neighborhoods that aren't as bad as others , but are still bad. Anywhere on the north side is a place to be careful at night. Same with the upper south side starting at national ave and on down to about oklahoma ave. Once you're on oklahoma ave or south however , it switches from a very bad area to a very good area. After that , the rest of the south side is fine.

The far west side is good too , but it can be boring cuz a lot of retired people live over there ( by like 88th and lisbon and all that ). Now , the good news is ALL Milwaukees suburbs are safe. There isn't a dangerous area in the burbs at all , unless you consider Racine a burb. But every burb is safe , and there arew plenty of affordable burbs to live in.........

Also downtown is safe. Matter of fact , we might have the safest downtown of any major city in America. The cops patrol downtown well. And the gangs stay away. The east side is also safe but its really small.

Now..... As far as sending your kids to school in Milwaukee , if your kids are not black , you are going to want to send them to a school on the south or west sides or in a suburb. If you send a non black student to a school on the north side , he will be beat up by the black kids on nearly a daily basis. And this will continue til you get him out of that school. I aint racist I'm just telling the truth. And many many people can testify to that.

Anyway I thought it was time that someone told the truth about Milwaukee. I get so tired of hearing Milwaukee is one of the safer major cities when it isn't. There are good spots and good people , but just don't lie to people. Sherman Park is safe.....what a joke?!
Nothing to add about the crime because my father is from Milwaukee and has let me know Milwaukee can be rough in some places. That said, if a non-Black kid will get beat up by Black kids in the schools, then what does this mean for Black kids? Wouldn't they also get beat up? If my father had raised me in his neighborhood, I would have been beaten up alot.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:15 AM

4,989 posts, read 3,058,266 times
Just saw a story about how the city was considering putting police on all the buses due to black youths violently acting out continually. At some point a segment of the population has to be held accountable.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:59 AM

652 posts, read 809,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Just saw a story about how the city was considering putting police on all the buses due to black youths violently acting out continually. At some point a segment of the population has to be held accountable.
It wasn't putting city police on all the buses, it was having the city police make regular patrols of the buses.

Currently the Milwaukee COUNTY Transit System is patrolled by the County Sheriff & rent-a-cops they hire, although I've never seen a sheriff on a bus & I've seen the rent-a-cops exactly twice ever. I've been a frequent bus rider for more than 10 years on multiple routes, going through Downtown, near south side, & the northwest side.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Why not just arrest and imprison the perpetrators the same you would do criminals of any race?

Old 12-22-2011, 10:08 PM

915 posts, read 1,151,673 times
Just to be on the safe side consider that there is no area that is really safe in the city. Yes, there may be a few safe spots here and there but trouble can happen anywhere.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:29 AM

8 posts, read 10,164 times
If you stab yourself 20 times, somehow recover, and then the next time, only stab yourself only 15 times... is the 15 really that much better??

Creepy analogy, I know, but when discussing how safe one city's ghetto is to another, does it really matter all to much? I wouldn't want to wind up in the bad side of any big city's town.

Been to Milwaukee a few times this year. Back in May, we were driving around what I think was the northeast side of town. Not by choice but my buddy who was driving just didn't bother to listen to my directions.

About a month ago, while driving back from Green Bay, my same buddy, who once again did not listen to me when getting off the main highway, went west instead of east towards the city. I have no idea where exactly we were, but I remember driving past Brother's Foods...

Old 12-23-2011, 08:00 AM

652 posts, read 809,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
Just to be on the safe side consider that there is no area that is really safe in the city. Yes, there may be a few safe spots here and there but trouble can happen anywhere.
As everyone knows, there is no crime outside the city. Cue panic.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
Not even outside the city can guarantee safety. I learned this yesterday when I kept getting harrassed yesterday. I'm way out in the sticks with my family and I don't feel safe walking down the road(which is only two lanes and in the woods) to get to the store.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:20 PM

232 posts, read 381,698 times
If it helps to know...it appears that a lot of two-time felons from Milwaukee are coming to Superior, WI...as far north and west as you can get in Wisconsin (across from Duluth, MN)...I'm guessing the conditions of their parole are to be living within the state of Wisconsin, but reading the newspaper in Superior..almost every other day...drug deal/local girl getting beat up by the guy mooching off her/fights, prostitution, all with a former address in Milwaukee. I think, in the past, felons would have hated living in Superior because, well obviously, they'd stick out like a sore thumb and the cops would be on them every second, but now it doesn't seem to be a problem since there are so many who hop on the bus in Milwaukee and 395 miles later they arrive in Superior with a new life, a new, stupid blonde girl that will believe anyone so long as he claims to 'be goin' to bible study, miss' (bullcrap); sigh.

But many people swear they're coming to Superior because of the generous social services and food stamp programs that are not as readily available in Milwaukee. There is no waiting list for housing. And since many are felons, they just move in with someone. Then they invite 7-8 people up, and the cycle repeats itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee