U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-21-2012, 01:18 PM

2 posts, read 1,698 times
Default Neighborhood Opinion

Around 91st an Fond Du Lac Ave on the Northwest side of milwaukee. Is this a nice area or not so much. Looking at a place around there. any help appreciated. It looks to be the Maple Tree neighborhood area.

Last edited by AnAverageJoey; 01-21-2012 at 01:44 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 02:41 PM

6,774 posts, read 11,489,793 times
I would look into another neighborhood in the northwest side, it's mainly apartment buildings or rented out houses. However if you are moving onto a block with mainly family owned homes you might be alright. It's nowhere near the worst part of the city and I travel through that are quite a bit but there are better areas of the far northwest side such as Little Menomonee Parkway which is the area just south of Mill.RD you wouldn't think just being across a street would make that much of a difference but it can in certain areas. Menomonee River Hills is another nice area of the northwest side. Look into Pheasant Run and Riverton Heights which is the area of N.102nd & Bradley Rd.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:45 PM

4,886 posts, read 5,750,905 times
... I'm going to go with "not so much".

I agree with Milwaukee City about the area, the single/multi-family thing, and that there are good and bad areas in a short distance. The Northwest Side is patchy. I used to work next to MWC (Lawrence J. Timmerman Airport) at 91st and Appleton. Because there are a lot of natural and man made barriers that split the area (rivers, multiple highways, an airport, railroad tracks, etc.), a half a mile makes a huge difference out there. One area is a run down dump with dormitories for the leisure class, while only a mile away, is a nice neighborhood with clean, well kept, single family homes.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
... I'm going to go with "not so much".

I agree with Milwaukee City about the area, the single/multi-family thing, and that there are good and bad areas in a short distance. The Northwest Side is patchy. I used to work next to MWC (Lawrence J. Timmerman Airport) at 91st and Appleton. Because there are a lot of natural and man made barriers that split the area (rivers, multiple highways, an airport, railroad tracks, etc.), a half a mile makes a huge difference out there. One area is a run down dump with dormitories for the leisure class, while only a mile away, is a nice neighborhood with clean, well kept, single family homes.
Exactly, for an example you have Heritage Heights(milwaukee - Google Maps) where homes run about $330,000-450,000.

Then you have a another great area milwaukee - Google Maps and houses around 117th & Heather.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:43 PM

4,886 posts, read 5,750,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Exactly, for an example you have Heritage Heights(milwaukee - Google Maps) where homes run about $330,000-450,000.

Then you have a another great area milwaukee - Google Maps and houses around 117th & Heather.
Good examples. I really like some of the neighborhoods up there. It's easy to paint with a broad brush in a negative light, when talking about the Northwest Side, as much of it is not that good. However, when speaking to individual neighborhoods, there are quite a few nice ones.

Anyway I couldn't rep you as I guess I need to spread some around, but I'll come back to your post when I'm able.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Good examples. I really like some of the neighborhoods up there. It's easy to paint with a broad brush in a negative light, when talking about the Northwest Side, as much of it is not that good. However, when speaking to individual neighborhoods, there are quite a few nice ones.

Anyway I couldn't rep you as I guess I need to spread some around, but I'll come back to your post when I'm able.
I gotcha +1, Also Park Knoll is another good area kinda separated from the rest of the city by Hwy 45. Now at Good Hope & Beau Ave and Casie Ave they are building a bunch of new big homes where it just used to be a field. Here is just one of the newly built homes for sale. 7345 N Beau Ave Milwaukee, WI | First Weber Group Wisconsin Real Estate (http://www.firstweber.com/homes/1235451_METRO-7345_N_Beau_Ave-Milwaukee-WI-53202 - broken link)

Old 01-23-2012, 08:10 AM

2 posts, read 1,698 times
Its just around the corner of Little Menomonee Prkwy and Fond Du Lac ave in what appears to be the maple tree nehigborhood. Its a condo and looks to be surrounded by other condo areas.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:28 AM

651 posts, read 784,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAverageJoey View Post
Its just around the corner of Little Menomonee Prkwy and Fond Du Lac ave in what appears to be the maple tree nehigborhood. Its a condo and looks to be surrounded by other condo areas.
Personally, I wouldn't live in that immediate area if I had a choice, especially with children. I don't think there is long-term value to that neighborhood, if you're buying. If you'll be renting a condo, I would only consider south of Mill bordering the Park. The neighborhood north of Mill is pretty sketchy.

I'm basing this on knowing a couple families that lived closer to 107th, just south of Mill. Also, I drive through the area relatively often & have called the police because of seeing fights in the middle of street, north of Mill. Just seeing the news of shootings in that area, especially along FDL. The neighborhood north of Mill has a nickname as the 'wild, wild 100s'... it's not as bad as the name suggests, but as I said... it's not a location of choice.

Good luck on finding a place, I would look closer to Silver Spring between FDL to 90th. That is probably a similiar price range but a much more stable area. Also, north of Silver Spring from 70-75th is pretty stable too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee