U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2012, 01:08 PM

458 posts, read 949,725 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are recent graduates of MSOE (2011 grads) and have been living in Oak Creek for almost a year now. My GF will be making a job change soon and we will be moving north again once our lease is up in May. Our current top choices are (in no particular order):

-East Side
-Brewer's Hill
-Tosa
-Whitefish Bay
-Shorewood

We have two dogs and would really prefer to rent a single family home or a duplex with a yard. Oak Creek is pretty boring and we're looking for something a bit more urban. We like the idea of being close to downtown but we also are not interested in living in an apartment building.

I'm pretty interested in hearing how Brewer's Hill is. I know it's near the "sketchy" areas but we're not too concerned about that. There seems to be a lot of nice duplexes in that area. Being within walking distance to Brady and Water is a perk.

East Side would be great but it's fairly high priced and we're not really interested in living in any of the newer high-rises out there. Most of them are not pet friendly anyway. I know there are some duplex rentals near the Lake Drive area however.

Shorewood and WFB seem fairly similar with WFB being a little more "suburbany" than Shorewood. But both are short driving distances to downtown.

I don't know a lot about living in Tosa other than it has the Mayfair Mall. There's a lot of rental houses in Tosa though. I just have no idea what the neighborhoods are like.

So where do you guys think a couple in their mid 20's would be best off living?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 10:22 PM

470 posts, read 972,726 times
You didn't mention where you and your girl will be commuting to. That would have an effect on my recommendations.

However, out of those, I'd choose Brewer's Hill. Most of the crime is to the north of there, and west of the expressway. I have friends there, and have been out late at night there many, many times. Never once had an issue. Not to mention if you drive down Garfield from 4th to 6th or so, and the surrounding blocks, you will see plenty of homes that look like something straight out of suburbia. Always kind of looked out of place to me, but still nice regardless.

With the Holton bridge, you can walk down from Grover (or is it Glover?) Street, and that puts you pretty close to Water... well, across the river. Still a little bit of a hike. Brady would be easily accessible.

I've done the east side (Brady & Prospect), and although I'm a 25 year old male myself, I've never found the area appealing. Too many stupid drunks and "bros" making noise at all hours of the night. Although it is safe.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:30 PM

7,607 posts, read 18,692,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer_Guy View Post
We have two dogs and would really prefer to rent a single family home or a duplex with a yard.
Here is a nice one:

532 E Glover Ave 532a, Milwaukee | Shorewest Realtors

Old 03-27-2012, 08:31 AM

458 posts, read 949,725 times
Thanks for the replies. Looks like we're going to end up renting a house in Glendale that is just south of Bayshore near Estabrook Park. Looks like a nice quiet neighborhood and we'll be very close to shopping at Bayshore and a short drive to Downtown. Rental pricing in this area is also very reasonable plus we have a small yard and a two car garage. A combination that seems hard to find in the north shore suburbs on a rental. Overall we're very happy with what we found. We're a lot closer to entertainment than we were in Oak Creek but we still have a quiet house to come home to.

I just wanted to share some of my observations from our rental search over the past few weeks for anyone who might be interested.

Shorewood: We looked mostly in and near the Murray Hill area which seemed to be a popular housing area for UWM students. The one single family home we found only had one spot for parking so we decided against that. Everything else we looked at were duplexes. We really weren't interested in sharing a duplex with college students so we opted to look elsewhere. Most of them resembled the older apartments we lived in downtown when we went to school. Overall the area was nice but a little confined.

Brewer's Hill: Nice area that seems to be moving upwards. Very convenient location. Many of the rental houses in this area were out of our price range however. Like Shorewood there were a lot of duplexes in this area. The one house that was in our price range was completely against pets and would not budge on the matter so we had to look elsewhere. There are some nice condos in the area but we weren't looking to do that.

Whitefish Bay: There were lots of houses for sale in WFB but very few for rent. The houses we looked at in WFB just weren't a good match. I'd highly consider looking at this area when purchasing a home however. The rental we found in Glendale is very close to WFB and the neighborhood has the same feel as WFB.

Glendale: We originally had not considered Glendale but were pleasantly surprised by what we found. There were more single family homes for rent in the area than any of the other areas I looked. This might have to do with the current state of the economy. Most of the neighborhoods we looked at were near Bayshore and shared most the characteristics of Whitefish Bay with a little more reasonable pricing. Many of the residential areas do not have sidewalks which may or may not be a problem for some. We didn't venture very far north or west though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or