Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2012, 07:57 PM

5 posts, read 7,245 times

Advertisements

We are a married couple in our forties (plus one yellow lab) and are looking into relocating to Milwaukee. We both work from home and want easy access to amenities like art classes (not for credit), library etc and cultural events: no suburbs, please!

To start out, we would prefer to rent a 3 bedroom place, apartment or maybe townhouse (would like to stay under $ 1500,-) and I might also need a studio space -think paint and power tools.

I have found two off-leash dog parks, but is there a stretch of beach dedicated to dogs?

We are very familiar with ORD and SFO, have lived in PHX for several years and need to get away from South Texas…..hoping for more of a four season climate…….Any tips about what to keep in mind or clarification of local specifics (parking? grocery shopping downtown?) will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 11:25 AM

5 posts, read 7,245 times
Thanks for your input. We will be on location in May and will check it out.
The areas Brewer's Hill, Yankee Hill, Juneautown, Historic Third Ward, Clark Square and Walker's Point look like they would make for a lively, urban city center.......are these places likely to have apartments or is it all zoned for business?
Also, how hard is it to find rentals in Milwaukee with a large dog in tow?

Old 03-20-2012, 12:12 PM

34 posts, read 99,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4seasons4ever View Post
Thanks for your input. We will be on location in May and will check it out.
The areas Brewer's Hill, Yankee Hill, Juneautown, Historic Third Ward, Clark Square and Walker's Point look like they would make for a lively, urban city center.......are these places likely to have apartments or is it all zoned for business?
Also, how hard is it to find rentals in Milwaukee with a large dog in tow?
Yankee Hill and Brewer's Hill have a ton of residential, you should also look at the lower eastside, These 3 area's are where most of Milwaukee's creative types live. The Third Ward looks like it has a ton of Condos but very little rental home/townhouses. STAY AWAY from Clarke Square(super ghetto), Walker's point is kind of on the ghetto side. Juneautown is in the middle of downtown not sure if there would be rental homes around there I haven't seen any. If you don't mind college kids around during the weekends you should also look at the upper eastside which also has a ton of rental units. As for Dogs i'm sure you can find many places who will take them if not you can always bargain with the landlord, unless it's an apartment complex.
Bayview is also a good option but definitely not as young/lively as the Lower Eastside/yankee/brewer's/Upper eastside. But I would definitely go with the East side if i were you, as far as parking there is no free street parking anywhere.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:16 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,592,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4seasons4ever View Post
We are a married couple in our forties (plus one yellow lab) and are looking into relocating to Milwaukee. We both work from home and want easy access to amenities like art classes (not for credit), library etc and cultural events: no suburbs, please!

To start out, we would prefer to rent a 3 bedroom place, apartment or maybe townhouse (would like to stay under $ 1500,-) and I might also need a studio space -think paint and power tools.

I have found two off-leash dog parks, but is there a stretch of beach dedicated to dogs?

We are very familiar with ORD and SFO, have lived in PHX for several years and need to get away from South Texas…..hoping for more of a four season climate…….Any tips about what to keep in mind or clarification of local specifics (parking? grocery shopping downtown?) will be appreciated.
Where did you live in Chicago and Phoenix? I've lived in both places and if you explain what you enjoyed about each neighborhood (or didn't like) then you might get some pretty good answers here. Others on this forum have lived in other places and can help out if you explain what you're looking for.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:00 AM

458 posts, read 1,240,965 times
My biggest concern is your price range. You want to stay under $1500/mo but you want a 3 bedroom unit. The Third Ward is pretty much out of the question for you if you want to go beyond a one bedroom condo. Some of the one bedroom condos in the Third Ward get close to $1500/mo when you add in the cost of parking. Some of the bigger apartment complexes downtown (Juneau Village Towers, Yankee Hill, etc.) will run you over $1500/mo for a 2 bedroom not including parking.

Downtown you can find a lot of old apartment buildings that may have what you're looking for. However these will be very old buildings with very few amenities. Many do not even have parking options. You might want to search Craigslist or just take a drive downtown and look around. You also might be able to find a duplex in Brewer's Hill that has what you are looking for. You may end up sharing it with college students however. There are also a lot of duplexes near Brady Street you might consider.

By the way, if you don't mind the drive, the Runway Dog Park near Oak Creek is fantastic. The best dog park I've ever been to. It's well over 20 acres of fenced in area and is very well kept. I highly recommend checking it out.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:57 PM

4 posts, read 20,058 times
Are you looking to rent a home or a flat/apartment? Duplex? Single family? Condo or townhome in a downtown building? Funky/historic home w/charm or super modern? Lively nightlife or quiet streets? Car w/driveway or public transportation? What do you need in a home (backyard space for welding? sunny attic for painting? a lawn? none?)? Near a university... or far, far away? Hipsters or families? Yes, please tell us where you lived and the type of neighborhood you want... some of your requirements seem to be at odds w/an apartment or townhouse and 3br. Just by your original post, I'd recommend renting a house in Bay View. (vs. near the students on the East Side or in Riverwest) Plenty of space for power tools, funky creative types abound, and it's right on the lake. (and not that far from Runway... best dog park ever)

Old 04-02-2012, 10:09 AM

483 posts, read 1,214,838 times
Lol @ calling Chicago "ORD". That's funny. For a second I was wondering if you were only familiar with the airports you listed, or the actual cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee