U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-29-2012, 10:04 AM

5,625 posts, read 2,056,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
I don't know. Milwaukee is just very different in that respect than any place I've lived before. Most of the streets, especially the main thoroughfares, have these wide parking-lane things that aren't even marked as anything half the time. People do whatever they want with them.
In any other place I've lived in or been to, at least that I can remember, if they expect you to get over to the right onto the shoulder or parking lane or whatever strip of pavement that's there, they clearly mark it as such with arrows and lines.... it's very obvious in other words. Here, it's not obvious at all most of the time.
I like Wisconsin. I'm not trying to insult it over this.
It's just that every time I get in the car and go anywhere, I have to pay very close attention to every move I make. I'm having to change my most basic driving habits over stuff like this. There are other issues concerning operating a car, but that would take too much time and really isn't worth the trouble. I'm outnumbered as long as I live here so it's me that has to change.
Having lived in 6 other states, and visited numerous others, I must say that living here is the most uncomfortable I've been behind the wheel of a car.
I agree. It took some getting used to when we first moved here. Someone else said you had turned from the middle lane and you should turn from the rightmost lane...but if there are no markings or lines, it's really not technically a lane! So IMO you were correct. I have had people fly by and pass on that side in an intersection, including cops, but hello, what if someone was turning right, either at the intersection or shortly after it? I personally do move to that "lane" when turning but that's just me.

As to the OP, we got a ticket like the second night we lived in Shorewood (so still our first week in Wisconsin, we spent the first three nights in a hotel) b/c my husband parked his truck on the street on a Sunday night. The posted signs on our street only said something about parking during winter months. But apparently as you enter Shorewood, there are signs saying no parking on the street from 2am to 6am, which is pretty typical of all of this area for whatever reason. (As an aside...do people not have parties? What about houseguests? Lame.) I just went to the judge and told him we had no idea, we just moved to the state, the sign on our street did not say that, and he let it go. He let pretty much everyone else go, they have traffic court once a month there (Glendale has monthly traffic court also, FYI) and he only "convicted" a couple of people in a roomful. It was there that I learned you cannot park within 15 feet of a crosswalk OR WHAT COULD BE A PEDESTRIAN CROSSING so even if it's not marked, if a pedestrian could potentially cross there, don't park there. Another sort of lame, subjective law.

One of the first things I was told when we moved is that you can't do a u-turn at a light, which again is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard as that is the safest place to do it. I looked that up and it was recently changed, like within the last couple of years, and many people don't know that yet so they still get all freaked out when they see me do it. LOL

Basically, just mind your Ps and Qs as best as possible and if you get a ticket, you can always claim ignorance, at least if you're in one of the 'burbs. I wouldn't park in front of a hydrant, ever, though, that is a safety issue. I don't know about how far from the curb you're supposed to be, seems to me if you're blocking normal traffic flow, that is ticketable but nobody should be whipping out a measuring tape (as MilwaukeeCity mentioned). This state is nuts on so many levels and I have no qualms about saying that.

Oh, and supposedly it's legal to pass on the right, if you did that in Florida you would get ticketed big time.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 10:16 PM

3,329 posts, read 4,802,880 times
^^THANK YOU!!! I knew I wasn't crazy!
Yeah, passing on the right is a total no-no in every other place I've ever seen. Here, they have passing-on-the-right lanes instead of left-turn lanes a lot of times, especially outside of town.
That's just weird.
It validates passing on the right on city streets which seems like one of the most hideously dangerous things a driver can do. So much can (and frequently does) go wrong.
I am still trying to get used to going over to the shoulder just to make my right turns so I don't cause any trouble with the locals. I absolutely hate doing it, and after a year of doing it, it still feels odd. Oh well. It makes those trips to Illinois more enjoyable, so then I can drive more like I'm used to even if it's just for a day.

It's quite comical when more than one person is trying to make a left turn onto a busy street (like south 27th, for example) and 3-4 cars squeeze into that little break in the median all blocking each other's view and making it nearly impossible for people who are trying to make a left off of said busy street. Nice.

Then there are the local freeways. If you were to strictly follow the lines on the merging lane, you abruptly dump yourself into traffic with no time to merge. They have no dotted lines for whatever reason.

And yes, Wisconsin is the only place I have ever received a parking ticket in my life. Way to go, WI. You got me. Even in the dinky little 'burbs with no traffic, they really take that stuff seriously. Never mind that it isn't clearly advertised in a lot of cases.

I don't like beating up on Wisconsin this much, I promise. It really is great in most ways.

Last edited by northbound74; 03-29-2012 at 10:34 PM..

Old 03-30-2012, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
It validates passing on the right on city streets which seems like one of the most hideously dangerous things a driver can do. So much can (and frequently does) go wrong.
Yep. Everywhere else, if there are two people coming from opposite directions waiting to turn left at an intersection, they can both turn b/c they are out of each other's way, then the traffic behind them going straight can go and traffic stays flowing. But here, you really can't do that in many cases b/c the people wanting to go straight just go around, and you can't necessarily see past the guy waiting to turn so if you go, you risk getting hit. And there are not enough left arrows here even at busy intersections (one that comes to mind is Appleton and Capitol), not to mention a lot of no u-turn areas (think Port Washington Rd in Glendale) so it's like you're screwed if God forbid you need to turn left.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:18 AM

2,324 posts, read 1,704,698 times
I pass on the right if someone's going the speed limit or less in the left. Get used to the fact people go 5 over and accept it, don't try to throw your belief system on everyone else. Around here the farmer types frequently go 5 under and it's frustrating. Keep in mind I've never gotten a ticket in my life... 2 warnings. I'm a smart speeder, and not a reckless one. 5 over my max in town, 10 over is my in the middle of nowhere with some exceptions. On the other hand when I travel to eastern WI I frequently see people doing 15 over on certain roads like it's normal. But when you put the speed limit at 25 when it should be at 35, or 45 when it should be 55, that's going to happen depending on the road and situation.

With that said, I didn't think it was legal anywhere to park in front of hydrants.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I pass on the right if someone's going the speed limit or less in the left. Get used to the fact people go 5 over and accept it, don't try to throw your belief system on everyone else. Around here the farmer types frequently go 5 under and it's frustrating. Keep in mind I've never gotten a ticket in my life... 2 warnings. I'm a smart speeder, and not a reckless one. 10 over is my max unless I'm in the middle of nowhere and usually I only need 5 in South Dakota because the speed limits are higher. On the other hand when I travel to eastern WI I frequently see people doing 15 over on certain roads like it's normal.

With that said, I didn't think it was legal anywhere to park in front of hydrants.
I personally am talking mostly of safety at intersections.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:02 AM

3,329 posts, read 4,802,880 times
Yeah, intersections and also 2-lane streets for me. Passing on the right on freeways or even 4-lane city streets doesn't bother me terribly although the law in most states frown on it. In Milwaukee, the 'shoulders' are heavily used as parking lanes and bicycle lanes which should bring about an extra sense of caution. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to. Having grown up in rural farm country, I understand passing slow farmers and all, but even then, everyone passed on the left because there was no traffic to make them feel like they had to do otherwise.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:27 AM

34 posts, read 39,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Yep. Everywhere else, if there are two people coming from opposite directions waiting to turn left at an intersection, they can both turn b/c they are out of each other's way, then the traffic behind them going straight can go and traffic stays flowing. But here, you really can't do that in many cases b/c the people wanting to go straight just go around, and you can't necessarily see past the guy waiting to turn so if you go, you risk getting hit. And there are not enough left arrows here even at busy intersections (one that comes to mind is Appleton and Capitol), not to mention a lot of no u-turn areas (think Port Washington Rd in Glendale) so it's like you're screwed if God forbid you need to turn left.
I've started seeing new lanes for left turn's alot but in some area's where the streets are small and busy there is very little that can be done. like the east side. but on a lot of the bigger streets/avenues there are a lot of the left turn lanes. But yes i've gotten more than couple of tickets for parking to close to the curb especially around UWM. I also got a ticket in West Allis for parking closer than 15 feet of a fire hydrant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee