U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 12:12 PM

856 posts, read 729,331 times

Advertisements

Are there laws regarding parking in front of hydrants or parking X feet away from a stop sign or intersection? Where I come from the curb in front of fire hydrants is usually painted yellow and you are not allowed to park right at the edge of an intersection. It seems people park right up to the corner of intersecting streets here and there are no yellow lines in front of hydrants. Are there any rules about this? What would happen if there was a fire and your car was parked right in front of the hydrant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 01:01 PM

5,136 posts, read 6,349,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6032 View Post
Are there laws regarding parking in front of hydrants or parking X feet away from a stop sign or intersection? Where I come from the curb in front of fire hydrants is usually painted yellow and you are not allowed to park right at the edge of an intersection. It seems people park right up to the corner of intersecting streets here and there are no yellow lines in front of hydrants. Are there any rules about this? What would happen if there was a fire and your car was parked right in front of the hydrant?
Parking Citations

Heavily enforced, at least in some areas.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:39 PM

3,328 posts, read 5,042,051 times
Milwaukee is in it's own little world when it comes to anything dealing with streets, street design, street maintenance, driver's habits, enforcement of driving laws, etc.
Just the way the lines on the streets are painted are unlike anything I've ever seen, and that's when you can actually still see them because they don't exactly stay on top of that stuff.
I think because of the lack of street upkeep and lack of parking seemingly everywhere, people just do what they can as far as parking and driving around.

That being said, I don't think you can park in front of a hydrant or near a curb. If you park within 1500 feet of a curb, someone driving on the shoulder might plow into you as they are trying to use that lane for a right turn. Yes, driving on the shoulder is generally illegal in much of the lower 48, but in Wisconsin, I've decided that it is actually encouraged at the local driving schools.
Sorry, it's a sore spot. I got rear-ended my first month here over that issue. I was making a right turn the usual way on a city street (from the driving lane, with no indication that the shoulder was to be a turn lane), the other guy was doing it the Milwaukee way. Of course it was my fault.

Last edited by northbound74; 03-25-2012 at 09:09 PM..

Old 03-26-2012, 10:10 AM

434 posts, read 612,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Milwaukee is in it's own little world when it comes to anything dealing with streets, street design, street maintenance, driver's habits, enforcement of driving laws, etc.
Just the way the lines on the streets are painted are unlike anything I've ever seen, and that's when you can actually still see them because they don't exactly stay on top of that stuff.
I think because of the lack of street upkeep and lack of parking seemingly everywhere, people just do what they can as far as parking and driving around.

That being said, I don't think you can park in front of a hydrant or near a curb. If you park within 1500 feet of a curb, someone driving on the shoulder might plow into you as they are trying to use that lane for a right turn. Yes, driving on the shoulder is generally illegal in much of the lower 48, but in Wisconsin, I've decided that it is actually encouraged at the local driving schools.
Sorry, it's a sore spot. I got rear-ended my first month here over that issue. I was making a right turn the usual way on a city street (from the driving lane, with no indication that the shoulder was to be a turn lane), the other guy was doing it the Milwaukee way. Of course it was my fault.
Yeah, that's definitely your fault. Not sure where you come from, but in Milwaukee, Chicago, and everywhere I've been up and down the east coast... you turn from the lane closest to the curb. You move to the parking lane or shoulder before you turn, and then turn, into the inside lane on the cross street. You turning from the middle lane is incorrect, sorry to say. There are no "shoulders" on city streets. Yes, it is illegal to drive in the shoulder. What you are talking about is a parking or turning lane. When there is no solid line on the right side, it is a parking/turning lane.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:36 PM

3,328 posts, read 5,042,051 times
I don't know. Milwaukee is just very different in that respect than any place I've lived before. Most of the streets, especially the main thoroughfares, have these wide parking-lane things that aren't even marked as anything half the time. People do whatever they want with them.
In any other place I've lived in or been to, at least that I can remember, if they expect you to get over to the right onto the shoulder or parking lane or whatever strip of pavement that's there, they clearly mark it as such with arrows and lines.... it's very obvious in other words. Here, it's not obvious at all most of the time.
I like Wisconsin. I'm not trying to insult it over this.
It's just that every time I get in the car and go anywhere, I have to pay very close attention to every move I make. I'm having to change my most basic driving habits over stuff like this. There are other issues concerning operating a car, but that would take too much time and really isn't worth the trouble. I'm outnumbered as long as I live here so it's me that has to change.
Having lived in 6 other states, and visited numerous others, I must say that living here is the most uncomfortable I've been behind the wheel of a car.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:05 PM

4 posts, read 8,252 times
The DMV has some handy manuals on Wisconsin driving laws, FYI. [url=http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers/drivers/apply/handbook.htm]Wisconsin Motorists' Handbook - Wisconsin Department of Transportation[/url]

Old 03-27-2012, 03:37 PM

594 posts, read 373,412 times
The old law was 15 feet from front or back?

Old 03-27-2012, 06:02 PM

6,861 posts, read 12,260,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DASULAR17 View Post
The old law was 15 feet from front or back?
This is still true, as I have witnessed in a rain storm at the corner of Knapp and Franklin PL a "parking Nozi" whip out his tape measure and measure a car and when I had the nerve to ask what he was doing he told me to "Mind your own business son!"

Gotta love the parking checkers of the city of MKE.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:15 PM

434 posts, read 612,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
This is still true, as I have witnessed in a rain storm at the corner of Knapp and Franklin PL a "parking Nozi" whip out his tape measure and measure a car and when I had the nerve to ask what he was doing he told me to "Mind your own business son!"

Gotta love the parking checkers of the city of MKE.
If I'm in a cheerful, immature mood I'll yell "get a real job!" or something similar at them when I see them doing things like that... inspecting real close for chalk marks, etc.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:37 AM

142 posts, read 195,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6032 View Post
What would happen if there was a fire and your car was parked right in front of the hydrant?

Well, there is a good chance that this will happen, along with a hefty parking ticket.

Please, find a better place to park than in front of a fire hydrant. Those seconds needed to find another water source could mean a life, literally!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee