U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-06-2012, 09:33 AM

76 posts, read 49,399 times
Default Moving to MKE Area, don't want to lose value

I am having a hard time with a possible move decision that I and my fiance are making. I currently live in a very nice apartment in Sun Prairie, with great amenities, brand new apartment with a fireplace stainless steel/marble kitchen, real nice apartment overall, for under 1000 rent. I have been given a great offer to work for a company to New Berlin and would like to find a comperable place in that area. I am not to stuck on that area, its more keeping the overall value of my current place in the new place.

I am in my mid 20s, with a fiance and 2 cats and we are average in the going out, bars crowd, so that is not a huge factor. I am more looking for a nice place with 1-2 BD recently remodeled units, nice amenities, and a half decent commute to New Berlin (so most of MKE is in that realm).

I have done a lot of research online, but I can't find a site that will give me all the photos I need to make a decision to call and setup an appt. Can anyone on this forum give me some ideas, of property management companies, websites with up to date information, or actual properties that would fit what we are looking for?

Thanks in advance for any information you can give.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 04:47 PM

6,742 posts, read 11,135,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac2004 View Post
I am having a hard time with a possible move decision that I and my fiance are making. I currently live in a very nice apartment in Sun Prairie, with great amenities, brand new apartment with a fireplace stainless steel/marble kitchen, real nice apartment overall, for under 1000 rent. I have been given a great offer to work for a company to New Berlin and would like to find a comparable place in that area. I am not to stuck on that area, its more keeping the overall value of my current place in the new place.

I am in my mid 20s, with a fiance and 2 cats and we are average in the going out, bars crowd, so that is not a huge factor. I am more looking for a nice place with 1-2 BD recently remodeled units, nice amenities, and a half decent commute to New Berlin (so most of MKE is in that realm).

I have done a lot of research online, but I can't find a site that will give me all the photos I need to make a decision to call and setup an appt. Can anyone on this forum give me some ideas, of property management companies, websites with up to date information, or actual properties that would fit what we are looking for?

Thanks in advance for any information you can give.
Mod Edit Finding a site might be a little hard to do I used to use forrent.com and the magazine they publish as well which can be found in the entrances of grocery stores for free. Southwest side of MKE, Greenfield, Franklin, Oak Creek West Allis and Tosa(wauwatosa). Will all have easy commutes and all MKE suburbs are nice and virtually crime free. I would think you should have an easy time finding what you're looking for. Prices will be a little higher here but for your price range you should be able to find something since there are a ton more apartments in the MKE area than SP. Brookfield and Franklin will be a little pricier due to them being more upscale than say New Berlin or Oak Creek. I don't know if you can take a trip up to Milwaukee and just drive around and start calling some apartment buildings you like.

Last edited by linicx; 05-10-2012 at 12:46 AM.. Reason: Not necessary

Old 05-07-2012, 07:24 AM

I just don't have the time to this, since I have to be working in the meantime, and the drive is 90 minutes. I would like to get a rough list of nice places, then call for apartments. Does anyone have the name of a few places that are nice?

Old 05-07-2012, 09:13 AM

431 posts, read 553,738 times
You don't have the time to browse the Internet to look for apartments? You have the time to come on here to ask people to do it for you, so something tells me you do have time. Nobody is going to be able to find what *you* want, you are going to have to do it yourself.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:01 AM

4,816 posts, read 5,488,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nidex View Post
You don't have the time to browse the Internet to look for apartments? You have the time to come on here to ask people to do it for you, so something tells me you do have time. Nobody is going to be able to find what *you* want, you are going to have to do it yourself.
You nailed it, might as well wrap up the thread. The OP is relocating his/her whole life to a new city that is a measly 75 miles from where they live, and the OP (or fiance) both lack "the time" to check it out? Right.

No wonder this country is failing. Nobody will lift a hand anymore.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:08 AM

All I am saying is that from my research, there are 5-6 year old photos of apartments and crap reviews online. I understand the easiest way to see them is to "see" them. But I am not going to drive around and say "hey that looks nice from the outside", I don't have time for that. I was hoping that someone from the area would chime in saying "hey i lived in this neighborhood, it was nice" or "hey this property management company is good and this apt is great because i lived there". How is that so hard? Doesn't seem like much to ask. There is no point to have this form if you ask questions and people tell you to look on the internet, that's not helpful at all. You think I haven't already done that?

Old 05-08-2012, 08:08 AM

649 posts, read 754,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac2004 View Post
You think I haven't already done that?
This is an anonymous forum on the internet, one cannot set their expectations low enough.

Anyway, don't take this thread personal... people are responding to someone they don't know... you are talking to people you don't know.

As for suggestions, I would look in Wauwatosa & Bayview, but you're on your own for finding the specific apartment. While you may think it's a waste of time to actually stop by potential places to live, that's exactly what I would do. Take a Sunday with you fiance & look in areas you're interested in. My advice is to make time.

If you don't put alot of effort into it, don't expect to find a great place... get a rabbit's foot & 4-leaf clover, you'll need the luck.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:55 PM

117 posts, read 207,645 times
I'm not the best person to ask about apartments since I bought a place when I moved to the area, but I know a couple of people who lived at The Reserve in Wauwatosa and it seems decent, so you may want to check it out: THE RESERVE AT WAUWATOSA VILLAGE Apartment Rentals
That part of town is pretty decent (near some shopping and restaurants). The one problem with that location is that it is right near a foundry, which is something I know I wouldn't want to live near, but you may want to investigate and see if it's something that you mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee