U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-08-2012, 10:00 PM

6 posts, read 4,466 times
Default Possible relocation to Appleton area from San Diego

Hello!
My husband may accept a job in Neenah, WI. We are going to visit the area in a few weeks and I have absolutely no clue where to begin to look. Any advice about neighborhoods would be very helpful. We hear Appleton is a great place to raise a family. We are looking for a neighborhood with great schools, mature trees, a "front porch" community if you will. We would love a neighborhood where there are block parties, etc.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 01:06 AM

2,191 posts, read 3,607,232 times
There are a lot of threads about Appleton here if you use the search feature. Hopefully a moderator will move your post to the general Wisconsin forum, since Appleton is quite a way from Milwaukee.

As for neighborhoods, I always liked the City Park area.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:23 AM

332 posts, read 526,284 times
Good luck. Are you ready for the climate shock?

Old 05-09-2012, 08:24 PM

6 posts, read 4,466 times
Hey thanks! I didn't realize I was posting in the Milwaukee forum. I grew up in Columbus Ohio. I think the weather will be a shock, but having space and a yard sounds dreamy!

Old 05-25-2012, 08:12 PM

1,357 posts, read 3,392,117 times
The south side of Appleton might fit what you are looking for. Look around the Meadow Grove BLVD area, which is about 25 years old, in the Berry/Madison/East district, and is very wooded. I've got 44 trees in my yard, granted its a double lot. And we have a block party every year, matter of fact this weekend is the neighborhood rummage sale. The north side of Appleton, and the SE side of Neenah, has a lot of newer development, however the mature trees are not as plentiful. Check it out on Bing maps or something

also here's a local website from an appleton loving resident Welcome to Appleton, Wisconsin (Appleton: A Great Place to Live!)

Old 06-16-2012, 09:43 PM

915 posts, read 1,082,556 times
If you want a nice quiet bedroom community try Kimberly. Its great for kids with a new YMCA close by. Also, its connected to Appleton. Just cross a street in Appleton and your in Kimberly.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:39 AM

11 posts, read 14,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen01 View Post
Hello!
My husband may accept a job in Neenah, WI. We are going to visit the area in a few weeks and I have absolutely no clue where to begin to look. Any advice about neighborhoods would be very helpful. We hear Appleton is a great place to raise a family. We are looking for a neighborhood with great schools, mature trees, a "front porch" community if you will. We would love a neighborhood where there are block parties, etc.

Thanks so much!
My wife and I are moving to Dotty Island this summer. While we were searching, we looked at many areas in Fox Valley. As far has having a great school system, mature trees, and a family-friendly neighborhood, there are (literally) dozens of places that would work. In fact, that pretty much describes 95% of the Appleton-Neenah-Oshkosh area. A few questions for you:

1 - Do you want to live close to shopping and restaurants? Really you will be close no matter what, but do you want to be 5 or 20 minutes away from the major areas? If so, Appleton is your best bet. That is where the mall and most restaurants are. Neenah, Appleton, and Oshkosh all have nice downtown areas (of various sizes).

2 - Do you mind living near a college? The University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh is, obviously, located in Oshkosh. Oshkosh is not, however, a college town.

3 - How close to the lakes do you want to live? A couple of lakes to choose from. Houses get more expensive the closer you are.

4 - How big of house do you want? Do you mind if the house is older? If you want "newer" houses you generally have to go to the western side of the cities (since everything east has the lake).

In general, I would highly recommend checking out Neenah, Clayton, and west-Oshkosh. Oh, not many "block parties" around, but plenty (and I mean plenty) of watering holes that you can meet people at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee