Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 01:11 PM

5,015 posts, read 7,391,691 times

Advertisements

I left Milwaukee for South Florida in '95 and am considering moving back in the spring.
(This area has changed drastically and while I love the weather, the COL is out of control and it's far from laid back here now.)

After being gone so long and reading threads on here.. I had completely forgotten about the racist tensions there and am scared of what's happened there in the past few years.

I'm a white, 50 year old female and not racist whatsoever.
For almost 17 years, I haven't experienced anything down here that goes on in Milwaukee.

Blacks/white here? No issues as far as being able to mingle in public places without any violence/attitudes towards each other...

(Or at least the situations I was involved in in Milwaukee where a random black woman would verbally assault me for existing... this happened countless times and scared me senseless.)

Is anybody doing anything to try and unite the citizens of Milwaukee or do you think things will continue to escalate or?

I'd love to move back, but that 1950s mentality of "us vs them".. I couldn't live like that.

Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 05:15 PM

66 posts, read 326,288 times
Not sure what kind of dystopian wasteland you have been led to believe Milwaukee has turned into, but that's not been my experience at all. White male, 34 years old... have lived here off and on since I was 18. I have never gotten into a confrontation with anyone that seemed to be based on my race. I have (once or twice) been in a public setting where some white people said some crude things to a Muslim, but even then nothing that threatened to boil over into violence.

If you intend to work for the police department or social services then I guess all bets are off, because you will be seeing Milwaukee through eyes that will paint it at it's worst. But short of that, I'd say don't burn any crosses in random North side yards and you will be just fine.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:02 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,158,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
I left Milwaukee for South Florida in '95 and am considering moving back in the spring.
(This area has changed drastically and while I love the weather, the COL is out of control and it's far from laid back here now.)

After being gone so long and reading threads on here.. I had completely forgotten about the racist tensions there and am scared of what's happened there in the past few years.

I'm a white, 50 year old female and not racist whatsoever.
For almost 17 years, I haven't experienced anything down here that goes on in Milwaukee.

Blacks/white here? No issues as far as being able to mingle in public places without any violence/attitudes towards each other...

(Or at least the situations I was involved in in Milwaukee where a random black woman would verbally assault me for existing... this happened countless times and scared me senseless.)

Is anybody doing anything to try and unite the citizens of Milwaukee or do you think things will continue to escalate or?

I'd love to move back, but that 1950s mentality of "us vs them".. I couldn't live like that.

Opinions?
Well, you guys did help elect mr obama. We all know just how helpful that was.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:03 PM

I apologize if I came off in an insulting manner. I just have no desire to return to the city if there's a ton of racial tension regardless of any specific group. I get there are ignorant people in every city but in doing my reasearch online the Milwaukee area shows many hits for racial problems. I genuinely can't tolerate it and have no desire to participate in that kind of ignorance. No need to be mean in your response

Last edited by cfbs2691; 08-23-2012 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: originally typed from my phone: spelling errors

Old 08-23-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
Well, you guys did help elect mr obama. We all know just how helpful that was.
Glad you live in Arkansas.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:05 PM

8,275 posts, read 22,994,729 times
Sorry but from my experience racism in Milwaukee is a non issue. You make Milwaukee sound like Selma not the case, maybe it's just my circle or since I live in Walker's Point but we all seem to get along very well. As a white man I am not afraid to go up to midtown to grab some checkers or go down S.16th St to grab some Mexican food. Most black people that I am friends usually comment how friendly Milwaukee is and say how down to earth everyone feels, side not most of my black friends have relocated here from Chicago or Chicago suburbs.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:44 PM

4,659 posts, read 3,820,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post

Where did you live in Milwaukee?

Old 08-23-2012, 10:15 PM

830 posts, read 1,717,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabrasco LaFonz View Post
\ I have never gotten into a confrontation with anyone that seemed to be based on my race. I have (once or twice) been in a public setting where some white people said some crude things to a Muslim, but even then nothing that threatened to boil over into violence.
I'm sure that Milwaukee isn't any better or worse than most other major cities...but this statement made me shake my head. What about the Sikh temple shooting that just happened? White supremacist kills people at their place of worship (probably thinking they were Muslim based on their clothing). Yes, I wouldn't generalize based on that one incident...but your comment makes it sound like you didn't even know about it.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:17 PM

774 posts, read 1,850,070 times
@Dutchman01 ... that my friend... is a racist, stupid, brainwashed remark to make. I suggest you turn off Fox News and educate yourself to the larger forces at work in our nation.

I don't see how Obama has anything to do with the question of ethnic openness in Milwaukee.
Oh ... wait.
Is what you're saying... any time you see the word, "black" you think, "Obama"?
Perhaps... any time you feel angry, you think, "Obama"?
((LMAO))

If it were only so simple...
You sir, is why I didn't move to Arkansas.

... and why on earth did you post that tasteless photo of a blind girl?

Old 08-24-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Where did you live in Milwaukee?
The incidents that happened were always in mall parking lots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee