Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2012, 12:49 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times

Advertisements

We all complain about the wack or lack of leadership in Milwaukee so what would you do? In this thread it isn't enough just to say "They need to fix MPS!" how would you fix it and please be specific this is no time for platitudes. So what would you do if you were mayor of the city of Milwaukee? Here is my list of most important things to fix:

1. Crime
2. MPS
3. MMSD
4. Infrastructure
5. Taxes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 07:27 PM

319 posts, read 664,771 times
Have better education standards with quality control and reward system can possibly improve MPS and Crime at the same time. Significant contract "adjustment" with WEAC with standards and rewards could have an effect on education and taxes. Majority of property taxes fund education.

Crime and education is a cultural issue just like healthcare and costs. People need to take better care of themselves before any significant progress will happen.

MMSD is almost a lost cause, to convert combined sewer system it'll take decades and Billions of dollars. Possibly have federal assistance to have a more sustainable sewer system.

In my opinion as a state engineer, majority of our State roads and bridges are adequate, the state is divided up by regions and each area have different political forces. Each region have different quality of roads and priorities. Roads in the NE region are generally better than SE due to politics and corruption. It is the same at the city level. Install a standards and rewards system and infrastructure will improve. Need public servants that serve the public instead of covering their asses with higher paying private sector jobs when they retire early.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:39 PM

174 posts, read 596,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkin View Post
Have better education standards with quality control and reward system can possibly improve MPS and Crime at the same time. Significant contract "adjustment" with WEAC with standards and rewards could have an effect on education and taxes. Majority of property taxes fund education.

Crime and education is a cultural issue just like healthcare and costs. People need to take better care of themselves before any significant progress will happen.

MMSD is almost a lost cause, to convert combined sewer system it'll take decades and Billions of dollars. Possibly have federal assistance to have a more sustainable sewer system.

In my opinion as a state engineer, majority of our State roads and bridges are adequate, the state is divided up by regions and each area have different political forces. Each region have different quality of roads and priorities. Roads in the NE region are generally better than SE due to politics and corruption. It is the same at the city level. Install a standards and rewards system and infrastructure will improve. Need public servants that serve the public instead of covering their asses with higher paying private sector jobs when they retire early.
These are all good points. I would also add that Milwaukee needs to get serious about attracting business and industry to the area. Milwaukee and the current political leadership do next to nothing about this. This is why many college graduates leave the area because there are better oppportunities elsewhere.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:22 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,781,314 times
I think the root of the problem is, that the families, teachers, and people of importance to the children in Milwaukee Public schools, just don't care whether the students do well or not. You have to understand that a child who goes to school everyday, learns nothing, and returns to an often difficult situation at home, will not do well. It's a never ending cycle. When that child grows up, and his children don't do well, they might end up unemployed or in a gang, or in any other un-undeal situation you can think of.

Education is the root of the problem and needs to be fixed as others have mentioned above. Now, on how you go about fixing this is beyond me.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:58 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
We all complain about the wack or lack of leadership in Milwaukee so what would you do? In this thread it isn't enough just to say "They need to fix MPS!" how would you fix it and please be specific this is no time for platitudes. So what would you do if you were mayor of the city of Milwaukee? Here is my list of most important things to fix:

1. Crime
2. MPS
3. MMSD
4. Infrastructure
5. Taxes
I would also had jobs to this too. And public transportation. A decent rail system never hurts.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:29 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,237,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I would also had jobs to this too. And public transportation. A decent rail system never hurts.
Whatever happened to the repair of the rail from Milwaukee to Chicago line? Presently, the Chicago line, old (CNW) ends in Kenosha. Was the rail repair killed due to funding problems?

There are times I wished there were a rail going to Milwaukee.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:08 AM

319 posts, read 664,771 times
Amtrak still runs Milwaukee to Chicago

Old 11-04-2012, 01:08 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,237,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkin View Post
Amtrak still runs Milwaukee to Chicago
I wasn't talking about the Hiawatha service. I thought at one time metra was considering extending "commuter" service into milwaukee.
I am guessing that since there are 14 hiawatha trains daily, there's no need for a commuter rail?

If I wanted to catch a train to milwaukee, I'd need to drive to sturtevant. If the metra line extended to milwaukee, I could just drive over to the kenosha terminal and catch the train there.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:48 PM

2 posts, read 2,492 times
Regarding the problems with the schools, I'd use this to solve them. Keep their bellies full, and their minds will be emptied of malice.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:32 PM

180 posts, read 327,659 times
Pass a law where everyone is required to wear a name tag so we can greet each other by name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee