U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 09:39 AM

47 posts, read 99,461 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Milwaukee my whole life (I'm 29) on the east and northwest side of Milwaukee and although I'm comfortable here, I just can't take ignorant people living here.

I don't believe Milwaukee is segregated because of color, I think it's segrgated based on who have money and who doesn't and those who don't have much money seems to not want more for themselves.

I see young men who don't seem to care about anything in life and girls who think being a ***** is a way of life. I know it's in every city but because Milwaukee is so small, it seems like most of the community acts this way.

You can't keep a club open for no more than a month without idiots shooting each other.

For some reason here people think being ghetto is a good thing. I have been dissed so much by people because of the way I talk or act.

I understand the job situations in this city but finishing school is one way to accomplish something with your life. I saw my parents struggle very hard yet they still manage to feed their family. So I have some sympathy for some who have criminal records but are trying to get a good decent job or for single mothers doing it without assistantance. But imo, that's a small number of people. The majority act like they are owned something and don't even try to achieve anything with their life. They look at music videos and think they are suppose to have what the rappers have and instead of working for it they would rather rob or kill someone for it.

It's sad and I think it's time for me to leave.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:31 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,808,722 times
I"m sorry to hear you're leaving Milwaukee. I've never been to WI but I would not mind visiting there. I heard the people are very nice.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:20 PM

115 posts, read 536,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle29 View Post
I think it's segrgated based on who have money and who doesn't and those who don't have much money seems to not want more for themselves.

I see young men who don't seem to care about anything in life and girls who think being a ***** is a way of life. I know it's in every city but because Milwaukee is so small, it seems like most of the community acts this way.

You can't keep a club open for no more than a month without idiots shooting each other.

For some reason here people think being ghetto is a good thing. I have been dissed so much by people because of the way I talk or act.
If you think any of this is unique to Milwaukee, or a bigger problem in Milwaukee than elsewhere you are going to be sorely disappointed. I'm curious where you are planning to go?

Old 10-11-2007, 01:31 PM

47 posts, read 99,461 times
I don't know yet. I want to move down south but I'm a city girl so I know the South will be too slow for me.

I was thinking of Chicago or New York. I have been to NY several times and although it's very dirty, it's a huge city.

I know these problems are in every city but since Milwaukee is so small, it seems like it's a huge problem here.

I know if I move to a bigger city I will find more professional, respectful people to mingle with.

Here in Milwaukee it's very few of us or we are overshadowed by the ignorant folks here who are more of the problem than the solution.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:08 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,492,057 times
Perhaps the problem is the people you hang around with and what you do with your time. If you join professional networking groups, live in professional/academic areas of town, and go to upscale bars that target professionals, you might begin to think of that as the reality. These things exist in Milwaukee, and you can certainly surround yourself with this world, but you have to take action; the different atmosphere won't just come to you.

If you move to places like Chicago and Seattle and NYC, you'll have a higher percentage of professionals that you can potentially hang around with, but it will depend on which clubs/bars you frequent, what work environments you're in, and your social milieu.

I live in the Mke metro, and though I know that the "ghetto culture" exists, I choose not to be a part of it. I come across people who are into that stuff, but only in passing. My life intersects more with people who are more professional and mature than that--by my own choosing. It also helps that I don't watch tv and don't let myself be pulled by celebrity culture in general. I rarely go to bars, and when I do, I go to places that are tried-and-true upscale and professional. These things are out there, but you have to make the effort to get to know them and detach yourself from the environments and influences that do bother you.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:33 AM

After my first admittedly snarky post I thought about this a little more. I am surprised you are looking at Chicago or NYC considering the things you are concerned about. Perhaps you and big city life just don't mix well... we all have our own comfort zone. What about thinking smaller instead of bigger?

Old 10-12-2007, 07:53 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,618,082 times
Anyone who thinks that Milwaukee isn't downward spiraling faster than just about any other big city is naive. The last ten years have been shocking.
Blame white flight to the cookie cutter western suburbs. At this rate, Milwaukee will be another Detroit in ten or fifteen years.

What a shame. Such a great city.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:04 AM

428 posts, read 1,169,479 times
The trick is to build your own community of friends and acquaintances who share your ideals and spend your time with them. I don't think there is anywhere on the planet where you can get away from society's ills. Certain communities seem to aggregate people with hate and ignorance and I am talking about community in the social group sense, not the place sense.

Milwaukee is comparatively small yet it is big enough that you can avoid people you don't agree with. If you actively seek hate groups, you can find representatives of every one imaginable in Milwaukee. You can also find them in greater numbers in larger cities. I've lived in cities where there have been huge anti-immigrant and fascist marches yet the cities themselves are much safer and saner than Milwaukee for whites or blacks to live.

My advice to you is stop worrying about the people who want to live "ghetto". Avoid them and ignore them. You can't change them but you can change yourself. There are a great number of people in Milwaukee who care, who are active in communities, and are passionate.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Blame white flight to the cookie cutter western suburbs.
This has happened in almost every major American city. How does this affect Milwaukee more than any other place?

Old 10-12-2007, 09:03 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,727,225 times
I totally sympathize with you.

I packed up and left at 29 myself. I lived on 21st Clarke, 20th & Cherry, & 35th and Clarke. I went to Pulaski and Washington and even though I was raised around certain behaviors and certain folks I always chose to conduct myself in a certain way. Growing up was difficult because I didn't act a fool as an adult it was even more an issue because people assumed I thought I was better than them, because I refused to act in ways that I knew would negatively impact my life. Even still I could ignore the ignorance but when it got to the point where I saw how my children would end up paying for some of the stupidity, I saw it was time to bounce. The saying "it's about who you surround yourself with" holds no merit if your somewhere that collectivlely seems to be infested with certain ignorant behaviors. Don't get me wrong, everyone wasn't like that but it just seemed like more and more people were conforming to the self destructive behaviors that were killing us. I remember living on 44th and Meinecke and seeing ADULTS tell their children to go jump another children. People would stop in the street and shoot at each other, women would be outside fighting each other, and God forbid you are someone who tried to add some positivity to the life of one of the kids, you were seen as the enemy. The sad part is seeing IGNORANT folk raise kids. I joined a mentoring organization there and for a little while it was great, unfortunatly though it seemed as though the city was getting ridiculous and I had to make the decision that it was time to make a change for my childrens sake.

I relocated to Dallas and although it has issues too, there are so many opportunities right now that if you end up in a bad way here, it's because you simply refused to do better. It's ok for you to want better out of life and to do what you have to do to make it better for yourself. Your not hurting anyone but yourself by staying in a place that isn't good for you let alone to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle29 View Post
I have lived in Milwaukee my whole life (I'm 29) on the east and northwest side of Milwaukee and although I'm comfortable here, I just can't take ignorant people living here.

I don't believe Milwaukee is segregated because of color, I think it's segrgated based on who have money and who doesn't and those who don't have much money seems to not want more for themselves.

I understand the job situations in this city but finishing school is one way to accomplish something with your life. I saw my parents struggle very hard yet they still manage to feed their family. So I have some sympathy for some who have criminal records but are trying to get a good decent job or for single mothers doing it without assistantance. But imo, that's a small number of people. The majority act like they are owned something and don't even try to achieve anything with their life. They look at music videos and think they are suppose to have what the rappers have and instead of working for it they would rather rob or kill someone for it.

It's sad and I think it's time for me to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee